5 year old cow with a corn on her right rear foot

Help Support CattleToday:

wideurt

Reaction score
I have a cow with a corn. The vet gave her meds and said they could do surgery if it doen't get better. Am worried that after surgery with all the snow and mud we will have as soon as it starts thawing it will be almost impossible to not have problems. Any ideas.Does anyone know what would cause this like lacking a certain mineral. Thanks

Had a Charolais bull with a corn between his toes,on his back foot. Vet took it off,and drilled 2 holes in his toes and wired his toes together, to keep them from spreading apart. Anyway it didnt work. Wire broke after several days. His toes spread out. Laid around a week or so. Foot healed, but never did look right.The heavier he got the more spade footed he got.Sent him to Burger King.

oscar p":38z5bcg3 said:
Had a Charolais bull with a corn between his toes,on his back foot. Vet took it off,and drilled 2 holes in his toes and wired his toes together, to keep them from spreading apart. Anyway it didnt work. Wire broke after several days. His toes spread out. Laid around a week or so. Foot healed, but never did look right.The heavier he got the more spade footed he got.Sent him to Burger King.
I had a bred cow last fall that had a corn, sent her through the kill pen

I have one I'm trying to decide what to do with as well . . . dairyman friend says I can bring her to his place - his trimmer puts them up and cuts them out then bandages them after an oxytet bath. He says it works pretty well. We'll see.

She has a 4 month old calf on her now and she is bred.The surgery is $150.00 . She has good calves and if the foot will heal properly I think it would be worth it. I'm just concerned about the ground conditions. So far the responce is not in her favor.

wideurt":5hxgaxqz said:
She has a 4 month old calf on her now and she is bred.The surgery is $150.00 . She has good calves and if the foot will heal properly I think it would be worth it. I'm just concerned about the ground conditions. So far the responce is not in her favor.

That's my problem too. I'm going to be weaning early this year so I can put the mommas on some lower grade hay. I'll wean my cow's 4 mo calf in March. The cow won't calve again for 7 months. When I pull the weaned calf, the cow is worth $800 for slaughter - add $150 for surgery and you're at $950. Not all bad for a good bred cow right now . . . . if it works.

We ship any cows with corns . i don't think its worth the risk and vet bill.

Must just be terminology but I've never seen a "corn" on a cow's foot. Footrot, laminitis, hairy warts, etc. but never heard "corn" used with a "hoof". A Pic might help.

TexasBred":16fmqaff said:
dun":16fmqaff said:
TexasBred":16fmqaff said:
Must just be terminology but I've never seen a "corn" on a cow's foot. Footrot, laminitis, hairy warts, etc. but never heard "corn" used with a "hoof". A Pic might help.
Here it is:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/servl ... ovine,corn
Thanks dun...learn something everyday. Seen a lot of those but never heard them referred to as a corn.
That's all I've ever heard them called. They look kind of like a hairy heel wart but without the hair, almost a big knobby callus

farmwriter":3h05ipme said:
Looks like cow corns ain't for whimps either!

Funny. The ones my cow has look a lot worse than that!

Merck says the tendency can be hereditary "in some breeds" - wonder what breeds . . .

angus9259":j6vbj45h said:
farmwriter":j6vbj45h said:

Merck says the tendency can be hereditary "in some breeds" - wonder what breeds . . .

Brangus

WORANCH":1i56f6iy said:
angus9259":1i56f6iy said:
farmwriter":1i56f6iy said:

Brangus

Never had a brangus with one. Doesn't meean others might not have had alot but none here.

WORANCH":291kxzol said:
I 've had several brangus with them . Also a few Beefmasters .
Must be a local thing. Use to have a holstein have it occasionally but they were "worked" a lot harder and exposed to a lot more environmentally.

We'll hers does not look that bad (the pic Dun showed) She is standing square and walking good as of yesterday. See how things go.

had a 2 1/2 yr old cow with a corn on her right rear foot (did not look anything like picture from above just a fleshy thumb sized thing inbetween her hoof)....took her to vet and the bill was $71....couldn't see getting rid of a healthy young cow because of a corn but maybe I'm missing something.

moloss":1pqtzhba said:
had a 2 1/2 yr old cow with a corn on her right rear foot (did not look anything like picture from above just a fleshy thumb sized thing inbetween her hoof)....took her to vet and the bill was $71....couldn't see getting rid of a healthy young cow because of a corn but maybe I'm missing something.

It's tricky right now . . . if cows were $.50 then probably not worth getting rid of. But slaughter cows are crowding $1000 here now - that's $1100 once you treat for the corn and that assumes the problem is solved. I'm going to wean early this year and the cow I have in question is 8 months from dropping another one . . .