Steak size

Help Support CattleToday:

laek

Reaction score
So I just got two of my steers back from the abattoir today. Something I'm wondering is what dictates the size of the steaks? Thickness is just as requested, but the size of the steaks (rib steaks especially) are small. I've sent other steers in the past and found that again the steaks are small. Should I grown them longer?
Does anybody have some knowledge on why this is?
They were both 16 months old and finished on cracked corn.

So I just got two of my steers back from the abattoir today. Something I'm wondering is what dictates the size of the steaks? Thickness is just as requested, but the size of the steaks (rib steaks especially) are small. I've sent other steers in the past and found that again the steaks are small. Should I grown them longer?
Does anybody have some knowledge on why this is?
They were both 16 months old and finished on cracked corn.
How large were your animals? 16 months could be 800 pounds or 1600 pounds live weight, and the size of the steaks accordingly.

The biggest rib eye I've ever seen personally was on a Holstein that was less than two years old. Smallest was on an Angus. Muscle mass is relatively heritable.

Last edited:
Is this the same butcher you've used in the past? Those appear to be boneless and they also appear to have been very trimmed (was the ribeye cap removed)?
It wasn't the same butcher as usual, the local place was booked into the spring. I bought them when they were about 600# so the timeline was tight. But even in the past at the local butcher the steaks were all lacking in size. At least I thought so.
The angus cross was cut to have back ribs and boneless rib steaks, yes I agree they are excessively trimmed no fat cap.
The other animal was cut with bone in ribeyes fat cal was also removed, they were only slightly larger that the boneless steaks.
BC mentioned earlier that it's likely do to their genetics.

Were they narrow or fairly wide-ribbed? Do you have live pictures?I've added pics of our typical ribeyes from 900-950 lb live weight steers. Bone in, so slightly different cut. It seems your butcher may be removing quite a bit if your steers are reasonably beefy.

Attachments

• 09F2495B-E60D-4CE1-A8E2-78CB9AAC5474.jpeg
    09F2495B-E60D-4CE1-A8E2-78CB9AAC5474.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 6AAA6989-09F3-49E5-A497-581D99383DBA.jpeg
    6AAA6989-09F3-49E5-A497-581D99383DBA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Well if the weight is correct, that's about 8oz each.
For sure filet size
How big are the filets and strips?

Now I've had a few from the smaller end of the section be smaller of coarse. But that size throughout would for sure concern me something ain't right somewhere.

Be it genetics or poor butchering

Well if the weight is correct, that's about 8oz each.
For sure filet size
How big are the filets and strips?

Now I've had a few from the smaller end of the section be smaller of coarse. But that size throughout would for sure concern me something ain't right somewhere.

Be it genetics or poor butchering
That would make sense but they're all a similar size. Probably a combination of both. I don't mind a modest sized steak and I'm happy with how they finished, marbling looks great but the size was a shocker.

Wonder if the holstein genetics played a part in it. That's very odd to me.

These came from a 1100-1200lb char/angus heifer. Good 16oz each. Granted the bone was left, but I'm talking meat weight.
20221126_142245.jpg20221126_180922.jpg20221126_183713.jpg
Even if they had trimmed em like yours. They are far larger

These are out of a jersey/angus small framed cow. She weighed less than 900lbs. Seem similar in size to yours. Trimmed similar it seems. Shown next to 6 or 8 Oz filets
20221215_183454.jpg

Wonder if the holstein genetics played a part in it. That's very odd to me.

These came from a 1100-1200lb char/angus heifer. Good 16oz each. Granted the bone was left, but I'm talking meat weight.
View attachment 24341View attachment 24342View attachment 24343
Even if they had trimmed em like yours. They are far larger
Ya it's hard to say, all I know is yours look great! The one I sent last year was a charolais steer he was also small framed and dressed out at 540# they didn't look that nice either. There is only one local butcher (within an hour drive)

It wasn't the same butcher as usual, the local place was booked into the spring. I bought them when they were about 600# so the timeline was tight. But even in the past at the local butcher the steaks were all lacking in size. At least I thought so.
The angus cross was cut to have back ribs and boneless rib steaks, yes I agree they are excessively trimmed no fat cap.
The other animal was cut with bone in ribeyes fat cal was also removed, they were only slightly larger that the boneless steaks.
BC mentioned earlier that it's likely do to their genetics.
I used a butcher close to my ranch in SD and unwrapped a "New York" steak to find a piece of meat with part of a knuckle bone attached. They supplied the local restaurant and I order a New York strip and what I got was... not a New York strip. I've also used processors that I KNOW shorted me on weight. On the other hand I've had some processors that really did fantastic work.

I'd recommend Cutting Edge Meat Market in Piedmont, SD to anyone. The best of all I've tried.

I used a butcher close to my ranch in SD and unwrapped a "New York" steak to find a piece of meat with part of a knuckle bone attached. They supplied the local restaurant and I order a New York strip and what I got was... not a New York strip. I've also used processors that I KNOW shorted me on weight. On the other hand I've had some processors that really did fantastic work.

I'd recommend Cutting Edge Meat Market in Piedmont, SD to anyone. The best of all I've tried.
You never know what you're gonna get, sadly. I'd like to find a butcher that's good and trustworthy. I live in Ontario so SD a bit of a haul haha.

Latest posts