What's the difference between 2 4 D & 2 4 DB?

Help Support CattleToday:

KB Ranch

Reaction score
I currently use 2 4 D with 80/20 surfactant on my fields. 2 4 DB is marketed as clover friendly, but requires more care in application. If I'm not going to get a major benefite I from switching to 24DB, I'm gonna stay the course. What's the difference?

Butyrac. It's not as good at killing stuff as regular 2, 4D, but will not kill legumes.

From what I understand it was popular before roundup ready crops became widespread, could spray your legumes with minimal affect on them, and kill the weeds that are within it's spectrum, which is pretty narrow if I remember correctly.

You would need to identify which weeds are causing you the most trouble, and evaluate whether or not the clover is worth saving.

I've used it in the past for pastures and hay, but over time I've realized that regular 24D will almost never kill clover. So I save my money.

24DB was more for the soybean rowcrop production prior to the introduction of Basagran and then the roundup ready soybeans.
Main target was cockleburs
Sprayed a lot of it in the 70s

Last time I used Butyrac on beans it pretty much laid the entire field down by harvest, had to cut them going one way only. That was a fun day.

Latest posts