2017 Bull Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Is this a private sale, or a group of different breeders? Do you have any "favorite" daughters?

kdhansen":29d2kp78 said:
Is this a private sale, or a group of different breeders? Do you have any "favorite" daughters?
The sale is 3 of us local small breeders putting in together to promote the sale, this will be our 2nd year.

Again the SAV Thunderbird daughters are looking good, I had a couple calve last year and they did a good job. I have a couple of the Ardrossan Equator A241 daughters who are doing a good job on their calves, the bull L2 is the first calf from an A241 daughter.

Ken

Do you put much/any validity on the AA structural trait EBV's when you select your AI sires? I sorta watch those (USA AI sires mostly), and some sure have some bad scores, but then their sire, or offspring (on an older bull), rate pretty decent. (That is the main reason I haven't tried Thunderbird... guess I'm looking for a reason to use him?? )
Sounds like you put a lot of thought into your selections (and it shows). Will be looking forward to see how your sale turns out. I marked it on my calendar to check back here. Thanks for sharing!

Yes for me it was an excellent sale. I sold all my 2 yr old bulls (8 of them, I had 2 scratchings) and averaged $5937, my top was $7000, I had 2 @ $6500, 2 @ $6000, my bottom 2 went for $5000 so I am all smiles. Of my 4 yearlings I sold 3, 2 @ $4500 and 1 @ $3000 and brought the best of them home to fight another day, very happy with them as well. My partner topped the sale at $8000 but had a much lower average.

Ken

Congratulations on a grreat sale. Very nice bulls. Your prices where you are are much stouter than they are here. Unless a PB breeder buys one nothing will go above 4 and most below 3500. A lot of good bulls available around here now.

Thanks everyone, yes prices have been strong here though they are starting to dip a bit now with some very dry conditions in late winter and not much prospect for a wet summer. I heard of some other sales last week that disappointed a bit so I think we just scraped in. I was very fortunate in that I was the only one of the 3 vendors that had vaccinated them for Tick Fever and we had some buyers from down on the coast that wanted the ones "blooded" for tick fever and that put a bit of a backbone in my offering.

Ken

Good job! You had a really good group of bulls, and your hard work and breeding selections has paid off. Well deserved, congratulations!