A few brangus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

TexBrangus":2zgb746r said:
I started this thread on you ppls opinion on three brangus bulls pics. I wanted pro/cons of each thats all. I could have been in the cattle buss for 5 years and I would still call myself a new to the buss compared to some of you pple.
Then I must be wrong. I will leave it at that.
My apologies.

hey I don't hold grudges.. I have own cattle for a while based on my grandpa has got started, but i have not been in it for a real long time meaning I just now buying my own trailer, equip and leasing my own land.

TexBrangus":1wfr96t0 said:
hey I don't hold grudges.. I have own cattle for a while based on my grandpa has got started, but i have not been in it for a real long time meaning I just now buying my own trailer, equip and leasing my own land.
My advice to you at this time would be for you to forget buying someones seconds. Use the best AI bull you can find/afford. I personelly do not find anything exceptional about any of the 3 bulls posted. You are really better off raising a good bull yourself from an AI sire rather than the choices you have with these, more than likely because of economics. Economics is the reason I AI. I am still at the point where I have just raised a clean-up bull.

novatech":c959qrbz said:
TexBrangus":c959qrbz said:
My advice to you at this time would be for you to forget buying someones seconds. Use the best AI bull you can find/afford. I personelly do not find anything exceptional about any of the 3 bulls posted. You are really better off raising a good bull yourself from an AI sire rather than the choices you have with these, more than likely because of economics. Economics is the reason I AI. I am still at the point where I have just raised a clean-up bull.

If you can't afford to look at the breeder's top end now (there is no shame in that, I cannot afford the top bulls in the breed either) then follow Novatech's advice and go all AI the first few years. If you consistantly use the very best bulls the breed has to offer you'll be surprised at how quick the progress can be.

heck I don't think these bulls are that bad...I have seen some that are not as good on here that ppl are high on. I really understand that these are not perfect, but come on. These are all ET bulls from pretty good genetics. I dont think AI is the route I want to go even though I can do it real real reasonable

TexBrangus":2yk11rdp said:
heck I don't think these bulls are that bad...I have seen some that are not as good on here that ppl are high on. I really understand that these are not perfect, but come on. These are all ET bulls from pretty good genetics. I dont think AI is the route I want to go even though I can do it real real reasonable

If that's the case go with the first one with the 3rd one the second pick.

TexBrangus":v5jqlsh3 said:
Thanks for all the help...I will take more advice on picking bulls anytime yall will give it. I am trying to buy my first bull, these bulls are from a guy with 25 years of privately own buss. I am just a young college guy trying to get started and these are of course are some of his lower end bulls. He says he culls pretty hard, and has his heard where he wants it. I need a bull to put on brangus cattle to keep heifers and sale the bulls/steers.

TexBrangus, I have a few things that may help you:

1. You need a bull to put on Brangus cows. Why use a Brangus bull, your obviously not a seedstock producer? You could put a hereford on those brangus cows and throw baldies making more money on the heifers and steers that you sold. I only use hereford as an example, but if I were going into commercial operation (which I have), I wouldn't use the same breed bull. You lose with hybrid vigor. The hereford bull will give you the replacements you seek, as well as provide steers that are in higher demand (more money) than straight brangus.

2. It doesn't matter what stage your cattle operation is in, you shouldn't settle for someone's "lower ends". One option if you don't have the money to afford a better quality bull, is to buy a younger bull. I do this a good bit, but it's to gentle them to my liking: I will buy a bull as a yearling, let them breed a few cows (8-10 at the most) then in year 2 you have a good viable herd sire. The advantage of buying as a yearling is you can get the bull cheaper. In these parts a good working bull with good epd's and nice conformation can be had from $2000 to $4000 depending upon the breed and how good the bull is. A yearling bull, on the other hand, can be had around here for $800 to $1200. Seedstock producers can sell youger bulls cheaper because they haven't spent the money feeding them to get to a almost mature weight. I never consider show bulls and people who want $10,000 (not that I could afford it) or some astronomical amount. There are too many good bulls that can be had for $2000.

3. Still insist on a Breeding Soundness Exam (BSE), where the seller guarantees the bull is physically able to breed and his semen is good. This should be a generally accepted rule at any bull producer and I'd run away from one that wouldn't offer it, even for yearling bulls. I purchased a yearling hereford several years back, and his sperm count had a higher motility than my 3 year old herd bull!

