50 reasons I need a bigger tractor with a cab

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I have been looking at John Deere 2750's and 2950's with cabs, but just haven't gotten off the money(or gotten the money) to get one.

Yesterday, while bush hogging with my trusty Ford 4000, I ran over a bumblebee nest, and had at least 50 or so bumblebees swarming around me. Put the tractor in 8th, they followed me. Had to bail off and they still followed me running. It's amazing how much of an idiot a person can look like when being popped by bumblebees.

All in all ended up with 11 stings. I think I need that John Deere now!

I would rather work with an open stationed tractor,but like you just proved cab tractors definetly have their place.
I would get the larger tractor,I have heard many folks complain about their tractor being to small,but very few complaining it was too big............good luck

Caustic Burno":25ndn897 said:
I have had them swam a tractor and had to come back after dark to get it.

Glad I'm not the only one. Happened last summer right smack in the middle of the field. I never realized how quickly I could shut down that machine and bail out.

One of the main reasons I would love to have a tractor with a cab.

Cypress, if/when you can afford one, get it. But keep the old one as well.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3gi2xs4v said:
Caustic Burno":3gi2xs4v said:
I have had them swam a tractor and had to come back after dark to get it.

Glad I'm not the only one. Happened last summer right smack in the middle of the field. I never realized how quickly I could shut down that machine and bail out.

One of the main reasons I would love to have a tractor with a cab.

Cypress, if/when you can afford one, get it. But keep the old one as well.

Katherine

Katherine,

I would like to keep the Ford 4000 I have, if I can, and still get a bigger tractor. That old ford has run good, nice for moving round bales, easy when pulling a 6' clipper, and pulls like a mule, but with all of the acreage I've added over the last year, I can't pull a wide (bat wing type) cutter with it. So I spend HOURS clipping, and I can't pull a good size disk either.

Good thing I'm not allergic to bee stings. And yes, Caustic, I had to go back this morning to retrieve the tractor.

There are only 2 things that I don;t like about a cab tractor. I can;t stand up and see over a round bale when I'm moving it on the front spike and when using a broadcast seeder I can;t turn it on and off from inside the cab. But when it's cold, not being able to see over the top of a bale is a small price to pay for being warm.

dun

cypressfarms":1533c0x9 said:
I would like to keep the Ford 4000 I have, if I can, and still get a bigger tractor. That old ford has run good, nice for moving round bales, easy when pulling a 6' clipper, and pulls like a mule, but with all of the acreage I've added over the last year, I can't pull a wide (bat wing type) cutter with it. So I spend HOURS clipping, and I can't pull a good size disk either.

Good thing I'm not allergic to bee stings. And yes, Caustic, I had to go back this morning to retrieve the tractor.

I understand. Our old 4600 (Ford) has been great. Would love to have a cab type like where I work, but right now I can't justify it, nor do we have the funds for it. I find a way to get by without a bigger machine.

Like I said before, if you ever find the funds to purchase a bigger one with a cab, do hold on to that Ford, you'll still find many uses for it.

Glad you're not allergic to bee stings.

Katherine

Cypress, don't know if you bale much hay but the cab tractor is worth it to me just for baling. The cab on a 6420 is much more comfortable than the older rounded cabs. A FWD is also very good for putting out hay in sloppy winter weather. As my dad used to tell me "You are not going to make this trip through life but once".

Not to hijack the thread, but.....

I know most of you already know this, but many people get in the habit of looking behind them for bumblebees while shredding or cutting hay. But by the time your shredder has passed over the bees and they make their way out of the ground through the debris, you are normally long gone and can't see them.

That's why I have learned over the years to look ahead of me, instead of behind. That allows you to see the bees that are still swarming before you run right in the middle of them on your next round. Once you see them ahead of you, you can cut out around them and go back to it after they go back in the ground.

Works well in almost all cases. ;-)

cypress - Don't do it! :shock: :shock: Ford made cab tractors, too! I strayed one time and brought home a green machine. Happiest day of my life was when it left here on someone else's trailer. :lol:

cypressfarms":2x398kc9 said:
I have been looking at John Deere 2750's and 2950's with cabs, but just haven't gotten off the money(or gotten the money) to get one.

Yesterday, while bush hogging with my trusty Ford 4000, I ran over a bumblebee nest, and had at least 50 or so bumblebees swarming around me. Put the tractor in 8th, they followed me. Had to bail off and they still followed me running. It's amazing how much of an idiot a person can look like when being popped by bumblebees.

All in all ended up with 11 stings. I think I need that John Deere now!

I'd say forget the new tractor...save your money and buy a bee suit :lol:

Cypress, my experiences are 100% in line with Texan's, regarding the looking ahead versus behind. However, after getting popped one too many times when shredding really big & thick stuff at a very slow tractor speed I've resorted to the use of a beekeeper's helmut with the wire mesh and drawstring that hangs down to safely cover the neck area, plus wearing gloves and a couple of long sleeved white shirts. As you know, bumble bees are particularly fond of targeting the head and neck area, and the beekeeper's helmut has worked like a charm for me. And there really does seem to be a good reason why beekeepers usually wear white.

I will add another reason.

When it is cold and snowy and you need to blow about 3 feet of snow down your long driveway at 3 a.m. - so your wife can get to work on time - you can curl up in your nice warm bed.

You can rest easy, knowing full well you have done your wife a huge favour in getting her out of that open station machine, all that blowing and drifting snow and into a nice warm cab so she will not be as tired when she leaves for town.

You can probably get at least 2 and maybe even 3 extra hours of work out of her on an average day!

Bez?

Bez?":2n6pmucf said:

When it is cold and snowy and you need to blow about 3 feet of snow down your long driveway at 3 a.m. - so your wife can get to work on time - you can curl up in your nice warm bed.

You can rest easy, knowing full well you have done your wife a huge favour in getting her out of that open station machine, all that blowing and drifting snow and into a nice warm cab so she will not be as tired when she leaves for town.

You can probably get at least 2 and maybe even 3 extra hours of work out of her on an average day!

Bez?

Finally, a man of reason. :lol:
Bez? - You sure know how to spoil a woman. :lol:

cfpinz

I was just where you are until recently, ( needing but not buying) I have been in the hay business for several years using 3020, 4020, open station Jd's and I found a extra nice 2950 JD with a 148 JD loader ( Cab and Air) I decided to buy it, and I am very glad I did. This is the second week of hay baling and when I come in at night, I am not half as tired nor nearly as dirty! I only wish I would have made the plunge years ago. COOL in Arkansas ! " GO ahead, you only go down this road once, why not really enjoy the trip !" RP

O yea tell me about i would get the cab i have a cab and love it bec im alergic to bees and hay so i rake and bale with my big tractor and cut with little tractor bec it dont bother me but i bush hog with my cab bec of bees and that way when i bush hog i no were they are and i can kill them and not have to worry about them when i cut hay with my little tractor so keep the little one and get the cab... Jason

You know talking about bees. I know mostly what people would encounter on a tractor is bumble bees that borrow into the ground. But the african killer bees have now migrated all across Arkansas and Lousianna. I dont know if a person would ever encounter them on a tractor. But if i had to deal with them i would feel better in a cab tractor.

You know cypress that is a good point that i need to bring up to my wife in order to try and talk her into letting me get a cab tractor. LOL

Bez?":1fqxaykb said:

Bez?

Uh huh. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Latest posts