Your Best Steak

Help Support CattleToday:

You won't believe it, but, I'm---another bite---- right now having grilled rib steak from a 14 month old corn fed Black Angus heifer. This is UNBELIEVABLE!! Ain't going to get better then this. Excuse me.

I'm glad to see this question. Always heard holsteins were good eating and the responses seem to be supporting the rumor. I plan on finding out myself this fall.

Last steer we had butchered was a Simmental. He had a busted leg so we just fed him up on grain while he chomped on a bit of hay. He sure made for some nice steaks and hamburgers. :)

Best steak I ever had was out of a holstein steer my Grandpa butchered. Took the t-bones, salt and peppered them and cooked them in an iron skillet on top the wood stove. Haven't tasted anything like that one since.

Best steak the wife ever cooked was out of one of her tarentaise/angus steers, tossed the t-bones on the grill right after getting home from the butcher's, again only salt and pepper. If you need steak sauce it ain't a good steak.

Flavor, tenderness, the whole nine yards was from a Shorthorn/Piedmontese... not just the steaks. Every cut from that animal was wonderful.

Our family has eaten a lot of dairy steers (holstein and jersey). They all were tasty and tender. To me, the dairy meat has a finer grain. Some of the best meat that we have raised was a Belgian Blue steer.

The greasiest steer was a Brahman/Jersey cross. We have the hamburger ground lean, and even then you needed a water hose nearby to extinguish the flames when grilling hamburgers.

grannysoo":oy7xohn8 said:
Steak sauce is for those that can't cook a good steak.

So true. Not everyone can cook or grill a steak.

Here's another question for you all. How do you like your steak - rare, well done or in between :?:

Right now I am eating a dink....

Didnt grow out and would have takin a beating at the barn.
Little steer 718 lbs herf/simmie cross

Steaks are the right size and the meat will just fall off the bone.
Got alittle less than 400 lbs cut meat so he yeilded well even if he didnt grow worth a nickle?

chippie":2z6um0dy said:
Here's another question for you all. How do you like your steak - rare, well done or in between :?:

A minute and ahalf on one side and one minute on the other, draw your own conclusions

chippie":16yz4hlf said:
grannysoo":16yz4hlf said:
How do you like your steak - rare, well done or in between :?:

Reddish-pink in the middle, juices running red. Husband will eat it pink, prefers closer to well-done.

As to the steak sauce comments, right-on. If it needs sauce, then either it's not that good or it wasn't cooked right.

Katherine

OK...go ahead and attack me...lol.

An 14 to 18 month old grass fed TEXAS LONGHORN that has never bred, and is kept in a smaller pasture. Tenderloin, T-Bone, Ribeye, Sirloin. The rest in 95% hamburger.

We do one every year.

Yes, I use marinate and other stuff. Since neurosurgery in 1998 I lost 80% of my taste, so I need a lot of spices and pepper in most everything I cook.

On a sidebar, any animal species (regard of color or genetic origin) is PINK once you rip off the hide. Hide color is merely everyday working clothes...lol.

:banana: