A Herdbull Pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp":2w2h0aj8 said:
Julian, what are you seeing for birth weights on his calves?
On cow we have seen 65-75# for most of them. Never had a 90# calf out of him. Did get one in the 80's.
On heifers the birthweights most have been from 60 to mid seventies.
Been used in over 10 herds with on mainly heifers. Only 1 calf required assistance and that was due to an abnormal presentation where one leg was turned back. Calf had to be assisted at birth, but both calf and its dam did well.

Jovid":3rxozhlr said:
KNERSIE":3rxozhlr said:
He matured into a very good bull Dwight!

I'm probably too easily amused, but I find it hilarious that two angus guys didn't even recognise him as a red ANGUS.

Could be because of is white nose, white switch and dark color.......

You should be able to paint the bull pink and still recognise the breed. Breed character goes deeper than hair colour and this bull's has plenty of breed character, pretty hard not to recognise the angus head if nothing else.

A bull of this caliber would benefit anyone who AI's their cattle, registered or commercial.
This would especially be true if you retained your own replacement females.
I ran two purebred breeds and had Red Angus cattle for ten years, I would have like to have used
this bull on those cows.....A very good bull. :nod:

Julian":27otrivi said:
He has some white hairs in his tail switch.
His nose is pink. He is 100%, 1A Red Angus.
BTW, he has been blood-typed as Red Angus, which was done because of association requirement for bulls that are used for semen collection.
I am flattered that the only flaw mentioned so far is the pink nose (pink is lighter than his dark red coat color) and that he has some white strands in his tail switch.
Dave, FWIW I am not interpretting you post as an implication that he is not 100% Red Angus. Although, if he were a registered black Angus I would understand concern of a pink nose.

First of all he is a nice bull.

For all the newbies and I guess for some of the old timers there is no blood test to determine the "breed" of a bull or cow. Most cattle associations require blood or DNA testing of all bulls used for AI. This is to determine parentage of an animal not breed type. The only way to know if an animal is 100 % of the breed he is supposed to be you would need DNA from every animal in his pedigree and a DNA bank of all animals in that breed. I believe they are doing some testing in Australia to see if this is even possible.

I don't think any of us can say our breeds are 100 % pure in today's world.

Just my opinion

If I remember correctly, a 1A Red Angus has to have a pink / light colored pigment on the nose or it cannot qualify
as a 1A, would be a 1B or even a category II :cowboy:

If there is anyone in the Pac NW that might be interested in buying some of this RA "Boaz" semen, please PM me. I don't need the min. order of 40 straws (40 straws = free shipping, and shipping is spendy), but I'd be pretty comfortable putting 20 in my "bull pen." A group buy might work for several of us. We are "conveniently located" east of Seattle, 100 miles. I'm not trying to advertise for Julian -- I'm trying to find a good deal!

KNERSIE":2s0bd533 said:
Jovid":2s0bd533 said:
KNERSIE":2s0bd533 said:

I'm probably too easily amused, but I find it hilarious that two angus guys didn't even recognise him as a red ANGUS.

Could be because of is white nose, white switch and dark color.......

You should be able to paint the bull pink and still recognise the breed. Breed character goes deeper than hair colour and this bull's has plenty of breed character, pretty hard not to recognise the angus head if nothing else.
There's no such thing as breed character anymore. You know this. As I've said before, within 10 miles of my place there are 2 hereford ranches. The only common characteristics the animals share are that they're both red W/ white marks. At one place the cows are close to a ton and could eat grain out of a boot. The other ranch's cattle might go 1100 at a bcs 6 and are snub-nosed. Waukaru in IN has a slew of bulls that share thls head type.

Good lookin bull though. Really like the depth of his chest floor. He outta stamp his calves good. What's his inbreeding coefficient?

KNERSIE":20e4ab54 said:

Glad to amuse you. He looks dark brown on my screen, I even had two people look at him and they said he looked dark brown. The other cows look red, so that is why I asked.

I haver used him on heifers and cows had no BW issues. Just not happy that I bought sexed semen for regular price. His steers do well in the feedlot for us also. I want some of those red baldy females. He does look nice standing in the pasture I drive by him 2 -6 times a day. The calves have lots of vigour when they hit the ground last year we had six in a 24 hour period. other bulls I have aied with wil;l get spread out sometimes not Boaz.

Jeff

[quote="S&S Farms"]I haver used him on heifers and cows had no BW issues. Just not happy that I bought sexed semen for regular price. His steers do well in the feedlot for us also. I want some of those red baldy females. He does look nice standing in the pasture I drive by him 2 -6 times a day. The calves have lots of vigour when they hit the ground last year we had six in a 24 hour period. other bulls I have aied with wil;l get spread out sometimes not Boaz.

Jeff[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense. Who complains about getting sexed semen for regular price?

Jeff was using some dry humor. I think he has only had two calves out if Boaz that were heifers, all the rest were bulls. Jeff is wanting some Boaz baldie heifers to add into his commercial herd.

PAP'd the bull calf out of Boaz this week. He PAP'd a 38 which is real good considering it was done @ 7450'. Now I just have to decide whether or not to feed him out here or haul him to Mo, and sell him in the fall. I will try to post a picture soon.

Real good looking bull. You deserve to be proud of him. He looks a little short in that picture but it is probably just the picture. :tiphat:

HomePlaceAngus":1avcfaon said:
Real good looking bull. You deserve to be proud of him. He looks a little short in that picture but it is probably just the picture. :tiphat:
What some see as short is what some others see as deep bodied. He is a frame score 4-1/2 or 5 depending on who measures him. I don't need him to be any bigger. I'm sure he's too big for some and too little for others. That's fine. He fits us and and the direction we are going. Some consider it brazen, but that's all I need. We are going to use him either naturally or via A.I. for a long time.

For those with limited experience with Red Angus cattle, some will get darker colored in shorter daylight days and lighter colored in longer daylight days. Much like some peoples' hair will appear lighter when they are in the sun longer. With as many people having black cattle, less and less people are aware if this.

A very good looking bull. I would like to have a pasture full of baldie females out of him.

And by the way. "How bout them OSU Cowboys?"

Latest posts