2015 Ford F250 problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Headed into town today, got about 200 yards from the house & my truck lit up with the message "Reduced Engine Power", shifted all the way down to 1 (out of 6) and freakin' died. It's a '15 F250 diesel with a little over 8900 miles (I don't get out much :)). The only message I regularly get is "Cleaning Exhaust" and it was a little low on DEF when we checked but no other indications anything was wrong. Had it towed into town and naturally next Tues is the earliest they can work on it. Any thoughts?

TCRanch":3ehg9ycr said:
Headed into town today, got about 200 yards from the house & my truck lit up with the message "Reduced Engine Power", shifted all the way down to 1 (out of 6) and freakin' died. It's a '15 F250 diesel with a little over 8900 miles (I don't get out much :)). The only message I regularly get is "Cleaning Exhaust" and it was a little low on DEF when we checked but no other indications anything was wrong. Had it towed into town and naturally next Tues is the earliest they can work on it. Any thoughts?

replace the 2015 with something with the 7.3 in it is my first thought.. other than that no :)

skyhightree1":2smkvx78 said:
TCRanch":2smkvx78 said:

replace the 2015 with something with the 7.3 in it is my first thought.. other than that no :)

Oh, that's harsh. Only thing I haul is groceries :)

skyhightree1":375qsl1n said:
TCRanch":375qsl1n said:

replace the 2015 with something with the 5.9 in it is my first thought.. other than that no :)
I had to fix that glaring error :p

If I had a newer vehicle I'd definitely invest in code reader.. I don't know if your truck has the option to read codes without one.. some vehicles you can cycle the key 3 times and leave it on, and it'll display the codes on the message center/odometer

Nesikep":2yxkb4fc said:
skyhightree1":2yxkb4fc said:
TCRanch":2yxkb4fc said:

I had to fix that glaring error :p

If I had a newer vehicle I'd definitely invest in code reader.. I don't know if your truck has the option to read codes without one.. some vehicles you can cycle the key 3 times and leave it on, and it'll display the codes on the message center/odometer

My friend here made a mistake I fixed it back and I also would agree that you should get a code reader. I wish the best for you as I am having a motor put in my one and only chevy currently.

UT Elevator service bought 8 Ram trucks because of that very reason. So far none of the 8 has needed any service yet. All the new trucks and tractors will have emission trouble, thanks to the EPA and liberals.

if i can fix it im gona stay away from any thing that new /keep in mind i have 89 7.3supper duty farm truck 94 f 150 4x4 gaser 94 4x4 ranger 4.0 gaser the most loaned out truck in the county an it needs tune up an sensors ,front end allinment put new tires on year ago put 600 miles on it myself,an a 2004 dodge ram 2wd my nice truck
good luck with def company has semis with def there a pain in the ***!
forgot have 3 f150 in weeds for parts 2- 79s 1- 94 an i gave daughter 79 250

I've got a 2015 f350. They say it will loose power if it runs out of Def but don't think it should shut down. The only problem with mine is when Def reads 500 miles left I have to fill it up the light won't go out at half full. You should have 91,000 miles of warranty left, don't think id invest in a reader, I'd let ford read it.

Are code readers universal? It would be nice to use one for both trucks. The Man Truck is a 2016 Silverado HD3500. It's a bare-bones work truck & mine (the F250) has everything, kind of scares me - and is probably smarter than me so I'm assuming it has the option to read codes.

The new emission standards is precisely why didn't buy a new tractor last year.

Code readers are pretty universal now.. the cheap ones may have a few less features, but they should all be able to tell you what's going on...

Both times mine were faulty sensors
300.00 for a new sensor ( not covered under warranty of course) and back up and rolling.
Edit
Nearly 200k miles and no other issues

TCRanch":nkycfwod said:

That's some poor service right there. The truck probably tripped a code and the code just needs to be deleted. NAPA or Advance Auto could fix it in 10 minutes.

Being that new, if you have the display deal in the dash you can probably read the codes on there. Or most of the parts houses can do it or rent you a reader.
Having to wait that long to get a code read I would complain to Ford corporate about the service. Bet that would get them hopping on fixing it.

True Grit Farms":2wvny8ts said:
TCRanch":2wvny8ts said:

That's some poor service right there. The truck probably tripped a code and the code just needs to be deleted. NAPA or Advance Auto could fix it in 10 minutes.

Dealers hate doing warranty work it seems.. If you get a good code reader you can cut those codes off or reset them

bse":jk8wnlwb said:
I've got a 2015 f350. They say it will loose power if it runs out of Def but don't think it should shut down. The only problem with mine is when Def reads 500 miles left I have to fill it up the light won't go out at half full. You should have 91,000 miles of warranty left, don't think id invest in a reader, I'd let ford read it.

What concerns me is the Def light has never gone off & it was definitely low, added 2 gallons & it still wasn't full.

Kingfisher":2vquengy said:
Read your owners manual.

I made my husband do that. According to the manual it would appear to be a faulty sensor. My job is to thoroughly research the warranty, which should be covered. "Should" being the operative word.

Latest posts