°$$_&-7-&&&&### heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

First get her in a confined space.

1)If you can put her in a chute it might help. At least to get the colostrum.
2) Sometimes you can bring a dog around close and 'the light switch will come on'. Maybe trigger her maternal instincts.
3)Some may not like this but I have taken a good stiff piece of pipe and beat the heII out of her. Sometimes once is enough. Have done it for a week.

Either way she is likely to do it with her next calf. Not guaranteed but likely.

I got to deal with the calm now as it's been in same spot close to a day so weak can't hold head up or stand tried to get her to let him as she's a gentle heifer but won't take him.. if she lives I'll fool with heifer some

Oh dang! Yup, definitely try to save the calf & deal with the heifer later. Happened to me only once: heifer spit out her calf, took one look & hit the road. Had to pen them up for a week before she would finally let the calf nurse while I bottle fed but she ended up being the mama that bawled the most when we weaned. Hope your little one makes it, keep us updated!

Sky, I'm sorry to hear that. A number of years ago, I had a heifer that initially cleaned & claimed the calf, but after 2 days or so, she decided that she didn't want to be a mother anymore. I got a couple of bottles of replacer, water, electrolytes etc into the calf to get it back up to speed. Then I penned them up together, and played that rodeo game for almost 2 weeks----- get cow in the chute, let calf nurse, while cow wanted no part of it------- and she never did want anything to do with it. I bottle fed for a while, then sold the calf to a guy looking for a bottle calf and sold the heifer to another guy, who was willing to give her a try. I found out, about a year later, that she calved again and this time all was well.

Hopefully you can get that calf back on its feet (so to speak) and fool around with it & the mother and she'll accept it. I've seen it work with some.

Good luck.

Sky, I have to agree with the %$#$% heifer title. I also feel that the best thing you can do it try to get some energy into the calf, Electrolytes of some sort to just get some "sugar" energy into it, then get the sorry so and so heifer in the chute and milk out some colostrum or get some powdered colostrum REPLACER not supplement, into the calf. At least you are not dealing with zero temps, but we are getting showers so that will chill them. Sometimes they can be so D#$%ed dumb. Is she a really young heifer? I have found over the years that the young ones often just don't get it . But once in awhile a cow won't take a calf either....they don't get a second chance but a heifer will if she will eventually take it.

Add a couple beaten raw eggs into the bottle of whatever you give it. The protein is very easily assimulated by the gut tract.

Thankfully,I haven't had that happen in quite a while.If you can get them early putting them in a chute and letting the calf nurse several times has worked for us as has taking a dog around plus feeding her a little extra grain so she's glad to get the calf to relieve her of the extra milk.Never remember one doing it the second time but if she did,she's going to be leaving.
Another reason I don't want summer calves.Too hot to fool with problems.Neighbor has a calf like yours.Cow will come to it and mother it, but it's weak.

I just sent one to slaughter that had 3 chances. She wouldn't claim her calf for the first 24-36 hours. She'd try to kill it. After that amount of time passed, she loved her baby. First time, I worked with her. Second time, I knew who abandoned the newborn and brought her in-again. This year, I kept her penned up. Sure enough, she calved and tried to kill her calf but I was ready. She didn't go back to grass this spring. I weaned her calf and she's probably on the menu at a local MickeyD's.

Chocolate Cow2":y1l9rlsl said:
I just sent one to slaughter that had 3 chances. She wouldn't claim her calf for the first 24-36 hours. She'd try to kill it. After that amount of time passed, she loved her baby. First time, I worked with her. Second time, I knew who abandoned the newborn and brought her in-again. This year, I kept her penned up. Sure enough, she calved and tried to kill her calf but I was ready. She didn't go back to grass this spring. I weaned her calf and she's probably on the menu at a local MickeyD's.

One of my closest friends has dealt with the exact same situation for either 5 or 6 calves in a row. His son doesn't want to sell cow bc she raises such a good calf. She'd be gone if she were mine. Makes you wonder if it's some kind of hormone imbalance or something. Like you say after a couple of days she will eat your lunch over her baby.

There's no reason to spend so much time on one when all the others are doing their job with no fuss. She did raise a good calf and I figured it was hormonal but my cows work for me, not me work for them. ;-)

Chocolate Cow2":19yfqkxs said:
There's no reason to spend so much time on one when all the others are doing their job with no fuss. She did raise a good calf and I figured it was hormonal but my cows work for me, not me work for them. ;-)

I didn't always share that way of thinking but the older I get the more I'm adopting it! I don't mind looking after them and I still go the extra mile when I do have a problem, but my babysitting days are all but over. You're absolutely correct, making your cows work for you is the ticket.

She's shown more movement I gave colostrum and electrolyte mixed together.. she's been on my kitchen floor now being boarder in my bathroom. She can now hold her head up and drink from the bottle she's still weak but started walking in the bathroom. What I did with her is the same as I do with my bottle calves... Shot of selenium 2 big shots of iron then colostrum and electrolytes. I work to hard to feed the cattle and care for them as what was said I may try to get calf to nurse if not no biggie I'm set up for bottle calves I may just buy more instead of having just 1. My cows the least they can do is raise there calf .

Well, we all know the cost of buying milk for you far exceeds the cost of buying milk for a calf :p

I can deal with them if they don't mother up right away on their first calf.. hey, they have to learn a little too.. but from then on they better figure it out quick. I've never had one yet that refused her calf.. well.. except for the one I tried to graft the orphan on this spring.. she'd "put up with it" as long as I was there and she was tied to a post, but that was 2 months after she lost her calf.

I don't think you should mix the colostrum with the electrolytes. I had a vet warn me about doing this last year, when I was feeding a twin that was having some issues. I am trying to find my notes with his exact explanation, but I think it was something about the electrolytes preventing absorption of the milk. He said the milk forms a clot in the stomach of the calf which is used by the calf for nutrition. The electrolytes prevent that from happening I think. I was dealing with a slight case of diarrhea, so my problem was different, but maybe you should ask a Vet about doing it. My Vet said to alternate between the two, giving at least 1/2 hour between feeding each.

Heifer is doing alot better and is up walking around she got up and was walking around the bathroom last night and went buck wild when i picked her up and put her in a spare dog pen.

Katpau I don't know if its good or bad for them but i have raised a couple hundred in the same manor with no noticeable issues the mix is mostly water and not heave on either the colostrum or electrolytes. My vet came out and never mentioned anything other than if its working in your favor then do what your doing. Since she didnt have any nutrition her milk will be light for a while but she has drank a whole bottle and a half so far.

That is good to hear. It sounds like she will make it.
If I were you, once that calf is strong, I would try putting it back with the heifer. Catch her in the head-gate and let the calf nurse on her. I bet once she gets over her fear of the unknown, she may raise that calf. I think we all prefer that. Easier on you, better for the calf, and so much cheaper. I hope it works out. Bottle calves really tie you down and almost never amount to much.

Good read.
http://dtnpf-digital.com/article/When_It’s_Time_To_Step_In/1936781/246968/article.html
Glad to hear the calf is improving. Unfortunately, separation doesn't make the heart grow fonder in these situations. Best to let her nurse the cow while in the chute, preferably 3 x's/day. I'd also make darned sure the dam didn't attempt to kick the calf while it was nursing. Also helps to put a tasty treat in front of the chute. Can you pen them in tight quarters with the calf protected behind a barrier?
Never had (knock on wood) a 1st CH reject her calf. If it ever happens and she doesn't have an attitude adjustment pronto, she'd be on the bus to town post haste. Good luck!

Latest posts