2016-2017 Hunting Season

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2hskzij7 said:
Sky you gotta remember ol' CB went "Geriatric" on us a couple years ago. I think now he's just got an old commode sittin' out in the woods with some brush piled around it. :lol: :lol: :hide:

:lol2: :lol2:

Dogs and Cows":1pn464sj said:
Jules...I need an invite to join you on a rabbit hunt...I got this firecracker little beagle I am just dying to try on rabbits LOL! Looks good everyone!!!

Tim

No problem Tim.

Caustic Burno":296y0zd4 said:
Boy how I loved the little hounds in my younger days. Nothing finer than a couple of beagles yodeling after a swamp rabbit.

I like hearing the beagles sing a tune more than the hounds ... Rabbit hunting with dogs will definitely let you know whether you can shoot or not and you better have a good supply of shells with you. Those blue tail rabbits will make a dog work for him.

In just 72 hours from now I know exactly where I will be. I will be sitting up on a ridge about 6 miles from the pickup waiting for it to get day light. A whole week of pushing my fat old carcass up the hills. Riding the mountain bike miles every day to get to the far reaches away from the crowds searching for a bull elk. If you have never lived in elk country, this is where we separate the men from the boys. This is not sitting in a comfortable chair in a blind. There is nothing sheltered, heated or comfortable about this. This is are you tough enough to cover miles of terrible steep terrain that can be a tangled jungle. Are you tough enough to endure 35 degrees in a pouring rain with a 30 mph wind or snow that is a couple feet deep and be there from well before daylight until after dark everyday. That is the weather that will get thrown at you this time of year. But to those who do it, it is a passion. Even at the age of 65 I am like a little kid before Christmas. This will be my fifty first elk season. I can hardly stand to wait.

Dave":yedqi842 said:
In just 72 hours from now I know exactly where I will be. I will be sitting up on a ridge about 6 miles from the pickup waiting for it to get day light. A whole week of pushing my fat old carcass up the hills. Riding the mountain bike miles every day to get to the far reaches away from the crowds searching for a bull elk. If you have never lived in elk country, this is where we separate the men from the boys. This is not sitting in a comfortable chair in a blind. There is nothing sheltered, heated or comfortable about this. This is are you tough enough to cover miles of terrible steep terrain that can be a tangled jungle. Are you tough enough to endure 35 degrees in a pouring rain with a 30 mph wind or snow that is a couple feet deep and be there from well before daylight until after dark everyday. That is the weather that will get thrown at you this time of year. But to those who do it, it is a passion. Even at the age of 65 I am like a little kid before Christmas. This will be my fifty first elk season. I can hardly stand to wait.

I ain't hunting nowhere you need white camouflage

Dave":1zbgovqd said:
Dave with all due respect that doesn't sound macho....sounds plumb foolish to me. :lol2: :lol2: If you kill one how the heck do you get it back to civilization??

Dave":2qq9gkxu said:

I did a guide school in Colorado in 1979. And boy did I find out walking the mountains isn't nothing like running in the sand to build your wind.
We quartered them up and attached them to a pack frame and hauled the elk down on your back. Two days of toting if it was a good bull with help.

No white camo needed. We don't wear camo at all. You have to wear hunter orange which sort of defeats to purpose of wearing camo.

The elk get quartered and put on packboards and humped up the hill. This country has all been logged (most of it twice) so there are rocked logging roads. You are probably never more than a half mile from a logging road. Once we get it to a road I have a two wheel cart that is made to pull behind a bike. It will haul two quarters. The majority of the time we get an elk out of the woods the day it is killed unless it is killed late in the day. This time of year meat sure isn't going to spoil it is probably colder outside than it is hanging in a cooler. And who ever said that elk hunters are sane?

It is not that high of elevation so the air isn't thin like Colorado. The top of that ridge I will be on is the highest point around and it is only 2,600 feet. But the next highest thing to the west would be in Japan. When storms come rolling in off the Pacific they hit you right in the face. On a clear day you can see the Astoria bridge at the mouth of the Columbia. Or you turn to the east yo0u can see a whole row of volcanic peaks; Mt Hood, Mt St Helen, Mt Adams, and Mt Rainier. It is a beautiful place on a clear day. In the 9 days I will be there we might get one or two of those clear days.

