• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A few brangus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

4CTophand

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
TexBrangus":2n7ct441 said:
View attachment 2
I like this 051 Bull alot shows a lot of muscle. good topline, some good depth of body --
I dont like his pendulous sheath or his rat tail
He seems to be a little post-legged and maybe it is the way he is standing. A post legged Bull wont make and have problems at his mature weight

View attachment 1
I like this 167T bull also shows a lot of muscle, decent enough topline, depth of body and plenty of bone / solid structure
he doesn't have a pendulous sheath and shows good definition of body


Bull 320 T is the lightest muscled Bull in this group, he shows some slight structure
I don't like his pendulous sheath, he looks a little short coupled (not much length)
he doesnt show as much muscle and not much definition in the hindquarters --he may be a little younger than the other bulls
he does have a good topline and with some maturity show more definition


Please rank these bulls.
Tell me pros/cons
I imagine most people here will choose Bull 051 T as they will find his phenotype to be most appealing, but I would say Bull 167 T would be the best choice due to his structure, muscle, defintion and length
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
There is really no consummate method of determining the ranking of these bulls from these pictures! PICTURES ARE NO WAY ACCEPTABLE IN MAKING FINAL DETERMINATIONS OF SEEDSTOCK!

The camera is at different distances from each animal, in the first place, before you start to really get down to the real "nitty-gritty" of determining characteristics, traits, and Phenotype. The most PERFECT picture still won't be sufficient to answer the nagging question of "Which one is BEST?"

(By the way, NONE of them have a satisfactory top line in my opinion). They DO have Brahama characteristics, which precludes definitive criticisms at the outset. You have to compare Apples with Apples as long as the variety of Apples are the same.

DOC HARRIS
 

4CTophand

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
DOC HARRIS":207rrjwj said:
There is really no consummate method of determining the ranking of these bulls from these pictures! PICTURES ARE NO WAY ACCEPTABLE IN MAKING FINAL DETERMINATIONS OF SEEDSTOCK!

The camera is at different distances from each animal, in the first place, before you start to really get down to the real "nitty-gritty" of determining characteristics, traits, and Phenotype. The most PERFECT picture still won't be sufficient to answer the nagging question of "Which one is BEST?"

(By the way, NONE of them have a satisfactory top line in my opinion). They DO have Brahama characteristics, which precludes definitive criticisms at the outset. You have to compare Apples with Apples as long as the variety of Apples are the same.

DOC HARRIS
ease up on your CAPS Sparky and Instead of whining and complaining why dont you do your best --since this is all we have and evaluate these Bulls?? Unless you just dont have enough brain power to do it or you lack the understanding of the terminology in which case we can believe that. You did try though when you said "(By the way, NONE of them have a satisfactory top line in my opinion)".
But as expected you are probably used to looking at Angus cows and their topline is different as is all over structure. All this guy wanted was pro's and con's and if you dont have any why Post your Gob?

T :tiphat:
 

4CTophand

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
TexBrangus":1gt0lek6 said:
4CTophand thanks buddy please ex. pendulous sheath and post.legged
Pendulous sheath is a sheath that falls down -- needs to be at a 45 degree max-- unacceptable for instance in Santa Gertrudis.
Post legged refers to straight legged and there are many Bulls that fall into this category and when he reaches Mature weight he will begin to have structual problems

for example imagine-- 2 posts and a slack piece of barbed wire between them --his weight will cause him to become unsound over time. If he is not post legged and his legs are under him just a little more (not too much) he can then carry his mature weight without breaking down.
I hope this helped as I wasnt being sarcastic and wasn't trying to tear your bulls to pieces. They are nice enough Bulls and would be a huge step above that bull some of these commercial guys buy at the local downer sale.
:tiphat:
 

backhoeboogie

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
14,955
Reaction score
4
Location
Texas
I'd choose the third one personally, if I had to choose based on what I am seeing.

All three seem to have smooth shoulders and decent enough feet but as doc said, you'd like to see their walk and conformation in real life.

When I am trying to expand the herd, I am looking for a different trait than when I am just maintaining and looking to sell and cull. What are you looking to do with this bull?

I parted with a very good Brangus bull because I had retained so many heifers out of him. The bull I am running now is not as good in my opinion. Any calves born after January 13 should be out of the new bull. I am anxious to see how good or bad the calves are.
 
OP
T

TexBrangus

Active member
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
North Texas
Thanks for all the help...I will take more advice on picking bulls anytime yall will give it. I am trying to buy my first bull, these bulls are from a guy with 25 years of privately own buss. I am just a young college guy trying to get started and these are of course are some of his lower end bulls. He says he culls pretty hard, and has his heard where he wants it. I need a bull to put on brangus cattle to keep heifers and sale the bulls/steers.
 

4CTophand

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
DOC HARRIS":20h931gv said:
There is really no consummate method of determining the ranking of these bulls from these pictures! PICTURES ARE NO WAY ACCEPTABLE IN MAKING FINAL DETERMINATIONS OF SEEDSTOCK!

The camera is at different distances from each animal, in the first place, before you start to really get down to the real "nitty-gritty" of determining characteristics, traits, and Phenotype. The most PERFECT picture still won't be sufficient to answer the nagging question of "Which one is BEST?"

