Young Calf-Vaccinations?

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
I have read up on cattle diseases but am in need of input.

What type of vacs do I need to get into my bottle calf and at what age intervals. I heard that a "seven way" vac in avilable..what sicknesses does this normaly cover?

Im savvy on horses and my dogs, but calves...no..

She has had nothing..save Colostrum.. :)

she is about a week old. I know Im thinking ahead here, just wanting to know what to expect.

Sounds like there are lots of combo vaccs that cover everything she'll need at the perscribed times. That was my main concern.

What about Tetnus? We do our foals at I think its 3 months???? I cant remember, but its early.

baxter78":36a4qmbf said:
Only time you need to give a tetanus shot would be if you were banding a bull calf.
Not to sound stupid but why? I've never heard of doing that...so please explain. :oops:

I brought back a thread fom a while back on vac and worming . We've argued and re-argued this over and over . You can read the thread and make your own decision . Print it out take it to your vet and discuss it with them .

Larry

Our vet was just out and vaccinated my bottle babies with ViraShield + Sominus, and another vaccination, I will find out what it was. They are baby shots. My girls were about 5 weeks at vaccination. My calves on cows will not be vaccinated till they are 3 months old for sure.

angie":3nfx6kx0 said:
Our vet was just out and vaccinated my bottle babies with ViraShield + Sominus, and another vaccination, I will find out what it was. They are baby shots. My girls were about 5 weeks at vaccination. My calves on cows will not be vaccinated till they are 3 months old for sure.

Thanks Angie
What does that vaccination protect against?

spinandslide -- most areas of the country have the same problems, so it's safe to say that there are some vaccines that are the "norm."

First there's the viral diseases, which I think every area has... don't think any herd (esp if it's an open herd) is exempt. Viral diseases include BVD (types I and II), IBR, BRSV, and PI3. Most of the time the 5 strains of lepto will be included in this vaccination. The vaccine I use for this is Bovi-shield Gold FP 5 VL5. The "5" stands for the 5 viral diseases, the V is for vibrio, which you may or may not need to vaccinate against depending on your area. Vibrio is also an STD so if you're not vaccinating breeding stock I wouldn't worry about it. "L5" stands for the 5 strains of lepto.

Personally I prefer using a modified-live vaccine for the viral diseases as it provides better protection. You can use a killed vaccine if you prefer (that's what Virashield is).

Then there's the bacterial - in this case, clostridium - diseases, such as blackleg, tetanus, redwater, enterotoxemia, etc. This would be your standard "8 way" or "7 way" vaccination. I've never vaccinated for tetanus, but I do vaccinate for redwater. There's 7 common clostridums and then most vaccines will have either tetanus or redwater included. The vaccine I usually use is Ultrabac 8.

milkmaid":qh9jpz07 said:
spinandslide -- most areas of the country have the same problems, so it's safe to say that there are some vaccines that are the "norm."

First there's the viral diseases, which I think every area has... don't think any herd (esp if it's an open herd) is exempt. Viral diseases include BVD (types I and II), IBR, BRSV, and PI3. Most of the time the 5 strains of lepto will be included in this vaccination. The vaccine I use for this is Bovi-shield Gold FP 5 VL5. The "5" stands for the 5 viral diseases, the V is for vibrio, which you may or may not need to vaccinate against depending on your area. Vibrio is also an STD so if you're not vaccinating breeding stock I wouldn't worry about it. "L5" stands for the 5 strains of lepto.

Personally I prefer using a modified-live vaccine for the viral diseases as it provides better protection. You can use a killed vaccine if you prefer (that's what Virashield is).

Then there's the bacterial - in this case, clostridium - diseases, such as blackleg, tetanus, redwater, enterotoxemia, etc. This would be your standard "8 way" or "7 way" vaccination. I've never vaccinated for tetanus, but I do vaccinate for redwater. There's 7 common clostridums and then most vaccines will have either tetanus or redwater included. The vaccine I usually use is Ultrabac 8.

Thanks MM
o, it sounds like this calf will evetually need a "combo" vaccination for both bacterial and viral diseases.

She will be coming up on prob 3weeks here soon..I cant tell..friend I bought her from didnt even really know. Can I do the viral at the same time as the bactieral? Or should I wait til 2-3 months for that?

I'd do both at the same time, and wait until 2-3 months for it. Passive immunity from the dam's colostrum can often interfere with vaccines working properly. You'll also need to repeat the vaccines after about 4 weeks to get maximum protection.

Are you in a brucellosis-free state? some places don't have to vaccinate, but most do. I usually have my heifers done around 4-6 months of age.

milkmaid":3kxmu6sl said:
I'd do both at the same time, and wait until 2-3 months for it. Passive immunity from the dam's colostrum can often interfere with vaccines working properly. You'll also need to repeat the vaccines after about 4 weeks to get maximum protection.

Are you in a brucellosis-free state? some places don't have to vaccinate, but most do. I usually have my heifers done around 4-6 months of age.

OK, that works. With our horses we wait abit as well, for the same reason, but again, I am not 100% familar with bovine body workings...:)

Im not sure about Brucellosis..but Id rather be safe..

Check with your vet on brucellosis then. Here's a bangs tag (orange clip always in the right ear)... look familiar? does Jam have one?

milkmaid":1l257g49 said:
Check with your vet on brucellosis then. Here's a bangs tag (orange clip always in the right ear)... look familiar? does Jam have one?
no I dont think she does...But Texas always seems to have "stuff" floating around, so Im surprised we arent a Brucellosis area..Ill call my vet and double check, cause if we are, Jam will need to be done as well and Ill do that when I preg check her.

spinandslide":3g97ti0p said:
milkmaid":3g97ti0p said:
no I dont think she does...But Texas always seems to have "stuff" floating around, so Im surprised we arent a Brucellosis area..Ill call my vet and double check, cause if we are, Jam will need to be done as well and Ill do that when I preg check her.

I believe Texas is now certified brucellosis free state. Check her right ear anyway for a hole (where the clip use to be) and a tattoo in the right ear. They often lose the orange clip. Since she's black you'll have to shine a flashlight on the backside of the ear to illuminate the tattoo or you won't be able to see it.

Well I was about to respond... but it looks like TB just said everything I was going to and better as well. :p ;-)

TexasBred":2pgkrf6x said:
spinandslide":2pgkrf6x said:
milkmaid":2pgkrf6x said:

I believe Texas is now certified brucellosis free state. Check her right ear anyway for a hole (where the clip use to be) and a tattoo in the right ear. They often lose the orange clip. Since she's black you'll have to shine a flashlight on the backside of the ear to illuminate the tattoo or you won't be able to see it.
ah, thanks Richard and Milkmaid for all the information! I feel informed now!
so, since its Brucellosis free, there is no need to worry about vaccinating Jewel, the Calf?
Il see if Jam will let me see her ear, Ive been put on the "list" since I had to spray her down because of the flys the other day and Im not sure if Ive been forgiven yet. :)

Latest posts