House roofs, metal or shingle?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have hail damaged shingle roof for the second time in 8 years. I see a lot of people go to metal. If it makes any difference it is a manufactured home. What are pros and cons of each?

tom4018 said:
I have hail damaged shingle roof for the second time in 8 years. I see a lot of people go to metal. If it makes any difference it is a manufactured home. What are pros and cons of each?

If you decide to go metal get 26 gauge as it will hold up better to hail. The 26 gauge is rated for 40 years compared to the 29 gauge 30 years. From my understanding if you put felt under over shingles the metal manufacturers will warranty it. Mine has been this way for 8 years with very little fade and held up good. I like hearing the rain falling on it.

All a matter of opinion. Me I'll never go metal if I gotta climb up on my roof to strip shingles and lay new ones down so be it. In my opinion and just mine I don't think metal on houses has been around long enough to know for sure how they will last. You see rusted metal roofs on old pole barns just makes u wonder if that'll be your house in 20 years ya know? Also I worry what happens to that rubber gasket on the screws in the sun there bound to dry rot out. Just my two cents is all

I painted an old dairy barn metal roof today that I know is over a half century old and it is still solid. It did have some surface rust, but that made it hold paint better.

Had same situation about 5-6 years ago and put 26ga low profile painted over existing shingles with tarpaper in between. No fade yet and it really helped reduce road noise.

I put 26ga high profile Ag galvalume panels on new construction house 3 years ago. They recommended using the self sealing ice dam for entire underlayment and that's what we did. I absolutely love the look. Both of these houses have had small amount of walnut size hail with no damage yet. About the same as what destroyed the new 40 year architectural shingle on first house.

Metal shingles and panels have been around a long, long time and proven beyond doubt. The sealing screw gromets are not the old rubber junk that would rot out. My cattle barn has metal panels that are getting close 70 years old - probably going to replace in a few more years...

There are a few cons - metal is slick in comparison to shingles, can be harder to find installers, doesn't patch very well and pipe protrusions require a little more care to seal up right. Worth a call to your insurance agent to hear their take on your local area.

Your fade issues with metal really will be dependent on the manufacturer. Just make sure you are buying from a good quality mfg. The stuff from China will fade within a year or two.
Also, metal will last a lot longer, but it is also more expensive.

sstterry said:
Your fade issues with metal really will be dependent on the manufacturer. Just make sure you are buying from a good quality mfg. The stuff from China will fade within a year or two.

Everything I have built in the last 30 years has been metal. In hurricane Ike had a small tornado come through and launched something. You can see the damaged piece replaced. It wasn't leaking. Today you can get the standing rib that has no exposed screws.

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:

Everything I have built in the last 30 years has been metal. In hurricane Ike had a small tornado come through and launched something. You can see the damaged piece replaced. It wasn't leaking. Today you can get the standing rib that has no exposed screws.

Nice place CB.....that yard looks like it has been manicured.

They actually have new screws that completely cover the gasket s nothing is exposed to the sunlight. I would never put shingles on a place again. Put metal on last year..

I went metal about 9 years ago and love it. I went ahead and spent another grand on a radiant barrier and that has helped out quite a bit on the electric bill in the summer. Insurance companies will no longer pay off for cosmetic damage but will if there's penetration. We went with white because of the house color and I've had the roof pressure washed once. If I needed a new roof tomorrow I'd go back with metal.

sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
Thanks.

My wife has had the same yard man for almost 47 years.

I hope she treats and feeds him well!
Now if she could just find someone that can trap a hog! :lol: :lol:
That hogs days are number after CB dug that corn hole. I believe CB is just a little smarter.

jltrent said:
sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
Thanks.

My wife has had the same yard man for almost 47 years.

I hope she treats and feeds him well!
Now if she could just find someone that can trap a hog! :lol: :lol:
That hogs days are number after CB dug that corn hole. I believe CB is just a little smarter.

I trap 80 to 100 a year normally.
I am taking odds on this boy so far I am failing the IQ test. That boar is infatuated with that hole, I catch him on camera quite often. He breaks for cut over thicket at any sounds or smells. I freely admit this is the toughest one I have been after in a while. He reminds me of this one he was tough as well.
Pic is with my trapping partner that had passed.

That looks like a big boar. The few around here that I have seen are short hair and not that big.

I enlarged the picture to the max. That is a big hog and he was in good shape too. I bet he could tear up some country.

Hoss might have been feeding him for a while, fattening him up for the kill.

jltrent said:
I enlarged the picture to the max. That is a big hog and he was in good shape too. I bet he could tear up some country.

One I am after now is just as big.
They don't get that big being stupid.
These were both big boys as well that are no longer with us.
The one standing tearing the thrower off the feeder was at my neighbors.

This is the one I am after right now.

That one looks like a tough out. You can just look at him and see he is hesitant and smart. After he gets his belly full a few times he will make a mistake.

0790-CAEE-D5-AB-44-B8-9279-029-F7-E5-FD974.jpg

Latest posts