a question for commercial operators

Help Support CattleToday:

doesnt make me mad... chasing fads in the past is one reasons you see variation,... but the overall majority of cattle here come from herds of 25 to 30 head with year round calving and herd heath is a white salt block ... corn shucks and watermelon rinds for treats

bluegoose 1":3cz63194 said:
At our local sale barn. They sold 1754 head on 8/17/10. On 8/21/10 they sold 2061 I would say less than 20% were sold in groups. Group cattle are generally Holsteins and Jersey steers. This a beef cattle sale barn. If they sale over 5 hours that is a long day, seldom does this happen.This barn is in Emory Texas.
Bluegoose1

Texarkana is the same way.

alacattleman":2hj66wgk said:
doesnt make me mad... chasing fads in the past is one reasons you see variation,... but the overall majority of cattle here come from herds of 25 to 30 head with year round calving and herd heath is a white salt block ... corn shucks and watermelon rinds for treats

Most of the complainers in this part of the world run their operations that way as well. They don't treat it like a business, more like a hobby, but expect to get paid like a professional. Consistency and quality are our goals, even when we go to presort sales, because there will be more of our calves in the same group. Lots of 25-50 sell much better than the groups of 6 or less.

I got a broker i can sell thru works pretty good. They buy three days a week at there farm. I can call tonight tell tater what i got he will give me the price over the phone. No commisson just the check off dollars.

people on here are talking about pre sort sales I AM NOT the barns will sort and sell MY calves in groups it doesn't take much sorting because mine are the same weight,size and type and they don't co mingle mine with anyone elses in the ring

the point I was trying to make is raise consistant matched calves and you will profit from it and it doesn't take the biggest calf in the sale to make that profit most order buyer would rather have consistant cattle than the biggest cattle

consistency in cows and bulls is what gets the most $$$ everytime

AngusLimoX":2jmt47px said:
Red Bull Breeder":2jmt47px said:
Mine are consistant.

Yes but their poopie stinks and Angus Cattlemans doesn't.

:lol: :lol: Ok, I wasn't going to do this but now I have too...:

Mine are Consistant too..........each one is just a little different than the other ones........consistently. :oops: :lol:

AngusLimoX":35i332ni said:
Red Bull Breeder":35i332ni said:
Mine are consistant.

don't know who pulled your friggin chain but get off
I posted a topic that I wanted a peoples opinion on and didn't say anything derrogatory towards you or anyone else

Angus Cowman":yvljdh68 said:
AngusLimoX":yvljdh68 said:
Red Bull Breeder":yvljdh68 said:
Mine are consistant.

I posted a topic that I wanted a peoples opinion on and didn't say anything derrogatory towards you or anyone else

It doesn't appear to me that you want anyone elses opinion, you seem to need to blab about how YOU do things.
I don't have the time right now to set you down and explain why lots of "people on here" might not have large uniform groups of calves. But I will give you a clue, since you seem to need one. Profitability.

Pre-sort sales are a great option for people that don't calve 200 plus cows. I want to get there, and I WILL have consistent cattle, but right now as we are re-building a herd; the numbers aren't there for me to have a truck-load lot of MY cattle going through the ring in one group.

Don't piss on pre-sort sales because you don't need them. They are a valuable tool for a percentage of producers for various reasons.

BTW, there will ALWAYS be calves of two colours on our operation. We develop our own F1s in-house, which means there will be a bunch of "cull" red steers every year. The top-notch calves will be the buck-skins out of the commercial herd, but there will be a group of "off" coloured calves to sell each year.

A rainbow herd is one thing, but a designed program that has some cast-offs along the way is quite another.

Angus Cowman":13yi2pdg said:
AngusLimoX":13yi2pdg said:
Red Bull Breeder":13yi2pdg said:
Mine are consistant.

dont have to pull it... its comes pre pulled :cowboy:

fargus":1x1ojt6u said:
Pre-sort sales are a great option for people that don't calve 200 plus cows. I want to get there, and I WILL have consistent cattle, but right now as we are re-building a herd; the numbers aren't there for me to have a truck-load lot of MY cattle going through the ring in one group.

Don't be nice on pre-sort sales because you don't need them. They are a valuable tool for a percentage of producers for various reasons.

BTW, there will ALWAYS be calves of two colours on our operation. We develop our own F1s in-house, which means there will be a bunch of "cull" red steers every year. The top-notch calves will be the buck-skins out of the commercial herd, but there will be a group of "off" coloured calves to sell each year.

A rainbow herd is one thing, but a designed program that has some cast-offs along the way is quite another.

That is exactly what I was trying to get across
I am not p$ssing on presort sales at all heck I think they are a great option for people
The rainbow herd (your words) are what I don't understand when people have to sell calves and then complain about the prices they get
I wasn't trying to brag about anything I do I was just using that as an example and wondering why more people don't try to run a consistant herd of cows
it doesn't matter what breed you like and I have never forced Angus down anyones throat I was just wanting some peoples opinions and reasons for having a RAINBOW HERD because it can't be PROFITABILITY as AssLiX stated

Angus Cowman":2ditwjfa said:
I am not p$ssing on presort sales at all heck I think they are a great option for people
The rainbow herd (your words) are what I don't understand when people have to sell calves and then complain about the prices they get
I wasn't trying to brag about anything I do I was just using that as an example and wondering why more people don't try to run a consistant herd of cows
it doesn't matter what breed you like and I have never forced Angus down anyones throat I was just wanting some peoples opinions and reasons for having a RAINBOW HERD because it can't be PROFITABILITY as AssLiX stated
Well, lets get another thing straight.....If I complain about the price we get for cattle, it isn't because of the price I get but the price we as a whole (meaning everyone) gets. I don't think any of us are compensated fairly for the cost risks involved.

Angus Cowman":kuyefqpn said:

Childish name calling. Longtimelurker might ne right on the money about the credibility of your posts.

Got another couple hours of tedding, then maybe I'll let you know how some other people might view the situation.

BC":24f7izfh said:
For as many cattle as we have in this area (the USDA estimates there are 58,000 beef cows in this county), the average herd size is 31 head. It is hard to put uniform groups together with so few numbers.

Haven't any of these producers tried networking with their neighbours to make up suitably sized groups of uniform steers?

andybob":1ycykdap said:
BC":1ycykdap said:
For as many cattle as we have in this area (the USDA estimates there are 58,000 beef cows in this county), the average herd size is 31 head. It is hard to put uniform groups together with so few numbers.

Haven't any of these producers tried networking with their neighbours to make up suitably sized groups of uniform steers?
Nah....we Texicans are an independent lot... ;-)

Their is at least one feller owns a bunch of salebarns across the state that preaches the age verification, pre-conditioning and so forth that tells the 60-85 year old ranchers that take time to go to these seminars that co-oping with other producers would net them $25 a head or so. Sad to say, but at that age or even my age, that isn't enough incentive to change your spots to stripes. The fellers that are large enough to multiply that $25 by a large number and really make a difference are pretty much already doing it.

ya'll dont mind angus cowman... he's one of those guys that make a living with cattle so naturally he's got to operate it like a business

There's a saying that goes something like this: " It takes two people to make a business transaction, one with the money and one that knows the business. When the transaction is done the man that knows the buisness will have the money and the guy that had the money will know the buisness."

Latest posts