Has AAA always had the $xH and $xJ

Help Support CattleToday:

Peace

Reaction score
or is this something new and I just haven't seen it. Seems the terminal and carcass traits equate to higher numbers. If it's a new thing, then they are probably pushing it hard to dairy farms,

In case you don't know, it's $ crossed with holstein or jersey... whatever that means

It's a fairly recent metric. They're trying to help dairy producers pick bulls that will improve carcass quality, particularly ribeye area. The vast majority of Angus semen being sold now is bought by dairy farms.

These beef on dairy index's are horse crap. Holstein's already marble, heck pure Holstein's go prime more than beef as a percentage.

The long and short of these index's are big feedlots are claiming to be more sustainable feeding these crossbred calves thus getting carbon credits.

Index's are not even the right kind of cattle to use on holsteins.

I just sent 2 heifers sired by homeraised Angus bulls to plant 2 weeks ago. Just short of 18 months. Both sires of heifers were in both 70% for both indexs.

1 went prime other went CAB.

Both returned live weight after trucking and commission $1.539 in my pocket. @ 1262.5# each that was just short of $1943/head. That was higher than our local sale barn on colored cattle by 6-7 cents and would have commission and trucking yet! I'll use my bad index bulls on my dairy cattle.

I've feed crossbreds sired by every kind of beef bull out there. Very little difference in growth or how they finish in most sires. I find the ones that work the best are higher birthweight and stouter made cattle. Clubby stuff works real well on holsteins.
yup - and very low % reliability
but they all will give you heterosis and that might be the most reliable of al

Latest posts