2,4-D Mixing Information

Help Support CattleToday:

mudfork

Reaction score
Howdy, new here. I am looking to do some 2,4-D spraying to control horsenettle and morning glory in my hayfield. I know there are instruction regarding pints/acre, but does anybody have any knowledge regarding a general amount per gallon of water? I'll be using an ATV mounted tank sprayer that does a good job covering about a 30' area. I was hoping for some general info so that I can mix a tank and just give the field a good wetting. Trying to avoid some mental gymnastics.

Any other information regarding weed control in hay/pasture fields would be good. The field was limed and fertilized before the growing season, and the first cut of hay was fantastic. With recent rains, it is trying to bounce back, but the horse nettle, morning glory, and milkweed are bad. The field is mostly a mix of timothy, orchard grass, red and white clovers, and bluegrass. Also, there are plenty of hen turkeys with poults staying in the fields, will any harm be done to them?

A minimum of 10 gallons of mix per acre. You need to calibrate he sprayer to get the right amount of mix per acre. There's a thread about calibrating ATV sprayers week or so ago

Just a reminder that at high temps, like 90 degrees 2-4d can vaporize and drift. It will kill tomatos and several yard plants but is deadly on cotton. In Mississippi it is restricted after cotton comes up, about the middle of May. You may wish to check with the county agents or local chemical dealer to see if there are any such restrictions in Virginia.

Good luck.

I would like some info also.
:?: How much 2 4-D do you mix with 25 gal. of water for spot spraying?

My sprayer is a 25 gallon Fimco, with a spray bar on the back that has 3 nozzles. It does great at making a full coverage pass that covers a wide area. I can also shut down two nozzles and spray the heck out of a fenceline by maintaining a steady speed. It has a wand also.

mudfork

I have a 25 gal tank also, mine has a broadcast nozzle mounted at the rear of the 4 wheeler and I use 1.5 tanks per acre and I use 1.5 pints per tank. I have had good results so far.

Remember not to spray early in the morning with heavy dew because it will run off the weeds verses sticking to the leaves.

The way I figured out my coverage was to run over my 5 acre pasture with just water to determine the amount required per acre.

I still plan to buy a tractor mounted unit because the 4 wheeler sprayers are not made for large pastures. I really do like it for fence lines though, I put the adjustable nozzle on and mount it to one side of the 4 wheeler and off I go.

KenB":35tn9vcp said:

For spot spraying, amine/ester/lo-vol/hi-vol, doesn;;t matter. I use 7.5 oz per gallon. That's a heavy mix but normally for spot spraying I'm attaching horse//bull netle, pig weed and velvet leave with the occasional MF rose.

I've got a boomless spray nozzle that covers an area 60 ft wide like a heavy rain. Everything is saturated. For this, my application rate is nearly 100 gallons / acre at 18 GPM. To get the recommended coverage of 1 qt / acre, I'm diluting it 1 qt of 2-4d to 100 gallons of water.

perda04":29p5tn1o said:
I've got a boomless spray nozzle that covers an area 60 ft wide like a heavy rain. Everything is saturated. For this, my application rate is nearly 100 gallons / acre at 18 GPM. To get the recommended coverage of 1 qt / acre, I'm diluting it 1 qt of 2-4d to 100 gallons of water.
What pressure do you run that at to get that volume?

dun":2a53xd5q said:
KenB":2a53xd5q said:

For spot spraying, amine/ester/lo-vol/hi-vol, doesn;;t matter. I use 7.5 oz per gallon. That's a heavy mix but normally for spot spraying I'm attaching horse//bull netle, pig weed and velvet leave with the occasional MF rose.

You know, I don't believe I've ever heard of a Massey Furgerson rose :shock: :lol: But I've got a few Massey Furgerson Huisache (sp). :lol:

Earl Thigpen":29c60ipk said:
dun":29c60ipk said:
KenB":29c60ipk said:

You know, I don't believe I've ever heard of a Massey Furgerson rose :shock: :lol: But I've got a few Massey Furgerson Huisache (sp). :lol:

Earl, they don't have Massy Ferguson Roses in Dun's country.

They are Multi Flora. ;-)

We have a lot of the MF's around here though. :shock:

MikeC":2lvl1snp said:
Earl Thigpen":2lvl1snp said:
dun":2lvl1snp said:
KenB":2lvl1snp said:

Earl, they don't have Massy Ferguson Roses in Dun's country.

They are Multi Flora. ;-)

We have a lot of the MF's around here though. :shock:

MF isn;t alwasy multi flora.

I have a hypro centrifugal pump that supplies almost 100 GPM at 70 PSI.
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1403

ACE makes a similar pump.
http://www.acepumps.com/products/pto.php

As it is not a positive displacement pump, I don't worry about a pressure regulator or dumping the excess back into the tank. A gauge tells me it is very close to 70 PSI when the pto is running at 540. The pump still works great when I'm spot spraying with a wand at 3 GPM.

Tractor supply carries the 2.6 GPM model of this nozzle.
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=1791

Latest posts