2016-2017 Hunting Season

Help Support CattleToday:

I found this 9 point in a wooded pasture while moving my horses on Sunday. It was all I found and still "fleshy". He's up on a low roof now, think he will make a nice Euro mount.

I killed a small one Saturday but nothing since... They look a lot bigger 140 yds away however heres some of my pics from the stand and my favorite stand

This is behind my stand

IMG_20161107_095123307_zpsvzsouhem.jpg

IMG_20161106_062236638_zpszba01mbh.jpg

IMG_20161106_161840705_zpspuehechb.jpg

IMG_20161107_070720918_HDR_zpswujmzegg.jpg

Got it done this morning.

8 points, 150lbs field dressed. He will go to sausage, still have an antlerless tag to fill for steaks.

Thinking about a dipped euro mount.

Well it is a good thing I have beef and pork in the freezer. No elk this year. Last year the area we hunt there was 12 bulls killed. This year only 1. Weather was way too warm. There was 4 days that they set new record high temperatures for that date. The elk fed at night and went into the jack firs during the day. Another factor was the area was worked hard by two van loads of Mexican brush pickers. Twenty people over a month make a lot of noise and odor. They had blown up the herds and the bulls had all separated from the cows. We saw lots of elk everyday but no bulls. It is still a thrill to see a herd of elk even if there aren't any bulls. And I got to see some spectacular sun rises. I can still hump my way up those hills although not as fast as the younger guys. I always say that if the only reason you hunt is to shoot something, then you are missing out on a lot of the reason to be out there. This year I got to soak up all those other reasons to hunt.

Dave":34rmi1rc said:
Well it is a good thing I have beef and pork in the freezer. No elk this year. Last year the area we hunt there was 12 bulls killed. This year only 1. Weather was way too warm. There was 4 days that they set new record high temperatures for that date. The elk fed at night and went into the jack firs during the day. Another factor was the area was worked hard by two van loads of Mexican brush pickers. Twenty people over a month make a lot of noise and odor. They had blown up the herds and the bulls had all separated from the cows. We saw lots of elk everyday but no bulls. It is still a thrill to see a herd of elk even if there aren't any bulls. And I got to see some spectacular sun rises. I can still hump my way up those hills although not as fast as the younger guys. I always say that if the only reason you hunt is to shoot something, then you are missing out on a lot of the reason to be out there. This year I got to soak up all those other reasons to hunt.

Sounds like you had a good time. What is a Mexican brush pickers job?

Had a big one show up on the game camera. Might have to go buy a hunting license if this keeps happening. Not a real good picture but you can see his antlers.

TexasBred":37uf19vj said:
Had a big one show up on the game camera. Might have to go buy a hunting license if this keeps happening. Not a real good picture but you can see his antlers.

A one eyed beagle and a 30-30 would turn him to sausage

True Grit Farms":3adxozma said:
Dave":3adxozma said:

Sounds like you had a good time. What is a Mexican brush pickers job?

They pick variety of different plants which are used in floral arrangements. When we first got there they were picking "red huck". The red colored shoots off huckleberry brush. Mid week they switched to cutting noble fir boughs to be used for Christmas decorations. I imagine they pay the timber company for the rights to pick brush. Friday morning they were right smack in the middle of one of my favorite spots. Their American boss told me, "I hope we aren't ruining your hunting." Grrrrrr..... too late for that. I felt like asking him what he planned to do for labor next year now that Trump has been elected. But I took the high road and didn't say anything. Instead I just got on my bike and rode off to another spot a couple miles away.

Ain't that the truth. Gotta be an escapee from a high fence ranch because we just don't have those kind of deer around here. Had one like him show in 2014. Could be the same deer.

Latest posts