“Losing Ground” Time to wake up!

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
I've been talking about this quite often.

Been talking about upping your game before you become a casualty.

My neighbor is already talking about selling out to develop a subdivision.

This is worth watching.

I see it happening all around me.

http://bit.ly/2EVIKHZ

I think i'ts great. Eventually they will get to the point that enough food can't be raised, and prices will rise. American agriculture is too productive is the reason farmers are broke.

turklilley said:
I think i'ts great. Eventually they will get to the point that enough food can't be raised, and prices will rise. American agriculture is too productive is the reason farmers are broke.

I think most Americans would lose their sh.t if food prices doubled.

The majority of America takes things for granted when it comes to what goes in the pie hole.

turklilley said:

Don't misunderstand my reply. I'm a friend of the farmer. But the majority of farmers in this area are far from broke. They are all riding around in $60-70k trucks with the biggest, prettiest green tractors sitting everywhere, and buying up all the land that they can. Wives have new vehicles, they live in houses that Wall Street would approve of, and more toys than one could possibly enjoy. And most of them work less hours than I do. I'm glad for them. But I've heard enough poor mouthing out of them to last a lifetime. One thing is for sure. The days of the little farmer, 2, 3, 400
acres, is over around here for now. The ones still farming are 1000-5000 acres. Again, that is here. In the Midwest, I've heard of farmers farming as much as 40k acres. They go broke bc there is no possible way to manage an operation that large for a sustained length of time.

By the way, I'm in favor of a reduction in competition. American Ag is very productive and there is a surplus of most commodities. A shortage would be worse. Need to find a happy median.

************* said:
turklilley said:

I think most Americans would lose their sh.t if food prices doubled.

The majority of America takes things for granted when it comes to what goes in the pie hole.

The high dollar, purebred, low volume farms will lose their ass. Commercial herds that know how to produce will flourish. Bank on it.

Brook,

You don't believe in the viability of manufactured meat products, i.e., fake meat, but I do. The resources - land, infrastructure, labor, feed, etc. To husband live animals as a protein source are too great. In 20 years, manufactured beef steaks/burgers will be pressuring live animal production. In 40 years, manufactured meats will be healthier and taste better. More importantly, it will be infinitely more economical that live meat production. Lots of research and investment going after those predictions.

Some what do you think is the answer? I don't know but wonder what does one do in that situation. I am pretty sure i will never have to decide in my lifetime as i live on the outside of Podunk. The subject makes me think of a couple examples in Bowling Green. One was a Angus farm that town just grew around, he held out to the end. Then to my understanding kids sold it last year. Last time i was by there dozers were going. Other one transpark got it, he put that money into expanding and bought alot more acres.

Bright Raven said:
Brook,

You don't believe in the viability of manufactured meat products, i.e., fake meat, but I do. The resources - land, infrastructure, labor, feed, etc. To husband live animals as a protein source are too great. In 20 years, manufactured beef steaks/burgers will be pressuring live animal production. In 40 years, manufactured meats will be healthier and taste better. More importantly, it will be infinitely more economical that live meat production. Lots of research and investment going after those predictions.

Yuck!

Bright Raven said:
Brook,

I won't discredit your statement, as you may well be right. But I sure hope you aren't.

BR

What you said is true, and there is nothing wrong with the Impossible Burger.

Why you ask? Because there is no way in h.ll that current beef production will ever keep up with demand. Beef consumption is predicted to grow significantly in the next 10 years, so is the world's population.

I predict that a prime Angus rib eye or filet mignon in 20 years will be a very expensive luxury, but it won't go away.

People forget, meat is a luxury, most of the world will never be able to head into a steakhouse, EVER! People that have not traveled outside the United States have NO CLUE how fortunate we are here, and how readily available meat is to U.S. citizens.

I'm not losing sleep over fake meat, but I am concerned about human encroachment.

I've mentioned this before, but nobody says a word about it, but I think humans and the growth of the overall population on Earth poses a far greater risk than cattle ever will. If we had 1 billion people on the planet, I seriously doubt we would have the problems we face now. It's a conundrum that is far beyond my ability to solve.

