Yankee or Dixie

Help Support CattleToday:

eric":2u3nfzl9 said:
I just always (and still do) just refer to them as "cokes",

I drink gallons of "coke" but now a call it Coca Cola.

dun

the test was entertaining.....but not nearly as entertaining as some of the responses it has elicited from the viewers here on cattletoday!! good lord, folks....the civil war has been over for 140 years....get a grip!!!! i had the chance to live in florida when i was 11 years old and because i was not "blessed" with an accent, i was called all sorts of horrible names and tormented unmercifully for the year i was there :cry: :cry: !! "Damned yankees"???? whatever.... :roll: :roll:
i have scores of papers and letters and pictures of family members of mine who were born and raised in the hills of tennessee....and fought and died for the north!
the war is over, folks......let's move on and become one nation, again!!!

entertaining!~YES!

sorry for the pain of childhood. I won't fault you for bieng a damnyankee! I may tease you, but I assure you it is only 99%jest! Truce?
:D

I dont really see how the war between the states got thrown in here. I have traveled all over the U.S. I have meet some interesting people, both sides of the mason dixon line. I'm sure they thought the same of me. I was once in Windsor Canada. A young girl ask me where I was from. I told her Alabama. She said ICOMBACANASKI. Talking about really confussing a dumb ole country boy, I had no idea what she had said. After a little while she came back and ask me about living in Al. What she had said was "I'll come back and ask you." I love to hear the differants accents of people around the U.S. I have found that it ain't really much differance between Rebels and Yankies. But its a big differance between city folk and country folk wherever you go. I have been on farms in the north where we had to break the language barrier. They say carry I say tote. They say ouuut I say out. They say caaw I say coow. Neither of us cared how the other pronounce it as long as we could understand each other. I eat my gravey on a biscuit they eat it on french fries. Who cares, just don't touch my grits or cornbread.

Yall' know the differences inYankees? A Yankee is a visitor in the South, From the North. A Damn Yankee moves to the South and stays...

Forgot one more thing: Buys 5 acres and a 1969 singlewide, changes his name to Ben Cartwright, and labels himself a "rancher" with 5 head of brush goats.And a sheep or two. His tractor is usually at least 75 HP and is 4-wheel drive.

Need to clarify that not all people that move here from the north are damnyankees, has more to do with attitude.

BullLady is not a damnyankee.

Bama, you brought to mind when I used to be a long haul trucker, and more than once or twice, I would go to a lunch counter and order a Coca-Cola with my food, and be served hot cocoa. I pronounce Coca-Cola as Cokola. Now I'm going to shut up before I make some Yankee's mad.

Totally off here, but my grandmother is foreign and came to stay with us when I was around 5. She made me call the operator to find out if they sold stamps at the "PASTA FEAST" I was 5 or so, so i did good to call and articulate this much, so I thought. After about 5 tries, she and i became equally frustrated! Then~it dawned on me that the PASTA FEAST was grandma-ese (heavy italian) for post office (duh!)

Some questions I had 2 answers for so I ran the test twice. 1st time I got 57% dixie - just barely dixie. 2nd time I got 43% yankee - just barely yankee. So now I ask you - what does this make me?

Some questions I had 2 answers for so I ran the test twice. 1st time I got 57% dixie - just barely dixie. 2nd time I got 43% yankee - just barely yankee. So now I ask you - what does this make me

People from Iowa actually articulate their words correctly. Folks from the midwest talk like the rest of us should. If you don't believe me just listen to a newscaster sometime. They all strive to get the midwestern pronounciation of their words. Its the rest of us that have a accent.

cherokeeruby":1qr1mzfo said:
Need to clarify that not all people that move here from the north are damnyankees, has more to do with attitude.

BullLady is not a damnyankee.
Exactly right Cherrokeeruby. It is attitude and willingness to learn.
BullLady's ears are certainly southern.
:oops: I was meaning the ears on her cattle of course.

wow folks!! :eek: i had no idea what this post would do to ppl. lol. i thought the cola one should have had one more option linking soda and pop together. sometimes i call it soda and sometimes i call it pop. the only thing i call a cola is pepsi, coke, rc cola. the darker soda pops. and like i said before, i've never crossed the mason dixon line and i have no idea where it is.

i say tomato you say toemaatoe (okay, gross exaggeration, but i couldn't think of any other way to spell it like its supposed to sound.)

Farmhand":yl7iqp0a said:
Some questions I had 2 answers for so I ran the test twice. 1st time I got 57% dixie - just barely dixie. 2nd time I got 43% yankee - just barely yankee. So now I ask you - what does this make me?

Last time I checked 57% plus 43% equaled 100%

cherokeeruby":2lqvm3pj said:
Farmhand":2lqvm3pj said:

Last time I checked 57% plus 43% equaled 100%
Cherokeeruby, does caustic know you're a mathematical genious as well? I admire your observation skills.

Latest posts