Yankee or Dixie

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama":3quqxogr said:
I dont really see how the war between the states got thrown in here. I have traveled all over the U.S. I have meet some interesting people, both sides of the mason dixon line. I'm sure they thought the same of me. I was once in Windsor Canada. A young girl ask me where I was from. I told her Alabama. She said ICOMBACANASKI. Talking about really confussing a dumb ole country boy, I had no idea what she had said. After a little while she came back and ask me about living in Al. What she had said was "I'll come back and ask you." I love to hear the differants accents of people around the U.S. I have found that it ain't really much differance between Rebels and Yankies. But its a big differance between city folk and country folk wherever you go. I have been on farms in the north where we had to break the language barrier. They say carry I say tote. They say ouuut I say out. They say caaw I say coow. Neither of us cared how the other pronounce it as long as we could understand each other. I eat my gravey on a biscuit they eat it on french fries. Who cares, just don't touch my grits or cornbread.

Bama....please accept my apologies for sounding so darned testy in my last posting.....really no excuse on my behalf and very unlike me!! if my mama were still here, she'd slap me up for being so rude! :oops: i married a wonderful man born and raised here in montana and he scored over 85% dixie!! sorta made his day, actually ;-) anyway, off to work!! take care and forgive me!

People from the North and South do have different accents. I watched an educational program one night on PBS about how it came about. Different countries landed in different parts of the United States and of course, the speech was totally different. So the speech patterns and accents came from these groups. I guess each country was proud of their own and they could recognize where they were from later by the chopped up English. Seems the South is mostly influenced by the Irish. I forgot what speech they said influenced people from the North. They illustrated with speech from Ireland and Southern speech and how it transformed. It was very interesting and would like to see it again. As I always say, we just repeat what parents said, grandparents, etc..... Southern people talk slower, Northern people faster, different accents. I guess it is much like schools, no matter what, each town seperated, made teams and went against each other. Just a human nature thing. I find us all the same on intelligence, stupidity etc..... We just all go about expressing it differently. :D

Ranchwife, no apologies necessary. I didn't take offence to your post. I am an easy guy to get along with. I rarely ever get upset. I think a person should say whats on their mind. People from differant areas express themselves differantly. I was once passing through Wisdom Montana going to Idaho for a elk hunt. I stopped at a little mom and pop store for gas. I wound up talking to them for and hour. They were really nice folks. Western Montana has some of the prettiest views I have ever saw. I guess your wandering what is the prettiest. It is a canyon on the Salman river in Idaho. I had riden my horse several miles in to the wilderness and came upon the place. I didn't have a camera that day. From that day forward I always carry a camera while hunting. You mentioned Florada did not suit your fancy. Florada is the southern most northern state. A lot of folks retire from up north and move there for the nice weather. Florada has a lot of differant cultures. Way down in the keys there is a lot of cuban influence, Miami and Fort Lauderdale is mixed with Cuban and Mexican, farther north is a melting pot of many differant cultures. Florada has something for everone, you just have to know where to go.

Chuckie":1fvc6r1z said:
People from the North and South do have different accents. I watched an educational program one night on PBS about how it came about. Different countries landed in different parts of the United States and of course, the speech was totally different. So the speech patterns and accents came from these groups. I guess each country was proud of their own and they could recognize where they were from later by the chopped up English. Seems the South is mostly influenced by the Irish. I forgot what speech they said influenced people from the North. They illustrated with speech from Ireland and Southern speech and how it transformed. It was very interesting and would like to see it again. As I always say, we just repeat what parents said, grandparents, etc..... Southern people talk slower, Northern people faster, different accents. I guess it is much like schools, no matter what, each town seperated, made teams and went against each other. Just a human nature thing. I find us all the same on intelligence, stupidity etc..... We just all go about expressing it differently. :D

In the Mid-South, from Tennessee to the Carolinas, most of our predecessors came from England, and settled in Virginia. My family has been here in TN. for 250 yrs.Most folks that are native to this area are of English descent.And lots of us have Cherokee in our bloodlines.Something that was not discussed many years ago bout' the Indian blood. I'm proud of it! ;-)
Be proud wherever you come from or live, we're all Americans.

You mentioned Florada did not suit your fancy. Florada is the southern most northern state. A lot of folks retire from up north and move there for the nice weather. Florada has a lot of differant cultures. Way down in the keys there is a lot of cuban influence, Miami and Fort Lauderdale is mixed with Cuban and Mexican, farther north is a melting pot of many differant cultures. Florada has something for everone, you just have to know where to go.

You pretty much summed it up the way I would, except for the spelling of Florida.

ranchwife":1zrk4ust said:
Bama":1zrk4ust said:
I dont really see how the war between the states got thrown in here. I have traveled all over the U.S. I have meet some interesting people, both sides of the mason dixon line. I'm sure they thought the same of me. I was once in Windsor Canada. A young girl ask me where I was from. I told her Alabama. She said ICOMBACANASKI. Talking about really confussing a dumb ole country boy, I had no idea what she had said. After a little while she came back and ask me about living in Al. What she had said was "I'll come back and ask you." I love to hear the differants accents of people around the U.S. I have found that it ain't really much differance between Rebels and Yankies. But its a big differance between city folk and country folk wherever you go. I have been on farms in the north where we had to break the language barrier. They say carry I say tote. They say ouuut I say out. They say caaw I say coow. Neither of us cared how the other pronounce it as long as we could understand each other. I eat my gravey on a biscuit they eat it on french fries. Who cares, just don't touch my grits or cornbread.

Bama....please accept my apologies for sounding so darned testy in my last posting.....really no excuse on my behalf and very unlike me!! if my mama were still here, she'd slap me up for being so rude! :oops: i married a wonderful man born and raised here in montana and he scored over 85% dixie!! sorta made his day, actually ;-) anyway, off to work!! take care and forgive me!

That was the war of Northern Aggression if your of Southern heritage.

I spelled it like I say it. I'm bad at doing that.

I say flar a da
insted of flur i da

I'm getting better, my grammer used to be really bad. I do several classes on various things from time to time so I had to improve a little. The plant I work has a lot of people that have transfered from other locations. I have picked up some of their pronounciation also.

Campground Cattle":30gfcnws said:
ranchwife":30gfcnws said:
Bama":30gfcnws said:

That was the war of Northern Aggression if your of Southern heritage.

Or as I refer to it, "The War for Southern Independence".

~~

46% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I have alot of Southern influence in my life ( grits & dogs... ) :D

Latest posts