30-40 Million People in America Could Be Evicted

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

jltrent

Reaction score
Unreal the financial shape a lot of folks are in. Is this a problem of lacking the ability/opportunity to make money, low wages, lazy, money management or what? A lot of needy people, some very sad cases that need help.

Agree with the above for some people. One of my first jobs was working in a bank for a very low wage. I learned real quick the people that show it owe it. Then Chapter 7 Bankruptcies were often and people got a clean slate. (that law has changed) The guys/gals who came in bank with overalls on driving and older F150, usually were in good financial shape not living above their means.

Last edited:
There's a 52 year old man who was fired from yet another job and he came to me asking for help. I'm not hiring, but I told him that the City of Bryan, TX was hiring bus drivers at $18 per hour to start and paid training. "nah, I don't want to do that."

There are many jobs like that in our area yet people like this don't want to work.

There's a 52 year old man who was fired from yet another job and he came to me asking for help. I'm not hiring, but I told him that the City of Bryan, TX was hiring bus drivers at $18 per hour to start and paid training. "nah, I don't want to do that."

There are many jobs like that in our area yet people like this don't want to work.
Sounds like a man who has bounced from small job to small job and knows his limitations.

Not necessarily lazy, could be after a lifetime of failure, he knows he would not be a good fit as a driver responsible for the lives of others. It's easier to give the excuse
'I don't want to do that' than to face an embarrassing truth out loud.

He might envision himself getting fired from that job for backing over a guy in a wheelchair or other freak accident.

Last edited:
Sounds like a man who has bounced from small job to small job and knows his limitations.

Not necessarily lazy, could be after a lifetime of failure, he knows he would not be a good fit as a driver responsible for the lives of others. It's easier to give the excuse
'I don't want to do that' than to face an embarrassing truth out loud.

He might envision himself getting fired from that job for backing over a guy in a wheelchair or other freak accident.
The qualifications for bus driving are fairly high. Need to have a clean driving record and pass a drug test, can't have any known medical conditions that could suddenly incapacitate you. That eliminates a lot of people.

Cost of living keeps going up, and wages have not kept pace for decades now. It's hard to make it out there for a lot of folks. Even for people who managed their money well, going months without a steady income makes it tough to pay rent. Service industry workers are disproportionately younger and poorer, so this pandemic has hit the vulnerable especially hard.

Unreal the financial shape a lot of folks are in. Is this a problem of lacking the ability/opportunity to make money, low wages, lazy, money management or what? A lot of needy people, some very sad cases that need help.

Both parties want immigration under different guises with 25 million Americans out of work.
The more poor we get the easier to control.

Everyone I talk to says "I have plenty of work, I just can't find enough help to do the work." When the government pays you to sit on your butt at home it's hard to motivate people to want to get a job.
Depending on your party affiliations is enslavement or indentured servitude for votes.

A lot has to do with not managing their money, I know people who make good money but would lose everything if they had to go a few months without a paycheck. They set their spending to match their income with no rainy day funds. As I stated in another post, Americans are addicted to consumerism.
Totally agree with that.
I worked 44 years for an engineering company. Pay better than average. I was friends with a couple who both worked there. They were late-fifties. I would think their combined income was in excess of $300,000 per year. One of their things was cruises all over the world. Several per year. Nothing wrong with that. I grew up poor in terms of money. Parents lived paycheck to paycheck. I have never been on a cruise. I worked while my wife home schooled the kids. I am conservative with money and saved more than most. When I bought a new vehicle, my friend asked about the financing. I assume he was financing his vehicles. I wondered why a couple with a $300,000 income would be financing a car. People just have different approaches to money. Some spend more than they have. I have an Uncle (name is Sam) that has that approach.

We tend to make opinions about people based on visual appearances. Wrong many, many times doing that. Several lessons to be learned there. There is an old book "The millionaire next door" that touches on that subject.

Which is better long term for housing? Buying what you can afford or renting?

Bus drivers were mentioned. In South Carolina up into the 1970's, the school bus drivers were all STUDENTS. You could drive a school bus transporting children if you were at least 16 years old. This was to save money. Pay was $35 per month until they decided to pay the minimum wage which was $1.60 per hour. That was NOT the safest program for students. The 16,17, 18 year old driver was responsible for maintaining discipline and good behavior on the bus - including their high school friends. What were they thinking? Some things are better now than the good ole days.

