2008 F350 with 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel?

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder

Reaction score
A local dealer has a 2008 F350 Superduty XL flatbed with the 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel engine with automatic transmission. I need it to pull my stock, hay, and implement trailers, all of which it is more than enough truck to pull.

I'm just not familiar with the diesel engine. Anybody have any comments/pros/cons on the diesel engine in that model year?

The truck looks to be in really good shape. It has about 85,000 miles and the price is $14,995.

Well, the diesel engine and the automatic transmission are two things I've never had on my towing truck. Just was wandering folks thoughts on those two items.

My dad is in route now to take a look at the truck. If he thinks it a mechanically sound truck, I'm guessing it will on our farm by dinner time....

Google reviews of the engine.
My husband's last work truck was a 2008 Ford 3/4 ton with that engine and was an automatic. It was used daily pulling a loaded gooseneck and it almost left us stranded. The engine started making a weird noise and the RPMs would speed up, yet we would not go any faster. High RPMs and going 20 mph.
The company had several of the same models and they all ended up with engine problems. I know that my husband had the oil changed regularly and all required maintenance too. It had about 130, 000 miles on it. The cost to repair was over $4K.

He has a Dodge now.

chippie":3op71jdu said:
Google reviews of the engine.
My husband's last work truck was a 2008 Ford 3/4 ton with that engine and was an automatic. It was used daily pulling a loaded gooseneck and it almost left us stranded. The engine started making a weird noise and the RPMs would speed up, yet we would not go any faster. High RPMs and going 20 mph.
The company had several of the same models and they all ended up with engine problems. I know that my husband had the oil changed regularly and all required maintenance too. It had about 130, 000 miles on it. The cost to repair was over $4K.

He has a Dodge now.

Listen to Chippie OklaBrangusBreeder, she knows what she's talking about.

Meantime after you get that truck back to the farm give me a holler and I'll buy it at a $1,000 premium over what you're paying. That's a he!! of a deal.

I owned one for about 5months and traded it and went back to cummins. Never had any issues with mine other than a couple CEL's for thermostats but other than that no problems. That engine has several "known to fail" areas that my nerves got the best of me and I got rid of it. Even with the emissions deleted they get terrible mileage, towing a 16ft cattle trailer empty I got about 11 or 12. If it was loaded it was around 9 or 10. If left stock the regen process on the 6.4 is terrible. This causes a lot of diesel to end up in the oil. If previous owner didn't stick to a strict maint schedule the bearings could be prematurely worn from fuel dilution.

Common issues I found on powerstroke.org with that engine are as follows:

- Parts of valve train are plastic, and if they break or wear out it can cause valve/piston breakage.
- Crack pistons
- HPFP go out and send metal shavings thru fuel lines. Pump and lines have to be replaced.
- Radiators leak
- Some have oil cooler issues (not as common)
- Turbo seals
- Cracked up pipes

The head studs on the 6.4 are bigger than the 6.0 so unless you throw a big tune at it they seem to be ok. The transmission's on them are a lot stronger than the same year model cummins. The 5R110 is a strong automatic. The ride quality will beat a chevy or dodge in the same year model hands down. I liked mine, but was scared to death of a 4k repair bill if the hpfp or valve train crapped out so I traded it. Some 6.4's are like the "rare" 6.0's and run forever w/o issue. I have terrible luck so I cashed out :)

How long are you guy's planning on keeping the truck?? Ford only put 6.4 diesel engine in there trucks for a couple of years. Parts will be almost impossible to get in 10 years IMO. Don't ever believe what the mileage on the odometer says on a diesel truck.

The truck had to be worked on several times before the big fail.
Another thing about the model is that they have to remove the entire cab to work on the engine. It was designed by people who did not work on trucks.

If you decide to buy it, be sure to get a CarFax on it. It may reveal previous problems.

I paid 30K for the same truck with a manual tranny and 17,000 miles.

Based on the above comments, I did some internet research and did see many of the same comments from above reported. Glad to have been alerted to the issues. Fuel economy seems to be a question. The consensus out there I saw seems to be that on the whole, the engines are "reliable with only a few minor common issues" as one site put it. No major long term reliablity issues seem to be reported.

With all that said, I just talked to my Dad. He drove the truck and thought it solid. They came down on the price to $14,100 so we made the purchase. At that price, I can probably absorb dealing with some maintenance issues along the way. We are currently using a 1994 Ford 250 to pull our trailers that has about 150,000 miles on it. We will only put maybe 8,000 miles a year on the new truck so hopefully the F350 will get us down the road a number of years. Upgrading to a 14 year newer model just seemed too good to pass up at that price. Hope it works our for us...

I appreciate the input from all....

EDIT:
I did go ahead and run a carfax report. It only showed two repair items:
* 62,313 miles - engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
* 83,218 miles - Engine oil cooler replaced/repaired.
* No accident/repair records.
* The mileage history is sufficient to indicate that the mileage reported are the actual miles.

So, didn't see anything in the carfax report to cause concern in my eyes.

I know nothing about them or have any experience with them, BUT I was told 08 was when all the strict emissions regulations went into effect and before DEF(Ford) and it gave all the auto makers problems with the diesel engine.
If you'll notice there are lots of 08's for sale

My new-to-me truck

Truck.JPG

I'm very pleased with my purchase. I hope that it is as mechanically sound as it appears to be from an appearance/care perspective.

Stay away from the 6.4L and the 6.0L, unless you want to make it bullet proof by deleteing the DPF and EGR which will run you about $3500......Get a 6.7L or a dodge pre 2008

6.4's are junk. Love the body they were put into, but the heart is junk. I would love a 2008-2010 F-350 gas V8 with low miles.

Latest posts