4. Be cautious of bull sellers just as you'd be cautious when buying anything else. I don't much care for the bull sellers who feel they have to talk their stock up, I can see their stock in front of me. I usually spend a long time (sometimes an hour or more) looking at the bulls they have to offer, and write down several of the one's I like best. Then I go inside and ask to see the bulls that I've picked epd's. Both have to be good for me to buy the bull. You don't have to act like your the world's most experienced bull buyer, but you can be prepared. It is perfectly acceptable for you to tell the buyer that "they currently don't have any bulls that fit your need, but thank you for your time". I wouldn't make the seller go through the whole process to find out that the bull I wanted was too much money for me - that's just rude. I usually ask about price before I look at any bulls. This will prevent the price on the bull you like suddenly and mysteriously going up.

Good luck!

TexBrangus":2ycyo2j8 said:
they probably were'nt 20 year's ago.... the sheaths are a long way from their problems ... they got no depth. and very little muscle....i dont want that in any possible replacements,,, and especillay a terminal calf ,,, take a look at cowcreek, and bobby steiners type of bulls.moderate framed beefy

grannysoo":22zlyut7 said:
VanC":22zlyut7 said:
4CTophand":22zlyut7 said:
Green jeans said it best in a Post I saw the other day----- Empty cans make the most noise --

Uh...........I think he was talking about you there...............Sparky. You're really quite dense, aren't you? :roll:

All hat - no cattle. :lol2:

Granny...better watch him...he'll be puttin' down your "pendulous sheath" in the next post. (That was dry humor) :lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm no expert but where i come from(west texas) eared calves get docked at the sale barn but brangus cows do good in our enviroment.
so i would use a the best bull i could, wheather it be angus, limo, or etc. (just no ear)
unless i was wanting to produce my own replacement heifers.
if thats the case i honestly think you might be better off buying heifers instead of using these bulls.
just my 2 cents :tiphat:

cross_7":2uzqp2im said:
i'm no expert but where i come from(west texas) eared calves get docked at the sale barn but brangus cows do good in our enviroment.
so i would use a the best bull i could, wheather it be angus, limo, or etc. (just no ear)
if thats the case i honestly think you might be better off buying heifers instead of using these bulls.

Are you still in West Texas? Can't imagine a calf with a little ear getting docked in Texas. Just the opposite in these parts.

TexasBred":2ahfxwz8 said:
cross_7":2ahfxwz8 said:

Are you still in West Texas? Can't imagine a calf with a little ear getting docked in Texas. Just the opposite in these parts.
does west texas cater too a different market.... eared calves here don't bring as much as they do below I20

Ala....I really don't know what the market is in West Texas but in general cattle with a little ear seem to bring more money in a large part of Texas. Use to be a poster on here WildCowman or something like that. Posted some pics of some West Texas cattle. They sure looked like they had ear to me. Mean as all get out and rough as nails. Seems they were working them with horses, ropes and maybe dogs as well.....Gotta have some brahman or long horn to survive in those surroundings.

TexasBred":1g5bcm6i said:
Ala....I really don't know what the market is in West Texas but in general cattle with a little ear seem to bring more money in a large part of Texas. Use to be a poster on here WildCowman or something like that. Posted some pics of some West Texas cattle. They sure looked like they had ear to me. Mean as all get out and rough as nails. Seems they were working them with horses, ropes and maybe dogs as well.....Gotta have some brahman or long horn to survive in those surroundings.

Heifers or cows with ear bring a lot more money. If that guy was truly meaning eared cows bring less, you just have to wonder where he has been.

Steers might bring a little less, depending on where the feedlot is, what time of year it is and who's buying. I'll take a nickel less when mine weigh 200 pounds more - any day.

Edit: I went back and read again. He did indeed make specific reference to brangus cattle. (not a full ear)

i said the calves bring less money... not the "cows"
what i probably should have said was calves with too much ear bring less money.
but eared cows do seem to bring more in the sale ring
i 've had some cows that had a lot of brahma influence and when bred to a brangus bull, produced too much ear/dewlap , so i like to use a black limo or angus.
but i like the calves out of black baldies bred to a brangus bull.
like i said i'm not an expert. i'll leave that up to you guys

Latest posts