AAA

Help Support CattleToday:

Read from other posts the BOD did investigate and interview folks. If its like Robert sugests and theres been nothing found and they reverse there decision that will make them spineless.
The whole delegate and electing thing is just a whos who.
They made there decision wait till after elections and see how all that plays out, could be interesting in Nov.

robert":3veq4p9p said:
you will find out that this whole deal was engineered by some BOD and staff to oust the CEO, if the whole truth ever comes out there will be some BOD being asked to resign. The letter itself is a gutless, whiny piece of garbage. No specific complaints, no specific examples of mismanagement to be cited as reasons to fire the CEO, no smoking gun. The CEO was put in this position of dealing with a mutiny, the BOD acted to endorse the CEO and dismiss the complainants. I heard last night that the BOD is about to undo all this and maybe fire the CEO after all, that would be a real travesty and disservice to the membership.

If I was a BOD, I would have to consider it. The well has been poisoned by someone and ultimately the buck has to stop somewhere. I certainly don't pretend to know the inner workings of the AAA, but someone has to take charge of this situation and redo, rehire and reorganize everything in order to get the association going in the right direction. New blood may be the best way. Short term will be hard, but may be the best in the long term.

How is the AAA structured? Is the CEO hired by the BOD and the CEO is in charge of putting his staff and structure together and they all report to him, and the CEO reports to the BOD?

robert":3rssknpj said:
you will find out that this whole deal was engineered by some BOD and staff to oust the CEO, if the whole truth ever comes out there will be some BOD being asked to resign. The letter itself is a gutless, whiny piece of garbage. No specific complaints, no specific examples of mismanagement to be cited as reasons to fire the CEO, no smoking gun. The CEO was put in this position of dealing with a mutiny, the BOD acted to endorse the CEO and dismiss the complainants. I heard last night that the BOD is about to undo all this and maybe fire the CEO after all, that would be a real travesty and disservice to the membership.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CEO retires sometime late in the fiscal year but would be disturbed if he was forced out quickly. Were the board to reverse field entirely and offer positions back to the twelve and fire the CEO would be stunningly poor stewardship.

Red Bull Breeder":4yi8g2nq said:
I believe under paid CEO's is why tax payers had to bail out 2 auto companies and countless banks.
NO...it was unscrupulous CEO's and boards of directors who were making bad business decisions. High salaries are seldom the cause of the collapse of an entire industry.

alexfarms":x7ud1pue said:
Jake":x7ud1pue said:
alexfarms":x7ud1pue said:
It's called common sense and yes, I do read others posts before I respond. A CEO doesn't fire 15 employees and then complain about having created "challenging times". Cow numbers are down across the country. AHA raised its fees last fall, they'll probably do it again. Most CEOs are overpaid and most of the low men on the totum pole are underpaid.

Go read about what actually happened and the reasons it was carried out instead of applying your "common sense" I don't read the statement issues as complaining it is informing of membership of a change in who is going to be dealing with them on a daily basis and to expect some challenges as they replace the staff. You're are trying to talk about something that has no place in the discussion of these events.

As a business owner and former longtime corporate ladder climber within a fine, HUGE corporation, I can safely say there are a LOT of reasons other than money these employees could have been fired. Yes, it could have been money, or it could have been an uprising within the ranks, or it could have been about technology, or it could have been about performance, or it could have been a new direction the CEO wanted to take the corporation. It could have any and/or all of the above. Too many possibilities for a peon like me to know about and discuss with any authority, for sure. It's sad when anyone loses their job. I'm a small Simmy and commercial guy, but I see the AAA letter as a customer service tool to inform current and prospective members of a change in the company structure. As far as tough times, I don't see those comments as having to do with anything other than the direct challenge of rebuilding key positions within the business. If we're not living in difficult times in our country, then we're not living...

David

TexasBred":1o2nxgtp said:
Red Bull Breeder":1o2nxgtp said:
I believe under paid CEO's is why tax payers had to bail out 2 auto companies and countless banks.
NO...it was unscrupulous CEO's and boards of directors who were making bad business decisions. High salaries are seldom the cause of the collapse of an entire industry.

and it was gov't leaders, namely Christopher Dodd and Barney Frank, who forced many or most of the banks into subprime lending with their strong arm tactics via Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Just had to call a spade a spade. Yes...greed also played a part in the recession....and a boat load of stupidity!

David

smnherf":a1ffgvvb said:
robert":a1ffgvvb said:

If I was a BOD, I would have to consider it. The well has been poisoned by someone and ultimately the buck has to stop somewhere. I certainly don't pretend to know the inner workings of the AAA, but someone has to take charge of this situation and redo, rehire and reorganize everything in order to get the association going in the right direction. New blood may be the best way. Short term will be hard, but may be the best in the long term.

How is the AAA structured? Is the CEO hired by the BOD and the CEO is in charge of putting his staff and structure together and they all report to him, and the CEO reports to the BOD?

The CEO is hired by and reports to the board. The COO was the liaison between CEO and staff/depts. If there was a real failure of communication that is on the COO not the CEO. This whole deal has been engineered, manipulated and trumped up by a small core of control freaks and then egos.

robert":3e09nfko said:
The CEO is hired by and reports to the board. The COO was the liaison between CEO and staff/depts. If there was a real failure of communication that is on the COO not the CEO. This whole deal has been engineered, manipulated and trumped up by a small core of control freaks and then egos.