(By the way, NONE of them have a satisfactory top line in my opinion). They DO have Brahama characteristics, which precludes definitive criticisms at the outset. You have to compare Apples with Apples as long as the variety of Apples are the same.

DOC HARRIS
Green jeans said it best in a Post I saw the other day----- Empty cans make the most noise -- doc here is definately an empty can he reminds me of the whining dems we have had the past 8 years.. Now they are in again and it will be interesting to see whether or not after 8+ years of complaining they can govern-- I doubt it -- more empty cans.
 

novatech

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
4,830
Reaction score
0
Location
Brenham, Texas
TexBrangus":1ywyl67n said:
Thanks for all the help...I will take more advice on picking bulls anytime yall will give it. I am trying to buy my first bull, these bulls are from a guy with 25 years of privately own buss. I am just a young college guy trying to get started and these are of course are some of his lower end bulls. He says he culls pretty hard, and has his heard where he wants it. I need a bull to put on brangus cattle to keep heifers and sale the bulls/steers.
People being in business for 25 years does not impress me. A man doing something right 1 year is better than some one doing it wrong all his life. Forget his self praise and concentrate on the cattle.
I like the first bull in that he is better balanced as to top and bottom line. The second a third bulls are a little tight in the flank. Really cant tell about the legs as he could be standing wrong.
I think his muscle expression is as good as the second bull. Maybe a little better in the stifle. I think he carries his head a little low as compared to the second, and third bull. Maybe a little strait shouldered. The second bull has the better sheath. The third bull seems to be the longest thus making him look like he has less depth. And also looks to not be as thick as the first two. The first bull seems to be the thickest. The third bull also seems to be weak in the pasterns.
 

VanC

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
5,174
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Illinois
4CTophand":3cp90ggs said:
Green jeans said it best in a Post I saw the other day----- Empty cans make the most noise --

Uh...........I think he was talking about you there...............Sparky. You're really quite dense, aren't you? :roll:
 

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,448
Reaction score
0
Location
New Roads, LA
4CTophand":3u5huizn said:
ease up on your CAPS Sparky and Instead of whining and complaining why dont you do your best --since this is all we have and evaluate these Bulls?? Unless you just dont have enough brain power to do it or you lack the understanding of the terminology in which case we can believe that. You did try though when you said "(By the way, NONE of them have a satisfactory top line in my opinion)".
But as expected you are probably used to looking at Angus cows and their topline is different as is all over structure. All this guy wanted was pro's and con's and if you dont have any why Post your Gob?

T :tiphat:

4C, why the mudslinging? Not sure how old you are, doesn't really matter - apparently no one ever taught you manners. Doc is one of the more well respected members on the CT board. He is a wealth of information. Just because you don't like his opinion, doesn't mean you need to go on a tirade. Empty can? Give me a break! Look back at Doc's previous posts - he's been a member for over 3 years; if you can understand them, you'll realize that he's not an empty can, and then apologize for being so crude. :mad:
 

novatech

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
4,830
Reaction score
0
Location
Brenham, Texas
I am trying to buy my first bull, these bulls are from a guy with 25 years of privately own buss. I am just a young college guy trying to get started and these are of course are some of his lower end bulls.
No, not just starting been in it a while...I already have some good proven stock. I want to produce as many Tigerstripe calfs as I can.
Maybe wrong on this but does not look good.
The first thing you should do is go back to square one and change you name. Then come back and be straight up. Otherwise you will look like just another ---- trying to be somebody he is not.
That is if I am right.
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
VanC":371591uw said:
4CTophand":371591uw said:
Green jeans said it best in a Post I saw the other day----- Empty cans make the most noise --

Uh...........I think he was talking about you there...............Sparky. You're really quite dense, aren't you? :roll:

All hat - no cattle. :lol2:
 
OP
T

TexBrangus

Active member
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
North Texas
Okay novatech, I see what you are made of. This is my first bull I am buying and and just getting into for the commercial part of it. I own bucking stock and never have bought my own brangus bull. What are you trying to prove there buddy.......
 

K2011

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
TexBrangus":2h2fc0nh said:
Okay novatech, I see what you are made of. This is my first bull I am buying and and just getting into for the commercial part of it. I own bucking stock and never have bought my own brangus bull. What are you trying to prove there buddy.......

if you ask me (and I know you didn't) Novatech is basicly helping you -- b/c he said "Otherwise you will look like just another ---- trying to be somebody he is not" -- I mean unless you want ppl to think that...
 

novatech

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
4,830
Reaction score
0
Location
Brenham, Texas
TexBrangus":3b924u9n said:
Okay novatech, I see what you are made of. This is my first bull I am buying and and just getting into for the commercial part of it. I own bucking stock and never have bought my own brangus bull. What are you trying to prove there buddy.......
If I was trying to prove something I would not have posted that I may be wrong. Hope I am. Read over some of your past posts yourself. If I had not read this particular thread I would have assumed you had a lot of rodeo bulls bred from fine brahman bulls over Hereford cows along with a beef business. You started this thread as if you were a total newbie.
 
OP
T

TexBrangus

Active member
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
North Texas
I started this thread on you ppls opinion on three brangus bulls pics. I wanted pro/cons of each thats all. I could have been in the cattle buss for 5 years and I would still call myself a new to the buss compared to some of you pple.
 
Top