2015 Superduty

Help Support CattleToday:

bse

Reaction score
Looking at a new cab and chassis with a 6.7l powerstroke with automatic transmission. Does anybody know anything about these? Ive never had a ford other than the old beater i have now, always had GMs. Wasnt even thinking about a new truck, but the dealership says they have Lifetime warranty on the powertrain if i keep it seviced according to there maintanence schedule. Not sure about that either but cant find a flaw in what they offer, has anyone had any dealings with anything like that?

The Limited lifetime powertrain warranty is a dealership gimmick, not Ford. One major rule is that every receipt has to be kept for the life of the vehicle. If the tranny goes out at 200k and you can't prove maintenance was done at say 80k - but still have receipts for every other time, the lifetime warranty is void. Read all the small print.

It's 'limited', so make sure you're ok with what those are!

My ex bought a new Mazda 3, and for $200 she got free oil changes for as long as she owns it,... That sounds real good to me!

Its a warranty bought by the dealership and it covers all the drive train, motor, turbo, transfer case, transmission and rear end. You do have to keep it seviced, but ill do that anyway. They say there gambling that it will be wrecked or traded. Still got that thing in my head if sounds to good to be true it probably is. A good thought to think it may be the last truck ill ever have to buy.

bse":1v3yvv6j said:
Its a warranty bought by the dealership and it covers all the drive train, motor, turbo, transfer case, transmission and rear end. You do have to keep it seviced, but ill do that anyway. They say there gambling that it will be wrecked or traded. Still got that thing in my head if sounds to good to be true it probably is. A good thought to think it may be the last truck ill ever have to buy.
If was counting on the warranty being honored I would have the dealer do all service and I wouldn't miss any.

BSE.. I'd have to be a *lot* older than I am to think it would be the last truck I buy!
Is this purchased warranty or does it come standard from that dealer? I'd also try and find out how that dealer is doing financially, if they're about to close down it could be a last-ditch effort to stay open... And for the future if Ford ever has a screwy engine like the 6.0 it could put the dealership under!

The warranty comes with it nothing extra (supposedly) theres a group of dealers doing this, started in Florida so i hear and is backed by a warranty company not the dealer itself but the dealer will do the work. If i do it ill let them service since ill have it done anyway, but still gonna have to think on it.
How about the 6.7 anybody know anything about them?

Wife just bought a new GMC that came with "free" lifetime this and that. It is a dealer offering and all that "free" stuff is going to cost me $10K to $20K over the life of the vehicle. You said it yourself that "as long as the maintenance is done at the dealership …." and that's what is going to cost you. Don't make your decision based on the gimmick stuff offered by the dealership. JMHO.

I test drove a Ford truck with the 6.7 and was very impressed with the power. I did some checking around the Internet and the engine seems like it should hold up. There we some issues, but every diesel engine had issues. Most of the time all you hear is the bad news, and some people go out of their way to spread the bad news.

Two things come to mind.

#1 if the truck is always serviced at the dealer, the Dealer has a report that can be ran on the VIN showing the service history. There is also an OASIS report that can be ran too. This would show the service history on the vehicle in the event that a receipt is lost.

#2 "powertrain" does not mean it covers every component of the powertrain. I just had our 2012 F150 EB for a stumble. The turbo connector was bad. The repair was covered under the Extended Warranty as the 100k Powertrain Ford warranty covers ONLY the turbos and nothing connected to the turbos. I would get a detailed list of exactly what is covered under the limited lifetime warranty before making any decisions. Wouldn't hurt to get the list signed and notarized in the event you do buy the vehicle.

Yes, exactly Mudhog.. Read the fine print VERY carefully.

I heard the 6.7 is better than the 6.0, of course that's not setting the bar too high, the 7.3's I think are pretty much undisputed for engine life.

The early 6.7 cc models had some turbo issues, but they seem to have
Them fixed. The cc you are looking at will have the de-tuned version of the 6.7, so in therory the lower hp and TQ should add to the longevity of the engine. The 6r140 transmission is hard to beat for towing, just make sure it has the select shift feature on it. All in all it should be a pretty good rig.

Latest posts