Your thoughts on this bull please

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
2079Son.jpg

I'd really like your honest opinions on this bull, please. He's a yearling Beefmaster bull. Thanks to all of you for your responses.

EC

thats a nice thick clean sheathed bull.nice leg set.good straight level topline.nicely filled out.nice shoulders an hipps good spring of ribb.how much are you feeding him.

I don't like the way he looks in your pen there, I'm pretty sure he would look better in mine. Are you sure there is enough sheath to really call him a Beefmaster :cboy:

Good bull! He has sound legs and lines; and what could be misstaken for him being pinched is only his good sholders. TEhayandcattle made a just remark I guess.

Try and get another pic, please.

In this pic he looks to have a weak rear left pastern, but I can see he isn't standing on level ground. Good alround bull, could be slightly deeper chested if I have to find something to criticise. Much better shoulders than your typical beefmaster.

whatsupdoc3":3fo4j8f4 said:
He's a yearling and he should only get better. Good well put together bull.
  • >>>You might consider culling him because of the white patch above his right eye.<<<
But that would not bother most myself included.
you jokin' right

bigbull338":182iv5ti said:
thats a nice thick clean sheathed bull.nice leg set.good straight level topline.nicely filled out.nice shoulders an hipps good spring of ribb.how much are you feeding him.

He's getting free choice bluestem prairie hay and 12-15 lbs of a 13% creep.

Joy of Texas":182iv5ti said:
Nice looking bull. How much does he weigh ?

In this picture, he was topping out just over 1,000 lbs.

TEhayandcattle":182iv5ti said:
I don't like the way he looks in your pen there, I'm pretty sure he would look better in mine. Are you sure there is enough sheath to really call him a Beefmaster :cboy:

He belongs to a friend of mine. I'm sure he'd look better in my pen as well. :) Regarding his sheath, there are two things that come to mind. 1) Buyers don't like a lot of leather on stocker calves. 2) We want to lessen the chances of injury due to a pendulous sheath.

KNERSIE":182iv5ti said:
Try and get another pic, please.

In this pic he looks to have a weak rear left pastern, but I can see he isn't standing on level ground. Good alround bull, could be slightly deeper chested if I have to find something to criticise. Much better shoulders than your typical beefmaster.

I think the photo and ground has a lot to do with the appearance of that hind hoof. I agree that I'd like to see him a little deeper in his chest.

whatsupdoc3":182iv5ti said:
He's a yearling and he should only get better. Good well put together bull. You might consider culling him because of the white patch above his right eye. But that would not bother most myself included.

I sure hope you're joking, but you wouldn't be the first or last person to think that Beefmasters should be solid red. If they were all solid red and polled, someone would give Red Brangus the credit...horned and you'd hear someone talking about the best Santa Gertrudis they've ever seen...better leave a little white here and there. :tiphat:

EC

Nice bull, as has been said I'd like to see him deeper in the chest but also deeper through the barrel. He also appears somewhat short bodied, but particularly short in the rump/hindquarter. Nice muscle expression, adequate structure. Good masculinity

Keren":2e8qauvn said:
Nice bull, as has been said I'd like to see him deeper in the chest but also deeper through the barrel. He also appears somewhat short bodied, but particularly short in the rump/hindquarter. Nice muscle expression, adequate structure. Good masculinity

I think you may be falling victim to the forward angle of the camera while taking this photo. It seems like you may be referring to his rear quarter from hooks to pins. The angle of this picture is not sufficient to properly display his rear quarter. I may be wrong, but I think I'm right (surprise, eh?). :D

texast":2e8qauvn said:
Really nice looking bull! Is he real docile

Yes, he's got great disposition. I've noticed his sire has several calves with exceptional disposition. I have a half brother to this bull who is as easily workable as they come.

EC

East Caney":26zhp415 said:
Keren":26zhp415 said:

I think you may be falling victim to the forward angle of the camera while taking this photo. It seems like you may be referring to his rear quarter from hooks to pins. The angle of this picture is not sufficient to properly display his rear quarter. I may be wrong, but I think I'm right (surprise, eh?). :D

texast":26zhp415 said:
Really nice looking bull! Is he real docile

Yes, he's got great disposition. I've noticed his sire has several calves with exceptional disposition. I have a half brother to this bull who is as easily workable as they come.

EC

Ec, that is why I wrote "appears" - I cannot say whether or not this bull really is short through the rear third. I can only comment on what I can see in the picture, and from this picture alone, he appears short.

EDIT: I just looked at the photo again and you have taken the photo from almost the right angle, only thing is his hindquarter needs to be angled a bit closer to you.

Santas and Duhram Reds":kb38udj8 said:
Best Santa Gertrudis? I don't know about that one.

:) First, I'd like to commend you for coming to the defense of your breed of choice. I thought I may have snuck a low blow in there and it gone un-noticed. :) Now, let me clarify. I wasn't speaking of this particular bull appearing to be "the best Santa Gertrudis" if he was solid red and horned. I'm referring to the perception of good Beefmaster cattle from passers by who see the cattle on the side of the road...they'd see pretty, dark red, horned cattle and call them Gerts....sort of the way any black-hided animal with no sheath is referred to as Angus by anyone passing by. And the passer by would think, "Man, look at that thick-butted Angus bull." Though the black may have been bred in, a good black Continental bull probably did not get the majority of that muscling from the Angus that was used to obtain a black hair coat.

Now, before the Angus folks jump down my throat, let me state that I am not bashing your breed. I am simply stating, and it holds to be true, that Continental breeds are generally heavier muscled than English breeds.

Keren,

I agree with the critique of the picture. I didn't take the photo, and I've not seen the bull in person in quite some time. As I remember, however, his rear quarter was adequate. I'll be headed up where the bull is located in the next couple of days, and I'll try and get a better photo....no promises, but I'll try. I debated even posting a picture of the bull for some time due to the overall quality of the picture. It's a good picture, but we all know that very small things (such as angles) can completely change the appearance of an animal.

EC

EC I like of that boy he has good streight lines good muscling thick a bull like him will fool you when trying to guess his weight he still has a lot of growing to do yet and i figure he can only get better as time goes on would like to see some of his offspring when they hit the ground.He is a fine looking critter to me.

rattler