Write this down

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I just missed a 300+ big boar, looked out the front door enjoying the rain and there he was, looked like a D-9 Cat was working a couple hundred yards out in the pasture.

I hate hogs.

Caustic Burno":2qqawgve said:
I just missed a 300+ big boar, looked out the front door enjoying the rain and there he was, looked like a D-9 Cat was working a couple hundred yards out in the pasture.

I hate hogs.

I don't envy you a bit for having all those buggers. Caustic.

Bad part of it is...........they will probably only multiply.

Some of my buddies about 15 miles away close to the river are eat up with those scoundrels. They cannot even bush hog the pastures for the holes. :mad:

Get out the traps.........

Caustic Burno":2njgfg42 said:
I just missed a 300+ big boar.

I hate hogs.

Since you missed, did that big idiot damage your fences? That is the problem when you get into a bunch of them. They all bust and hit the fence at the same time. If I saw a solo boar, I'd take a shot.

backhoeboogie":iv3rmzbu said:
Caustic Burno":iv3rmzbu said:

I hate hogs.

Since you missed, did that big idiot damage your fences? That is the problem when you get into a bunch of them. They all bust and hit the fence at the same time. If I saw a solo boar, I'd take a shot.

Haven't went and looked scared to. He was along the stretch I just finished fixing. Thats what I get for grabing that dang 22-250 out of the cabinet. If I would have grabbed what I should have the old 45-70 he be laying there. Pop up that tang put it on a couple of hundred and he would have fell like he was hit with a semi.

Caustic Burno":375drmhj said:
backhoeboogie":375drmhj said:
Caustic Burno":375drmhj said:

I hate hogs.

Haven't went and looked scared to. He was along the stretch I just finished fixing. Thats what I get for grabing that dang 22-250 out of the cabinet. If I would have grabbed what I should have the old 45-70 he be laying there. Pop up that tang put it on a couple of hundred and he would have fell like he was hit with a semi.

Get an elephant gun. No need to worry about tearing up meat at this point. If you can only salvage one hind quarter, just kill a dozen.

I can't quit thinking about that pic from George's Creek that had 160 verifiable hogs in it. No telling how many piglets were there and couldn't be seen in the underbrush. If only 50 of those were reproducing sows, the herd must be up to 2,000 or better by now.

backhoeboogie":rkz7xg9d said:
Caustic Burno":rkz7xg9d said:
backhoeboogie":rkz7xg9d said:
Caustic Burno":rkz7xg9d said:

I hate hogs.

Get an elephant gun. No need to worry about tearing up meat at this point. If you can only salvage one hind quarter, just kill a dozen.

I can't quit thinking about that pic from George's Creek that had 160 verifiable hogs in it. No telling how many piglets were there and couldn't be seen in the underbrush. If only 50 of those were reproducing sows, the herd must be up to 2,000 or better by now.

The big idiot tore the two bottom strands. I found a crimping tool and ferrules in Valley vet a while back. I crimp all the bottom strands now as usually the the splice will give, just pull it back together and recrimp it. It is like haveing breakaway points in the wire keeps them from tearing up so much.
As far as eating them who cares I gut shoot everyone I see most of the big ones not fitting to eat. Now get one about 20 pounds skin him out cut him half and lay him on the pit is fine eating. I have 3 freezers full of PWR,s that weigh 80 to 100 pounds.
Hogs are the plague they eat fawns, turkey egss, quail eggs and even reports of new calfs. They tear up fences pastures they have absolutely no good use.

I saw a new story out of the US on the local news about a supposed world record wild boar. He was shot because he was rooting up a valley, the boar ended up weighing 1100 LBs. But alas when DNA was taken it was determined the boar was a Tammworth X Enlish Black feral domestic. Any way you slice it that is one big pig.

mnmtranching":2p2f7m1f said:
Man CB! get that gun sighted in. Don,t be missing them hogs. :cry:

Gun is sighted in I just don't shoot that little flat shooting bullet much and I over compensated and shot over the hog.
I don't own a scope unless you want to consider a tang and peep one.

Caustic Burno":3cgk64cr said:
mnmtranching":3cgk64cr said:

Gun is sighted in I just don't shoot that little flat shooting bullet much and I over compensated and shot over the hog.

As you know that 22-250 is a fast and accurate, try a light gathering scope on it, zero it at about 300 yards. Have a rest set up , so there's no shake. When you hit a hog in the side with that bullet all you will hear is a keeer-thump. 8) And most likely a lot of hog squealing. :shock: :lol:

mnmtranching":3e0nf3nz said:
Caustic Burno":3e0nf3nz said:
mnmtranching":3e0nf3nz said:

As you know that 22-250 is a fast and accurate, try a light gathering scope on it, zero it at about 300 yards. Have a rest set up , so there's no shake. When you hit a hog in the side with that bullet all you will hear is a keeer-thump. 8) And most likely a lot of hog squealing. :shock: :lol:

Bullet type is of MOST importance when shooting hogs with a 22-250. A "Ballistic Tip" varmint bullet will open up too fast because of the velocity at short distances. I have seen them hit that "Shield" found underneath a hogs skin and go in only about 2 inches.

Try a "Partition" type bullet. It'll get in the boiler room and do some damage!

Have seen some of the bigger caliber projectiles punch into a hog and go clear through without ever opening up mostly due to the slow speed and hardiness of the bullets offered.

P.O. Ackley did extensive research shooting hogs and goats to find the velocity and bullet size optimum for medium sized game.

He found the faster, lighter bullets did more internal damage in general.

A controlled expansion bullet is needed for hogs.

mnmtranching":3cjnbqjh said:
Caustic Burno":3cjnbqjh said:
mnmtranching":3cjnbqjh said:

I don't shoot scopes end of story. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a scope. Give me a Verneer Tang and a peep and its dead.

Caustic Burno":2p27vocz said:
mnmtranching":2p27vocz said:
Caustic Burno":2p27vocz said:
mnmtranching":2p27vocz said:

I don't shoot scopes end of story. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a scope. Give me a Verneer Tang and a peep and its dead.

CB Just trying to help, Don't be missing them hogs. Good Luck. :)

mnmtranching":bfnyqkrl said:
Caustic Burno":bfnyqkrl said:
Caustic Burno":bfnyqkrl said:

CB Just trying to help, Don't be missing them hogs. Good Luck. :)

I know you were I just can't shoot a scope I can see my self moving so I hold my breath and dang near suufocate. The steadier I try to hold it the worse it gets. I am an instictive shooter.

Caustic Burno":1tqkt9jj said:
I know you were I just can't shoot a scope I can see my self moving so I hold my breath and dang near suufocate. The steadier I try to hold it the worse it gets. I am an instictive shooter.

I totally agree. My problem has become my eye sight. I cannot see the back sight. There was a time I could line up top to top on the bottom of a target at 150 yards and keep a tighter pattern than most others could with a scope. Plus you had a full field of vision the entire time. No more. My eyes starting getting worse and worse.

The thing I hate the worse about a scope is finding things. I have practiced and practiced throwing the gun up on an object and trying to get it immediately into the scope but I am simply no good at it. Perhaps if I had grown up with a scope. I shot iron sights for well over 30 years and rarely missed anything. Now I miss getting the shot because I have no field of vision in the scope when it is pointed in the brush.

I shot a boar hog about 150lbs with a Rem 8mm mag 200something grain right behind the shoulder at 50 yards.It knocked him flat on the ground but never exit.Found it mushroomed in the fat on other side.Ended up feeding him as BBQ to my dogs.Was also hunting out in the thick woods kept hearing something,thought it was a cow having trouble calving.
I found my self right in the middle of a bunch of wild hogs.With a big sow and piglets looking at me.I stood still like a tree.A big boar pass by me within 40ft.He was so old he was gray with long tusk,guess about 300 to 400 pounds if not more.
Talk about looking for a tree to climb.They all ran off when I shot one about 70lbs.Ended up feeding him to the dogs too.
Now my mom's farm, the pasture is being plowed up by them.
Hard to shred the weeds.No use for those wild hogs.

Hogs I hate them thats why I am up this time of the morning. Heard ole Rube raising cane got up yard was full of the dang things. Last couple of times I went to mow I have had to come in with a couple buckets of dirt to fill holes in the yard.
That Remington Model 11 got hot when I got up it was loaded to the gills with No.1 buckshot.

Caustic Burno":2r9i85sm said:
Hogs I hate them thats why I am up this time of the morning. Heard ole Rube raising cane got up yard was full of the dang things. Last couple of times I went to mow I have had to come in with a couple buckets of dirt to fill holes in the yard.
That Remington Model 11 got hot when I got up it was loaded to the gills with No.1 buckshot.

Sounds like you need to hing to the Mrs. about getting you some night vision goggles for Fathers Day and possibly a belt fed weapon. :lol:

Latest posts