Sounds like with where some of the employees are landing at for new jobs that this was a total power play to try to get the association to do things with EPDs and genetic testing that current management wouldn't support. Everything I've heard suggests the snakes were the ones that got their heads chopped off.

robert":29ripk43 said:
smnherf":29ripk43 said:
robert":29ripk43 said:

The question is then did the good guys win or did they stay in power? I suppose time will tell.

alexfarms":3rrwlti4 said:
Well you've proven you don't know how to delete previous quotes, so yes you my not have even an ounce sense.
If you can't argue with what they say, attack them on how they say it. After a few years of reading Jake's post's I can just about promise you he's got more sense than most. If I had to choose between either you or him to meet in person it would be a pretty easy choice. :mrgreen:

cow pollinater":2ux77dl6 said:
alexfarms":2ux77dl6 said:
Well you've proven you don't know how to delete previous quotes, so yes you my not have even an ounce sense.
If you can't argue with what they say, attack them on how they say it. After a few years of reading Jake's post's I can just about promise you he's got more sense than most. If I had to choose between either you or him to meet in person it would be a pretty easy choice. :mrgreen:

That post was in response to his post where he said he had no sense you took it out of context. The only person making a personal attack in your post is you And of course it also has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Jake":1xwkptcu said:
Sounds like with where some of the employees are landing at for new jobs that this was a total power play to try to get the association to do things with EPDs and genetic testing that current management wouldn't support.
That won't work... I've seen that in the dairy side of things since way before genetic testing got hot on the beef side of things. Genomics and EPD's are worth about the equivalent of ten milking daughters on the dairy side... nowhere near proven but a good head start. The companies that jumped on it hard and started selling genomic tested unproven bulls along side their proven line-up are now backpedaling hard but the damage is already done and the customers know it... NOTHING beats progeny proven.

alexfarms":31ljtiuz said:
smnherf":31ljtiuz said:
The question is then did the good guys win or did they stay in power? I suppose time will tell.

It's a wide divide.

:lol:
There is a book called Sheppard Lee that parodies the personality types who join and thrive in organizations, political parties, social clubs, etc. Some of the posts could have been stolen directly from the pages except that it is out of print from the 19th century.

I agree with you that it is about the money. EPD's are nothing but a marketing tool masquerading as hard science. Greatest line of bull shee yit I have ever heard:

"It is all about the numbers, and if they look good that is a plus."
Mark Gardiner
:bs: :bs: :bs: :roll:

And if we are judging strictly on who has the best cattle, well that one isn't even close. Anytime you want to let some of your cows go I will have a trailer there in under 24 hours.

This situation with the AAA is unfortunate for many reasons. Looking at the list of personnel that are no longer there has to have an impact. There were many years of service by many of them, and along with the knowledge, and will take time to replace with new people who will need to get up to speed.

What is happening at the AAA in part, isn't about doing what may be in the best interest of the Association, but just as any other registry where there is an elected board, there are always political (and even sometimes personal ones as well) agendas. Just like any other elected position more money is spent on all of the campaigning for what is returned in pay or other remuneration. The major portion of the membership is from smaller breeders.

Only time will tell if this was the way things should have been done or not.

well it has been quite a few years since the AAA had a fight and ended up shooting itself in the foot but this sure is not the first time....
I guess the old themes of the big time cattlemen wanting to run the whole range will never end....

made for many a good western....

Seems its died down on these boards, the ones with there feelings hurt may be getting over it. I went to a sale yesterday our X RM was there maybe finishing what he started in the sale books not sure, but it sure didnt change him any he still only talked to the high rollers, if it was me i would talk to everyone that walked through the door( i would have before i got fired also)because most everyone that walks through the door has a vote for a delegate, even though thats a good ol boy thing to.
heard a few talking that the AAA was headed down hill Tom Burke will loose half his clients and so on. I have to believe the BOD made the right decision and the AAA will be better off in the long run, without snakes. The truth of the whole thing may never come out to everyone, but i like for someone to tell me if they have a problem with me, not try and blind side me like these folks did, thats how i decided which side of the fence to be on.

bse":2rky90xp said:
Seems its died down on these boards, the ones with there feelings hurt may be getting over it. I went to a sale yesterday our X RM was there maybe finishing what he started in the sale books not sure, but it sure didnt change him any he still only talked to the high rollers, if it was me i would talk to everyone that walked through the door( i would have before i got fired also)because most everyone that walks through the door has a vote for a delegate, even though thats a good ol boy thing to.
heard a few talking that the AAA was headed down hill Tom Burke will loose half his clients and so on. I have to believe the BOD made the right decision and the AAA will be better off in the long run, without snakes. The truth of the whole thing may never come out to everyone, but i like for someone to tell me if they have a problem with me, not try and blind side me like these folks did, thats how i decided which side of the fence to be on.

Couple of things in this post that don't bother me but I think deserve a response......for one thing it has always been part of the fieldmans jobe to identify and encourage the new investor and breeder....the high rollers are after all the ones with the money....no one cares if I show up at a sale cause they all know I am not buying a thing....I was a breeder not a buyer...didn't play the you buy mine and I'll buy yours game....

The angus breed may be on the slide again but if so it is because of self induced breed genetic problems that will be sorted out and corrected....I see a lot of breeders quietly shifting the directions of their breeding programs....

thirdly I have had the misfortune in my life of working for a snake or two....they are the kind that you can not go to and talk out problems....they will strike every time....that is the nature of a snake...and being familiar with a few of the signatories of the letter I think the wrong group may be characterized with slithering tendencies......conditions would have to be pretty bad to induce folks to sign on to that kind of document....more than mischevious behavior or blind ambition....look at the years of service represented without any previous cries of foul....

Hey Jim;
I'll offer up another option.....
Maybe the 4 complaint signatories that applied for the CEO job 5 years ago and did not get it were ticked off because they got passed over. Maybe they have been sitting in the grass like snakes waiting to strike.........

Don't guess or assume, find the facts that lead to the truth.

Latest posts