Would You Cull Any of These?

Help Support CattleToday:

GotMyHandsFull

Reaction score
A few weeks back, I mentioned in another thread I had inherited 45 cows and a registered bull from my uncle. He kept meticulous birth and shot records, but I don't know the ages of the cows. Anyway, calves have started dropping and here's the interval period between when they had their current calf and their last one. I've included those who are well within normal gestation, but there are a couple I could use advice on. The bull has been with the cows year-round and is seven years old.

Cow 1: 10 months, 15 days
Cow 2: 13 months, 21 days
Cow 3: 13 months, 2 days
Cow 4: 12 months, 16 days
Cow 5: 12 months, 8 days
Cow 6: 12 months, 2 days
Cow 7: 11 months, 17 days
Cow 8: 11 months, 3 days
Cow 9: 10 months, 25 days
Cow 10: 11 months, 14 days

I probably wouldn't cull any of those strictly on one calving interval. The ones that took 13 months this time might only take 11 next time. If they go 13 months or longer again I might let them go on down the road.

I would cull them all and ship them to me I will pay u $1000 per pair for them culls! Just kidden I wouldn't cull them.

The only reason I would cull any of them would be condition or too far out of my desired calving window.

If you have the calving records counting the number of calves a cow has had will give you a fairly good guess at how old they are. Number two and three could tighten up a little.

Would like to see the whole calving records on all of them. Even the short calving interval cows may have a very different history.... Now if these were averages then that tells a different story. A whole lot of other information is needed to make an informed decision...I'll just say that several cows I had targeted last May to sell when their calves came off has gotten a reprieve because of the current market and rainfall situation.

I agree with the consensus. Do you need to cull? That changes things.

For the ones you're not sure on age, get them in a chute and check their teeth. If their teeth are decent and they are calving on schedule, age is no concern.

There's way too much other criteria for culling, does she raise a good calf?, does she breed back? (by your calculations I wouls say yes), does she hold her condition raising a calf? Does she calve easily?. Then you get into other culling factors which is basically how much of a pain in the behind is she? Fence jumper, fence buster, bully, temperament or just plain crazy. By your figures I would say keep them all and get to know your herd ...... Oh another reason to cull is market value.

Alan":3iarx78f said:
There's way too much other criteria for culling, does she raise a good calf?, does she breed back? (by your calculations I wouls say yes), does she hold her condition raising a calf? Does she calve easily?. Then you get into other culling factors which is basically how much of a pain in the behind is she? Fence jumper, fence buster, bully, temperament or just plain crazy. By your figures I would say keep them all and get to know your herd ...... Oh another reason to cull is market value.

Market value is not a reason for culling. It might be a factor as to what time or condition to cull a certain animal (harvest it). It hardly plays in to whether at all to keep or culll that cow.
Apart from this, Alan says it well.

TennesseeTuxedo":1fst7fp5 said:
branguscowgirl":1fst7fp5 said:
One 7 year old bull with 45 cows could cause the spread in calving interval, don't you think?

excellent point BCG

Buy 2 bulls!
If a 7 year old bull can't handle 45 cows in a timely manner you need to buy your bulls somewhere else. Heck a 3 year old better be able to do it. Looks to be a fairly tight group for bull being in year round.

Till-Hill":307hd2xd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":307hd2xd said:
branguscowgirl":307hd2xd said:
One 7 year old bull with 45 cows could cause the spread in calving interval, don't you think?

excellent point BCG

Buy 2 bulls!
If a 7 year old bull can't handle 45 cows in a timely manner you need to buy your bulls somewhere else. Heck a 3 year old better be able to do it. Looks to be a fairly tight group for bull being in year round.
I AI and do not usually run a bull. So I am by no means an expert.
However I have heard it mentioned here that "50 cows are too much for one bull" and that "a bull could get lazy". So I would not be too quick to judge the cows. :2cents:

I'm also not an expert but from what little I know I would have said 50 cows are two much for one bull if all are calving at the same time during the year. Spread out over the whole year 50 cows wouldn't be that big a work load for one bull. How far off am I?

Toad":3kl1xm7b said:
I'm also not an expert but from what little I know I would have said 50 cows are two much for one bull if all are calving at the same time during the year. Spread out over the whole year 50 cows wouldn't be that big a work load for one bull. How far off am I?

You're not off. If he is calving year round. We don't really know. The bull is said to be in year round but they cows may not be calving year round. Sounds as tho there was a season or spring surge etc.

Latest posts