2015 Ford F250 problem

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1o18zavj said:
TCRanch":1o18zavj said:
Headed into town today, got about 200 yards from the house & my truck lit up with the message "Reduced Engine Power", shifted all the way down to 1 (out of 6) and freakin' died. It's a '15 F250 diesel with a little over 8900 miles (I don't get out much :)). The only message I regularly get is "Cleaning Exhaust" and it was a little low on DEF when we checked but no other indications anything was wrong. Had it towed into town and naturally next Tues is the earliest they can work on it. Any thoughts?

That's some poor service right there. The truck probably tripped a code and the code just needs to be deleted. NAPA or Advance Auto could fix it in 10 minutes.

Yeah, this could be an issue. We really try to support our community and had no problem paying a couple grand more but when we found a nicer truck in Wichita for $6K less & our local dealer wouldn't budge on his price, well . . . And yet we are now at the mercy of our local service dept.

Take it to a ford dealer that kind of stuff is almost always under warranty. They should be able to tell you if it is or not before doing any repairs.

Crazy that is happening this young with an almost new super duty! Them are nice trucks!

Kingfisher":286kyeec said:
" cleaning exhaust" message is not a bad sensor. Reread your owners manual or google is your friend.

The one that killed it was "Reduced Engine Power" but I see your point: if the sensor was bad I wouldn't get a message in the first place.

TCRanch":1llx6x3l said:
True Grit Farms":1llx6x3l said:
TCRanch":1llx6x3l said:
Headed into town today, got about 200 yards from the house & my truck lit up with the message "Reduced Engine Power", shifted all the way down to 1 (out of 6) and freakin' died. It's a '15 F250 diesel with a little over 8900 miles (I don't get out much :)). The only message I regularly get is "Cleaning Exhaust" and it was a little low on DEF when we checked but no other indications anything was wrong. Had it towed into town and naturally next Tues is the earliest they can work on it. Any thoughts?

That's some poor service right there. The truck probably tripped a code and the code just needs to be deleted. NAPA or Advance Auto could fix it in 10 minutes.

Yeah, this could be an issue. We really try to support our community and had no problem paying a couple grand more but when we found a nicer truck in Wichita for $6K less & our local dealer wouldn't budge on his price, well . . . And yet we are now at the mercy of our local service dept.

We did just that getting a Tahoe recently for the wife. In addition to very limited local selection price difference just too much between what offering locally and at one of the volume dealers. We feel treated well by local service department that and used cars is where dealers make most of their money anyways!

On some Duromax the "instructions" are on the flip side of the sun visor. You prolly have a vanity mirror there on that Limo :) :hide:

Kingfisher":29wavfw0 said:
On some Duromax the "instructions" are on the flip side of the sun visor. You prolly have a vanity mirror there on that Limo :) :hide:

Sadly, I've never checked out the vanity mirror. Yesterday I caught a glimpse in the mirror when I came back in the house & discovered a hefty blob of mud/cow slobber/grass on my cheek. You CAN take the city out of the girl!

skyhightree1":1ajza98b said:
True Grit Farms":1ajza98b said:
TCRanch":1ajza98b said:

That's some poor service right there. The truck probably tripped a code and the code just needs to be deleted. NAPA or Advance Auto could fix it in 10 minutes.[

Dealers hate doing warranty work it seems.. If you get a good code reader you can cut those codes off or reset them

Never go into a dealer for anything else, too expensive. Dealer doesn't want to do my warranty work I'll take my $$ down the street.

NECowboy":vfiqraea said:
Take it to a ford dealer that kind of stuff is almost always under warranty. They should be able to tell you if it is or not before doing any repairs.

Crazy that is happening this young with an almost new super duty! Them are nice trucks!

Thanks, it's a Platinum, my 50th birthday present. Sweeeeet gift - until now :frowns:

TCRanch":21mg8kgg said:
NECowboy":21mg8kgg said:

Thanks, it's a Platinum, my 50th birthday present. Sweeeeet gift - until now :frowns:

Nice!! I told my wife I get the pickup she gets the Tahoe, got her a z71 Tahoe lately with mudflaps, but cool you love the platinum, special chrome grill is BEAUTIFUL!!

