One down

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Son's hunting and business partner drew a deer tag here. He got a nice 3x4 buck about 24-25 wide. A nice buck but not a big one by the standards here. Kind of a rugged piece of ground to get a deer out of. They had to drag it down the hill. It wasn't that far from the pick up but darn near vertical back up the hill to the rig. Took 2 young strong men 2 hours and 45 minutes to drag it down the hill. They said at one point the deer went 150 yards down the hill on its own. They got a hold of me to bring a couple quads To the nearest point one can drive to. Kind of a steep spooky trail in the day light. Real spooky driving there in the dark. But they got him to the quad a little before 9:00.
Shot it near the top of that brushy draw left of center in the picture. Had to bring him down to what is about the tree top level in the bottom of the picture.

P7041109.JPG

Would have been easier to quarter a deer and pack it out. A frame pack is good to have in rough country. I have had to backpack every elk I ever shot at least a half mile.

Would have been easier to quarter a deer and pack it out. A frame pack is good to have in rough country. I have had to backpack every elk I ever shot at least a half mile.
Yep. Its a heck of a lot easier to cut it up in place and just pack out what you need. I've used trash bags and rope under the knots. It's ok for small deer and hogs.

Son said the deer was a ways down in there where it died. He had been up and down there hunting but there is a big difference between walking slowly packing your rifle and dragging a 200+ pound deer in the dark. With 20/20 hind sight it might have been better to pack it up the hill. But it was a close call. A lot of that place you can be standing up right and reach to your side and touch the hill.
I have packed a lot of elk quarters a long ways on a pack board. So has my son. We do know how to do that.

Son's hunting and business partner drew a deer tag here. He got a nice 3x4 buck about 24-25 wide. A nice buck but not a big one by the standards here. Kind of a rugged piece of ground to get a deer out of. They had to drag it down the hill. It wasn't that far from the pick up but darn near vertical back up the hill to the rig. Took 2 young strong men 2 hours and 45 minutes to drag it down the hill. They said at one point the deer went 150 yards down the hill on its own. They got a hold of me to bring a couple quads To the nearest point one can drive to. Kind of a steep spooky trail in the day light. Real spooky driving there in the dark. But they got him to the quad a little before 9:00.
Shot it near the top of that brushy draw left of center in the picture. Had to bring him down to what is about the tree top level in the bottom of the picture.

View attachment 35913
Better man than me.
I'm to the point if I can't get a tractor or Polaris to it, it's safe.

I hated it when Colorado had the three point or better on one side rule. It was really hard to tell if you were seeing three points on one side or it was a point that was showing through from the other side. I am sure I let several legal bucks go by just because I couldn't tell. I am equally sure there lots of bucks that were left to rot because some hunter thought he seen three points on one side. Colorado only did that for about three years before changing.

I hated it when Colorado had the three point or better on one side rule. It was really hard to tell if you were seeing three points on one side or it was a point that was showing through from the other side. I am sure I let several legal bucks go by just because I couldn't tell. I am equally sure there lots of bucks that were left to rot because some hunter thought he seen three points on one side. Colorado only did that for about three years before changing.
I never been hunting in Colorado, but just about everybody I know has seen someone shoot an illegal buck and leave it laying or found an illegal buck someone has shot and left.

I never been hunting in Colorado, but just about everybody I know has seen someone shoot an illegal buck and leave it laying or found an illegal buck someone has shot and left.
Years ago I heard that some big wig from Dupont, well I think it was Dupont shot a bull elk in Colorado; he then seen a bigger one and shot it, and left the smaller one lay. He got caught.

Years ago dad was hunt near Pinedale with a friend of his. They were hunting for a cow elk, he seen one and shot it, and then the it looked like it got back up so he shot again. When he got over then he had two laying there right next to each other.

Years ago I heard that some big wig from Dupont, well I think it was Dupont shot a bull elk in Colorado; he then seen a bigger one and shot it, and left the smaller one lay. He got caught.

Years ago dad was hunt near Pinedale with a friend of his. They were hunting for a cow elk, he seen one and shot it, and then the it looked like it got back up so he shot again. When he got over then he had two laying there right next to each other.

My old neighbor in Washington had a 5 point bull stand up in front of him. He shot, it dropped and then stood back up. He shot it again. Walked up there and had 2 bulls laying side by side. Good thing in Washington it is an over the counter tag and he shot them in the timber a long ways from the road. He went and found a friend with a tag and they packed them out.

I have always had a real negative opinion of people that claim to have "accidentally shot two elk", till it happened to me. 🤷‍♀️ :)
Now I'm a believer.

I have always had a real negative opinion of people that claim to have "accidentally shot two elk", till it happened to me. 🤷‍♀️ :)
It does sometime happen. When it happened to dad the first one fell back out of sight, and the second came up in virtually the same place. Nothing went to waist because dads buddy had a cow tag as well. What I hate when someone knowingly does it.

Latest posts