A.i for heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cowpunk'd

Reaction score
The young tech who does a.i for a dairy herd nearby has successfully bred my cow, but had trouble with my heifer (maiden). Some blood could be seen on the straw after breeding, and she seemed out of sorts the day following the ai. She had a fair amount of blood tinged mucous as well, more then you see after ovulation. She cycles regularly. She cycled normally 20 days later, and has cycled again. She is a little fat, a black baldy, and now 17 months old. The a.i tech thought she was a little too fat, but also thought her cervix didn't feel right, I don't know enough about a.i to know what the problem might be. Is this a real red flag, or did he have trouble because he normally a.i's a holstein herd? I hope to keep the heifer.

How experienced is the tech? Heifers are a little harder to breed but that's a size thing. I'ts been many years since I saw any blood on a straw or sheath after AIing heifers or cows for that matter. Maybe a little on the glove.

He suggested I give cystorelin, which I understand is for cystic ovaries, would he have been able to tell she was cystic thru a regular a.i ? She is not a nympho and cycles very regular so I don't think she is cystic, but I've never put my hand in there. He does a.i for a large dairy herd but he hasn't done beef before, I think he is new at this. He had no trouble with the cow.

Shots won;t do anything if she's cycling normally. Is he the only AI tech available? How about having a "good" cow vet check her out? Not questioning his abilitys but the blood deal makes me think he was fishing with the gun rather then trying to move the cervix to and over it.

dun":39p8kyph said:
Shots won;t do anything if she's cycling normally. Is he the only AI tech available? How about having a "good" cow vet check her out? Not questioning his abilitys but the blood deal makes me think he was fishing with the gun rather then trying to move the cervix to and over it.

I fully agree with Dun.
After Ai'ing a large number of cows now I have to agree with Dun 100%. In my experiance also am suspicious because there is a big difference in a dairy cow and a maiden beef heifer. This I found out when I got home from school and started working on my own herd. There was guys at school who had blood from fishing and actually broke the tip of the gun.
If it were my cow I would have a vet check her out to be sure everything is ok.
Keep us posted.
Double R

i have been A.I.ing for a big dairy in my area i only breed there dairy heifers,right now i have a group of 300 heifers to breed with sexed semen. i breed both beef heifers and cows and dairy heifers. there isnt much different of the cervex between beef or dairy there is a big differents between a cow and a heifer though . cows maybe a little easyer because they have a bigger cervex and a heifer has a real small cervex it is harder to breed a heifer. but a good A.I. tech does both beef or dairy cows of heifers. cj

Latest posts