The state success rate for elk hunter is about 10% or one elk every ten years. Hunting where we do and how we do we average considerably better than the state average.

Dave":ooubiuaa said:
No white camo needed. We don't wear camo at all. You have to wear hunter orange which sort of defeats to purpose of wearing camo.

The elk get quartered and put on packboards and humped up the hill. This country has all been logged (most of it twice) so there are rocked logging roads. You are probably never more than a half mile from a logging road. Once we get it to a road I have a two wheel cart that is made to pull behind a bike. It will haul two quarters. The majority of the time we get an elk out of the woods the day it is killed unless it is killed late in the day. This time of year meat sure isn't going to spoil it is probably colder outside than it is hanging in a cooler.

It is not that high of elevation so the air isn't thin like Colorado. The top of that ridge I will be on is the highest point around and it is only 2,600 feet. But the next highest thing to the west would be in Japan. When storms come rolling in off the Pacific they hit you right in the face. On a clear day you can see the Astoria bridge at the mouth of the Columbia. Or you turn to the east yo0u can see a whole row of volcanic peaks; Mt Hood, Mt St Helen, Mt Adams, and Mt Rainier. It is a beautiful place on a clear day. In the 9 days I will be there we might get one or two of those clear days.

The state success rate for elk hunter is about 10% or one elk every ten years. Hunting where we do and how we do we average considerably better than the state average.
Enjoy yourself buddy....I'll wait for pics. :nod:

Dave":yaur8p8t said:

The elk get quartered and put on packboards and humped up the hill. This country has all been logged (most of it twice) so there are rocked logging roads. You are probably never more than a half mile from a logging road. Once we get it to a road I have a two wheel cart that is made to pull behind a bike. It will haul two quarters. The majority of the time we get an elk out of the woods the day it is killed unless it is killed late in the day. This time of year meat sure isn't going to spoil it is probably colder outside than it is hanging in a cooler.

Western Oregon and Washington is the prettiest place I've seen in this country, in the summer.

True Grit Farms":2gkw5547 said:
Dave":2gkw5547 said:

Western Oregon and Washington is the prettiest place I've seen in this country, in the summer.

Lake Superior is pretty awesome too especially when it's 100 degrees here then 70-75 there everyday!

The state success rate for elk hunter is about 10% or one elk every ten years. Hunting where we do and how we do we average considerably better than the state average.[/quote]

Sounds absolutely amazing. Seeing and shooting an elk would just be a bonus.
Good luck.

NECowboy":1k7bxnsq said:
True Grit Farms":1k7bxnsq said:
Dave":1k7bxnsq said:

Lake Superior is pretty awesome too especially when it's 100 degrees here then 70-75 there everyday!

My family homesteaded a place on the north shore of Lake Superior, and commercial fished the lake for years. I was raised there off and on through out my youth years. It gets COLD there in the winter.

True Grit Farms":22ezsxi6 said:
My family homesteaded a place on the north shore of Lake Superior, and commercial fished the lake for years. I was raised there off and on through out my youth years. It gets COLD there in the winter.

Indeed it does part of the reason it's nice to visit in summer only! That's awesome grit. Never did Lake Superior fishing but some interior lakes nearby and it is awesome!!!

Husband called me little after 6:00 last night, said he shot a nice one around 5:00 & needed help. It was relatively easy to track the blood trail but the tornado had hit that back 40 (trees/limbs down all over) by then it was pitch black & it went down in a swell near the base of the ridge. Weighed 255 on the hook (more than twice my weight) and we had to drag that thing 60 yards up & across the ridge before we could get to a semi clear path back down to the Polaris & cart, probably another 100 yards. This included falling down twice (him), a face-slam on a tree after tripping over a log (me) & a puncture wound from a honey locust tree (me). When we took it in It only scored 148 & our processor was guessing 4.5 - 5.5 years old (prob closer to 5.5) so we're donating the meat. The rack is nice enough but definitely not worthy of a full mount. Can you tell I'm still a little cranky?

Thanks Tc. I haven't scored him. But I would guess around 130. I may be under estimating.
His mass is very heavy for our little hill country deer.
While not the biggest rack, I do believe he is probably the biggest body deer I've killed of our place. a brute for around here.

Latest posts