“Losing Ground” Time to wake up!

Help Support CattleToday:

I am sure not a world traveler or that knowledgeable about world wide food preference. But our biggest pork export to China is hogs head and pigs feet. Japan buy a crap load of beef tongues. We export lot of lungs and livers all over the world. Those fake meat folks is going to need a little more time to fake pigs feet and hog heads. Just because some dumb---ed people here think fake meat is going to sell doesn't mean that it will anywhere else in the world.

If farmers are not allowed to pass their land on in inheritance, the price of land makes if almost impossible for someone to raise cattle and make money if starting from scratch. We live in about the cheapest place in Texas where cattle can graze. You cant pick up unimproved land here for less than 2000 an acre. Our land is paid for and we aren't rich on cattle sales.. SO I cant imagine a person who is paying for 500 acres is going to make much other than land payments off cattle... Who would do it?
So many ranchers in our area have died off and family sold off the land in small plots. That's another problem, no one to pass the farm to that will farm it. Not many left in our area to bale hay, shred, or any kind of maintenance.. so they sell to people who just camp on it.

Red Bull Breeder said:
I am sure not a world traveler or that knowledgeable about world wide food preference. But our biggest pork export to China is hogs head and pigs feet. Japan buy a crap load of beef tongues. We export lot of lungs and livers all over the world. Those fake meat folks is going to need a little more time to fake pigs feet and hog heads. Just because some dumb---ed people here think fake meat is going to sell doesn't mean that it will anywhere else in the world.

Some Countries also eat a lot of horse meat. also some are into dogs.

cowgirl8 said:
If farmers are not allowed to pass their land on in inheritance, the price of land makes if almost impossible for someone to raise cattle and make money if starting from scratch. We live in about the cheapest place in Texas where cattle can graze. You cant pick up unimproved land here for less than 2000 an acre. Our land is paid for and we aren't rich on cattle sales.. SO I cant imagine a person who is paying for 500 acres is going to make much other than land payments off cattle... Who would do it?
So many ranchers in our area have died off and family sold off the land in small plots. That's another problem, no one to pass the farm to that will farm it. Not many left in our area to bale hay, shred, or any kind of maintenance.. so they sell to people who just camp on it.
11,400,000 is the allowed value of an estate to pass without any taxes.

Nesikep said:
I doubt fake meat will ever really displace real meat.. especially cattle and sheep.. pigs and chicken perhaps. What's my reasoning? Well, Cows make land unsuited for anything else productive.. rangeland, scrub.. they can eke out a living there.
Fake meat on the other hand will rely on prime land for the raw ingredients, and if it's that good there's lots of stuff that can be grown there. The only way it'll ever compete in a serious way is if the farmers growing the raw materials are paid nothing, in which case they're probably better off putting cows back on it.
Industrialized pork and chicken has no flavor. That will give fake anything a foothold. Throw in a few abuse videos of dairy cows and you switch to soymilk. Food prices have been kept down by the gov for years and will continue.

The importation of meat is an example: act like you want to protect American farmers while importing direct competition. Cheap food controls the masses.

As far as land sales and conversion, from the sorry state of affairs we have been told about for weeks here, no local sales, starving cattle, no marketing efforts, ... I can see that if a neighbor read on CT and wondered about their future in the cattle business they would be more apt to sell out and quit. And if I don't want development near me I either have to buy the land, move to a more rural area or stay put and see that customers have just moved closer for direct sales.

hurleyjd said:
cowgirl8 said:
Thanks to trump. If it had gone the other way it would be different. And we aren't guaranteed we'll get a republican in 2020

cowgirl8 said:
hurleyjd said:
cowgirl8 said:
Thanks to trump. If it had gone the other way it would be different. And we aren't guaranteed we'll get a republican in 2020

If most folks understood credit shelter trusts or corporations, they would not worry one bit about transferring estates. Using your hometown accountant and trust company (if one even exists) is probably not a great strategy, unless your hometown guy has spent some quality time at a Cannon Financial trust school or has had extensive training in a trust company setting.

hurleyjd said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Some Countries also eat a lot of horse meat. also some are into dogs.

