13 year old cow has her first set of twins

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
Oldest cow on the farm just had to have twins, dang it. Fed Hay Yesterday morning and she was away from the herd pasturing lightly, went down and looked at her and she just walked off farther away from me and the herd continuing picking lightly. Got done feeding and had notice she had finally laid down a good distance away at the back of the pasture chewing her cud. I thought well she is either thinking about calving or isn't feeling very well. Had her due to calve Friday March 28th, therefore I guessed she was thinking of calving early. I got busy during the day with other things and didn't get to check on her until right before dusk. Got over there and found 2 baby bulls, a cherry red and a jet black. Ended up going to town to Tractor Supply and buying colostrum, fed the black calf it and the red one tended to not want any. Looked as though he might have nursed, so I left them and went in for the night. Went back early this morning and the black calf got up to try and nurse the dam, ended up helping him get a hold of the nipples. Also gave him a little more of the leftover colostrum I had. The red calf didn't want any of the colostrum again and had appeared to of nursed the dam again. It took a while moving them from the back 40ty to the barn but I got them there. Now I'm trying to decide on whether to keep both or sell one. Also it makes the last three sets of twins being bulls, thought it was more common to have a bull and a heifer. I was hoping for a single heifer from her and got 2 bulls, again dang it. I'll try and take some pics soon to post.

Looking forward to the pics! Sorry that you did not get what you were hoping for.......But the bright side is that you have 2 live calves. :)

Longevity is a good thing.

It is easy to know if they have sucked - feel their belly and there will be a small firm area that indicates a full stomach.

We have several cows that have done this and two years ago had one slightly older have twins and she raised them.

While I am not a fan of twins do not think that this is a dire situation - you might be surprised at how things turn out.

And in the end it is a matter of weight - if she raises two to 600 pounds, it is better than one to 800 pounds.

Good luck to you

Bez

Haven't had twins this year, and I think I have only 1 high-risk cow left to go (a heifer to boot) had 1 set a year for the last couple years though, a few turned out pretty good. Make sure she's got good food, and if I had my way, I'd expose her to the bull early, before the twins run her down... that's just my 2 bits though, maybe you'll get your heifer next year!

The twinning in maternal twins is all from the cow. We had one try to have twins 3 years in a row.. first set was good, and miscarried at about 7 months the next two sets... She saved herself from the truck because she'd always adopt another calf, but after the 3rd time I wasn't going to go through it again

They look pretty good! I bet she was hungry after that, she finally had room for stomach again... they looked like a pretty good size even for twins... what were they? 70 and 80 lbs?

You may not have gotten your heifer, but these 2 will put enough money in your pocket this fall you can go and buy a really nice heifer somewhere

I'm in the part of the cycle of a cow having twins that I enjoy now. They are eating well, momma is taking care of them well, they are staying together instead of apart, and they're a pleasure to watch and work with. Still don't like having twins though, the first day is really a pain in the rear and even the first few weeks is a bother. Still would rather have just a single baby where the cow could stay in the field with the herd and graze and raise the baby. With having twins, we remove the calves and dam from the herd and large pastures to the barn lots, heifer lots, bull lots, or just smaller pastures where we can keep an eye on them to help protect them from predators, and to supplement dam and calves. Usually they will stay there until the calves are weaned or at least 1 is. Never have brought myself to take a baby calf to the sale barn, we'll usually raise them regardless of what it takes to do so. I was told the other day I have spoiled these two. I'll call them by name and they'll come running to the gate. I'll let them out in the yard to a bunk feeder where they'll eat until full. Then I'll open the gate back up and they'll go right back through the gate to mamma where she is eating her grain and start nursing. It's been working well and I didn't have to go buy that creep feeder that I thought I would but I do have to watch them to make sure they don't decide to take a stroll. My border collies have been helping me with that. Anyway Cow and Calves are doing well. Sorry for not updating a pic of mamma but she is looking good and sorry for typing such a long paragraph.

Latest posts