60 years later - in memoriam

Help Support CattleToday:

perda04

Reaction score
holocaust.jpg

When I was a kid, my dad used to buy pipe from this man in Fort Worth who I remember had an accent. One day I saw the numbers tattooed on his arm. I asked Daddy about it and he said that the man had been in the camps during WWII. I was real little then and I didn't know what it meant. But when I was older and started learning about the history of the war and about the death camps, I thought of that man, and all the things he must have seen and experienced as a young man in the camps and it made an impression on me.

Today, I hear revisionists say that there were no camps or that there were far fewer people killed that was recorded. I think of all the photographic evidence, of all the people who were there that are dying off now, all the soldiers who liberated the camps, dying now at a thousand a day, and them I think of the man I saw as a kid with the numbers on his arms and I know it happened.

How can anyone say otherwise? We have to be able to preserve this terrible time in history so that no one forgets or will be able to change it for their own gains. Otherwise, all those lives will have been lost for nothing, and this will become a footnote in history little remembered and long forgotten.

Lammie":xa02ms1e said:
How can anyone say otherwise? We have to be able to preserve this terrible time in history so that no one forgets or will be able to change it for their own gains. Otherwise, all those lives will have been lost for nothing, and this will become a footnote in history little remembered and long forgotten.
Amen!

On April 12,1945, General Dwight D. Eisenhower, commander in chief of the Allied military forces, visited the Ohrdruf concentration camp. After viewing the evidence of atrocities, he ensured that these unbelievable scenes would be witnessed and documented so that firsthand testimony of the crimes could be given. Eisenhower ordered members of the U.S. military forces to see what had been done and urged politicians, dignitaries, reporters, photographers, and filmmakers to inspect the camps and describe the atrocities they saw to their constituencies. Subsequently, explicit photographs appeared in Life Magazine, leading newspapers, tabloids, and exhibitions in the United States, Great Britain, and France. Eisenhower and his subordinates also ordered nearby German townspeople to come and witness the results of Nazi depravity and to help clean up the areas and to bury the dead. At burial services, Allied chaplains harshly reminded ordinary German citizens of their responsibility for the crimes (Moxon, 3).

Just to avoid any confusion, I copied and pasted this. I didn't write it.

It would seem some people can't get their head around how awful the Nazi's were, and don't want to believe anything like this could have possibly happened, or anyone be so cruel. So they choose to say it couldn't have been as bad as they say it was. My Aunt by marriage was an officer in the German Army and she told us some awful stories about the SS. and how most of the regular soldiers hated them, but there was nothing they could do about it as they would have been shot for treason, and for not agreeing with all of what Hitler stood for. She met him on two occasions in the war rooms, she said he was a very severe looking man and he spoke very ubruptly to his body guards, but passionatly to the ladies. She said she followed orders but did not agree with all of what went on, just like a lot of our soldiers I expect. You done your duty and that was that. as the old soldiers used to say 'who am I to reason why, I'm just here to do and die'

Latest posts