Aaron":3dcqi4sx said:
Get it fixed and trade it off on a gasser. I wouldn't own a new diesel with DEF if it was given to me.

She probably has genuine reasons for wanting diesel though like much higher towing capacity. That's the issue I've faced in looking at pickups, while I would love to shave 10k off purchase price by not having ridiculously expensive diesel option, it ain't going to tow what I need it to and got the super duty in the first place for!

Aaron":5tw8hqnq said:
Get it fixed and trade it off on a gasser. I wouldn't own a new diesel with DEF if it was given to me.
Got that right diesel today is not what we are used to. Gasser running is better than a diesel in the shop.
I screwed up not buying s new tractor last year before tier 4 kicked in.
All I am hearing is horror stories

Initially did look at gas but noticed the majority of the used trucks on the lot were gas. When we asked why, specifically for the ones that were only a few years old, they were traded for diesel/towing capacity. In retrospect, probably 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

TCRanch":75avsh15 said:
Initially did look at gas but noticed the majority of the used trucks on the lot were gas. When we asked why, specifically for the ones that were only a few years old, they were traded for diesel/towing capacity. In retrospect, probably 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.
Got to remember the ratio of gas to diesel on the road is a lot higher.
When my old 7.3 kicks the bucket back to gas I go. Son is a diesel mechanic and you couldn't give him a new one.
The company he works for unloaded all their one ton diesels for gas service work trucks.
It took twenty years for the auto industry to get gasoline lined out after the EPA jumped in, I just don't care to pay 60k and be the experimental proving ground.

Caustic Burno":2n7so9dg said:
TCRanch":2n7so9dg said:
Got to remember the ratio of gas to diesel on the road is a lot higher.
When my old 7.3 kicks the bucket back to gas I go. Son is a diesel mechanic and you couldn't give him a new one.
The company he works for unloaded all their one ton diesels for gas service work trucks.
It took twenty years for the auto industry to get gasoline lined out after the EPA jumped in, I just don't care to pay 60k and be the experimental proving ground.

CB, we're not in the stone age any more. Remember when computerized engines were supposedly junk, and EFI would never work and be dependable? How about way back when electronic ignition first came out?
Every manufacturer has emission problems, but Ford is by far the worst. It's pretty apparent that Ford doesn't do any R&D anymore. You sure would of thought after the 6.0 engine troubles that Ford would of gotten there act together.

I went back to a gasser for many of the reasons mentioned. I tow up to 12k on a regular basis and occasional 15k, I have had no issues on my 13' F-250 4x4 crewcab just rolled 65k miles. I have had 1 issue with the AC. Where I work, we have traded all the diesels in and went gas. I can tell you that the break downs have all but stopped compared to when we had all diesel pickups. They have ruined the diesel trucks IMO, but I may just be getting old and don't like spending 60k on a truck, then 2k to delete it and void warranties to make it run good. I hope the OP gets issued resolved. It would be nice to hear what the problem is once its figured out.

I don't like all these new all-electronic trucks.. much too complicated for me, and apparently too complicated for the engineers to make it work right too. I'm going to stick with what I know, perhaps spend a little time and money rebuilding.

Problem with Ford started when they left 7.3 navistar engines built by International. It is apparent Ford had no clue about a Diesel engine.
I owned 2 and still have a 7.3 you couldn't give me a new Ford diesel
You spend the kind of money the truck companies want it is supposed to roll down the hwy not pulled to the shop

Not true ! the 6.7 scorpion is built and engineered by ford . introduced in 2011 and was tested years before . Best light truck diesel motor ever !!. the ones complaining don't have one , diesel maintenance is high , . the posters issue will be emission related - ( this is not something I point towards ford) . I beat the s*** out of mine , 45k miles in past 12 months . Im speaking from experience , Most of the negative comments I see are not . gasser not an option for me

Latest posts