Amazing what you'll eat when starvation is the option and we haven't even discussed rodents yet. :lol2:

I've eaten mountain lion.. I'd definitely eat horse, if I haven't already... bear is delicious
Wouldn't want to eat scavenging animals unless it was the only option

cowgirl8 said:
hurleyjd said:
cowgirl8 said:

Under Trump, the exemption did almost double, but even before that, the estate gift exemption for a couple was still $11 million. Now it is about $22 million. I doubt that whoever is elected, it will go back the way it was in the old days. It has been climbing since 2011.

I keep thinking that the government is going to quit giving welfare to farmers one of these days. Then the land prices will be back where you can afford to buy a little more land to put cattle on. The way I see it is you can't afford to buy land to expand your cattle operation and think it's a good investment. And land rent is to high for cattlemen that live in row crop country, and the reason is because of the farmers are willing to pay more to lose more. A crop insurance agent told me that no one in his three counties can farm without borrowing money every year? I don't see that as a positive cash flow.

Selling out to development eventually is the entire game plan in my case. I would think that is every farmers dream in Madison County Alabama. I know what ever I purchase selling to developers is the main reason that goes into the decision. Always buy close to a new school if possible is what I was taught.

I was raised in Puyallup, Washington. At that time the valley was either dairies, berry fields, vegetables, or bulb farms. There was a 40 acre place kiddy corner to my parents place. I rented that pasture while in High school. The other side of it was a chicken hatchery and their breeder farm. They ran about 60 cows on their fields. It is all solid houses now. In 1979 I moved 50 miles south to a sleepy little farm community. Lots of dairies, small beef operations, sweet corn and peas raised in the area. When I sold out in September 2017 there were very few dairies left, fewer beef places, and none of the crop farmers. Schools were too small by the time they were up and running. Houses springing up every where. I moved out far enough this time that they wont catch me. My closest neighbor's family stopped their covered wagon here on the Oregon trail. There are less people here now than when they stopped back in 1850.

Dave said:
I was raised in Puyallup, Washington. At that time the valley was either dairies, berry fields, vegetables, or bulb farms. There was a 40 acre place kiddy corner to my parents place. I rented that pasture while in High school. The other side of it was a chicken hatchery and their breeder farm. They ran about 60 cows on their fields. It is all solid houses now. In 1979 I moved 50 miles south to a sleepy little farm community. Lots of dairies, small beef operations, sweet corn and peas raised in the area. When I sold out in September 2017 there were very few dairies left, fewer beef places, and none of the crop farmers. Schools were too small by the time they were up and running. Houses springing up every where. I moved out far enough this time that they wont catch me. My closest neighbor's family stopped their covered wagon here on the Oregon trail. There are less people here now than when they stopped back in 1850.

I envy you.

I can't say it wouldn't be nice for this place to sell for a huge chunk of money someday but I sure hope I never see it. There's a reason I moved here and it wasn't to make a fortune.

jehosofat said:
Dave said:

I envy you.

If one sets goals and achieves them, then one can enjoy their own rewards. Many wise philosophers have written that envy is not a desirable trait.

Bright Raven said:
jehosofat said:
Dave said:

I envy you.

If one sets goals and achieves them, then one can enjoy their own rewards. Many wise philosophers have written that envy is not a desirable trait.

It's not wise to run your mouth all the time, but you've mastered it. I wasn't talking to you, stay out of it.

jehosofat said:
Bright Raven said:
jehosofat said:
I envy you.

It's not wise to run your mouth all the time, but you've mastered it. I wasn't talking to you, stay out of it.

You would do well to take your own advice.

Bright Raven said:
jehosofat said:
Bright Raven said:

You would do well to take your own advice.

Didn't take you long to return to your usual ways.

Latest posts