Getting rid of cattle is not the answer. Take Lexington, KY for example, not a huge city, but consider this, probably 300k vehicles are driving into the city on a given day. That's a lot of emissions, I doubt the Kentucky herd puts out that much pollution, I could be wrong, who knows?

More carbon in the air, equates more plant growth, and better drought resistance, people are good source of carbon.
Which means more food on less acres.
That video said "we've lost X billion acres of farmland", yet we still keep surpassing the previous years metric tons produced.

Must be magic.

************* said:
BR

What you said is true, and there is nothing wrong with the Impossible Burger.

Why you ask? Because there is no way in h.ll that current beef production will ever keep up with demand. Beef consumption is predicted to grow significantly in the next 10 years, so is the world's population.

I predict that a prime Angus rib eye or filet mignon in 20 years will be a very expensive luxury, but it won't go away.

People forget, meat is a luxury, most of the world will never be able to head into a steakhouse, EVER! People that have not traveled outside the United States have NO CLUE how fortunate we are here, and how readily available meat is to U.S. citizens.

I'm not losing sleep over fake meat, but I am concerned about human encroachment.

I've mentioned this before, but nobody says a word about it, but I think humans and the growth of the overall population on Earth poses a far greater risk than cattle ever will. If we had 1 billion people on the planet, I seriously doubt we would have the problems we face now. It's a conundrum that is far beyond my ability to solve.

Getting rid of cattle is not the answer. Take Lexington, KY for example, not a huge city, but consider this, probably 300k vehicles are driving into the city on a given day. That's a lot of emissions, I doubt the Kentucky herd puts out that much pollution, I could be wrong, who knows?

But hey, the world's going to run out of oil.....like 30 years ago! And by 2020 the seas will have risen 50cm flooding coastal cities. No point worrying about things too much as many times it never eventuates. China is now worried their population is not going to maintain itself and are encouraging people to have more children. Here in Australia the population wont grow so we import people. But yes we are being pushed out by development too but at least that is good for a retirement fund.

I doubt fake meat will ever really displace real meat.. especially cattle and sheep.. pigs and chicken perhaps. What's my reasoning? Well, Cows make land unsuited for anything else productive.. rangeland, scrub.. they can eke out a living there.
Fake meat on the other hand will rely on prime land for the raw ingredients, and if it's that good there's lots of stuff that can be grown there. The only way it'll ever compete in a serious way is if the farmers growing the raw materials are paid nothing, in which case they're probably better off putting cows back on it.

no lab grown meat injected with hormones and bathed in antibiotics 24/7 will ever be as healthy as real meat.

ddd75 said:
no lab grown meat injected with hormones and bathed in antibiotics 24/7 will ever be as healthy as real meat.

1. Antimicrobial will be ultraviolet light.
2. Homones are not used. It is reconstituting protein into a form that simulates steak or hamburger, etc.

I agree with Brook, that there is likely to be a long term market for real live animal beef as a luxury. But the vast population on the planet with never see a steak in 50 years.

There are conservation easements that will pay the development value for you to keep it in farmland or timberland. It's still used for farming or timber harvest but can't be developed.

Bright Raven said:
ddd75 said:

2. Homones are not used. It is reconstituting protein into a form that simulates steak or hamburger, etc.

I agree with Brook, that there is likely to be a long term market for real live animal beef as a luxury. But the vast population on the planet with never see a steak in 50 years.

I'd double check that info.

cowrancher75 said:
Bright Raven said:
ddd75 said:

I'd double check that info.

I have a friend who is invested. There are several concepts floating around. It is all speculation on how it will be done 20 years from now.

My point is that it does not have to employ antibiotics. There are several bacterostats that can be used.

What they can do, and what they will do can be two different things.
Just wait till the Chinese lab grown meat starts floating around. :shock:

Bright Raven said:
ddd75 said:
But the vast population on the planet with never see a steak in 50 years.

Outside of our country, I think this is already true

Latest posts