Everyone I talk to says "I have plenty of work, I just can't find enough help to do the work." When the government pays you to sit on your butt at home it's hard to motivate people to want to get a job.
My daughter has a business with employees. The most difficult issue by far is finding good employees. A situation she has encountered many times goes like this: She gets many responses to a job opening. She has an initial phone interview with someone. They are unemployed and looking at what is available. BUT, they don't want a job immediately. They plan to WAIT until their unemployment runs out. The interview ends quickly then and she moves on.

My son is a HS teacher and also coaches several sports. Getting bus drivers to take the kids to the games at times were hard to find. He got his bus licenses last summer. With Virginia's new laws I bet it took him two months to complete all the requirements last summer. There will be a bus drivers shortage in this state shortly and pay will go up.

Totally agree with that.
I worked 44 years for an engineering company. Pay better than average. I was friends with a couple who both worked there. They were late-fifties. I would think their combined income was in excess of $300,000 per year. One of their things was cruises all over the world. Several per year. Nothing wrong with that. I grew up poor in terms of money. Parents lived paycheck to paycheck. I have never been on a cruise. I worked while my wife home schooled the kids. I am conservative with money and saved more than most. When I bought a new vehicle, my friend asked about the financing. I assume he was financing his vehicles. I wondered why a couple with a $300,000 income would be financing a car. People just have different approaches to money. Some spend more than they have. I have an Uncle (name is Sam) that has that approach.

We tend to make opinions about people based on visual appearances. Wrong many, many times doing that. Several lessons to be learned there. There is an old book "The millionaire next door" that touches on that subject.

Which is better long term for housing? Buying what you can afford or renting?

Bus drivers were mentioned. In South Carolina up into the 1970's, the school bus drivers were all STUDENTS. You could drive a school bus transporting children if you were at least 16 years old. This was to save money. Pay was $35 per month until they decided to pay the minimum wage which was $1.60 per hour. That was NOT the safest program for students. The 16,17, 18 year old driver was responsible for maintaining discipline and good behavior on the bus - including their high school friends. What were they thinking? Some things are better now than the good ole days.

I've read the millionaire next door as well as Everyday Millionaires, both really good books about who the wealthy really are and they're not who most people think they are, not talking about the super wealthy but just every day people who invested and saved. I drive an 18 year old truck, I wear clothes I bought 15 years ago,have an 86 model ATV, I'm not trying to impress anyone by keeping up with the Jones's because the Jones's are broke. When my son was smaller he would always talk about what all his friends' parents had and how fancy their cars were and he'd say "they must have alot of money" I'd always tell him "no they have alot of debt." He's about to be 19 and I think what I told him all those years has paid off, he's pretty frugal. Any time I want to buy something that is not a necessity I ask myself, how many more years will I have to work just because I bought something stupid? And with that logic I usually don't buy stuff that is unecessary. I view spending money as time not money, how much of my time am I going to have to give up working to pay for this, because in reality that's what you're doing is trading time for stuff.

My son is a HS teacher and also coaches several sports. Getting bus drivers to take the kids to the games at times were hard to find. He got his bus licenses last summer. With Virginia's new laws I bet it took him two months to complete all the requirements last summer. There will be a bus drivers shortage in this state shortly and pay will go up.

I'm the maintenance and facilities director at a public school in Arkansas, Arkansas has a major shortage of bus drivers also. Just doesn't pay much. I drive one because I'm already here anyway and it's extra pay but if your not close by it's not worth while.

I'm the maintenance and facilities director at a public school in Arkansas, Arkansas has a major shortage of bus drivers also. Just doesn't pay much. I drive one because I'm already here anyway and it's extra pay but if your not close by it's not worth while.
My daughter just moved to Farmington, Arkansas, so good to hear from Arkansas members. I worry about her, but almost immediately she got a job at one of the better hospitals (Washington Regional Medical Center) with a pension because of the experience and training (particularly pals training) she already had. She is currently an RN, but close to finishing her MSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.