Would You Cull Any of These?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":1ruax94r said:
Toad":1ruax94r said:
I'm also not an expert but from what little I know I would have said 50 cows are two much for one bull if all are calving at the same time during the year. Spread out over the whole year 50 cows wouldn't be that big a work load for one bull. How far off am I?

You're not off. If he is calving year round. We don't really know. The bull is said to be in year round but they cows may not be calving year round. Sounds as tho there was a season or spring surge etc.
It sounds like the OP is judging a specific window of time to me. But IDK

branguscowgirl":ezw25bkq said:
One 7 year old bull with 45 cows could cause the spread in calving interval, don't you think?

Could be a big reason, if most are cycling around the same time. If spread throughout the year, probably not. I don't care for the year round deal, but some prefer it, so to each his/her own.

That's how I took it originally too. But there's 45 head. He noted the 10 that have calved, with variances. I calve year round. Pull my bulls and one of my 7 neighbor's bull will come thru the fence. Or over. Year round works fine for me.

Even if you have all cows to calve in six weeks, a grown bull can settle them in time. All year calving is very easy for him. I said it once before but no harm in repeating the truth.

If you overwork the bull, and then cull cows that don't settle on time, you might be culling cows that are just fine.. Like for us when we were culling a lot of open cows, and then I found out we're drastically low on some critical minerals.. we may have gotten rid of some of the best producing cows when it wasn't their fault. Keeping replacements is expensive enough that I don't want to cull for no good reason.

Nesikep":2ofcaw03 said:
If you overwork the bull, and then cull cows that don't settle on time, you might be culling cows that are just fine.. Like for us when we were culling a lot of open cows, and then I found out we're drastically low on some critical minerals.. we may have gotten rid of some of the best producing cows when it wasn't their fault. Keeping replacements is expensive enough that I don't want to cull for no good reason.

Overworking a bull by having him service 45 year round? This is not even overworking in the most extensive range or semidesert conditions.

Thank you everyone for the input. The 10 calving periods I listed in my post are the first 10 calves born this "year." They started arriving on Christmas Day. In looking at the records, last "year" one was born in October, two in November, three in December, 15 in January, nine in February, five in March, five in April, three in May and two in June. I had another born after I posted this morning. For that cow, it had been 11 months, 11 days.

I wouldn't necessarily cull any one of those animals just based on only one year's data, unless I needed to cull.

As far as 1 bull with 45 cows, year round I hardly think that would be a problem. Even in a 60 day breeding season I think 1 mature bull shouldn't have trouble covering 45 cows.

I would cull the bull and buy younger, fresher, better genetics. His are at least 8 years old or more, counting his gestation. Sounds like the cows are doing well.

I sure dont know the whole situation on these, so not a real comment on these. Everyone seems to think its ok for a cow to take longer than a year to calve running with a bull full time!! not me, id expect them to calve within a year, after the first cycle that gives them at least three more to settle, not very productive for me if they cant do that.

bse":3boeuvoc said:
I sure dont know the whole situation on these, so not a real comment on these. Everyone seems to think its ok for a cow to take longer than a year to calve running with a bull full time!! not me, id expect them to calve within a year, after the first cycle that gives them at least three more to settle, not very productive for me if they cant do that.

he inherited the herd and is trying to get up to speed on what to do. The only history he has is notes on the cows.I feel he can let some things slide until he gets his goals in order as long as there producing at this point he is generating income and can be more specific with his decisions as he becomes more comfortable in the business.

NO! I wouldn't cull them. I might not keep the daughters but if you're already all spread out on your calving window then losing a month or so on a particular cow is not a good enough reason to cull unless you're looking for room for a replacement that you have a reason to believe will do a better job.
Look at it this way, with calf prices being what they are some cows could calve every other year and still be as profitable as a cow that calved every year in a bad market!
Don't get so focused on perfection that you leave money on the table.

bse":y9x6ixmk said:

I agree. The great thing with our operation is that we know if our cows are open because they come in heat and we see them. With AI, we might take two cycles, but rarely three, to get them stuck. This fall group we just finished up, with only one heifer that has came back in after two AI attempts (and I am having an embryo put in her and hope she sticks that).
I do have one cow that will be shipped this year if she does not come around quicker. Her first calf was as a two year old and after several failed AI attempts (and her not coming into heat for 60 days), we took her to a good friend to run her with his bull. She ran several cycles before we picked up up. Had her checked, she stuck just a few days before we picked her up and brought her home. So I kept her, hoping it was because she was two and nursing a calf. Calved her second calf, a year and 6 months AFTER her first calf, but a dandy of a nice heifer calf. Watched her closely, she came in heat for the first time at 90 days post calving! Now, she stuck on her first cycle this time, but 90 days to return to heat is way too long for me (as a nursing 3 year old). So, this year is strike three. She is due the same week as last year, so 12 months later, but I better see a return to heat a lot sooner or she will be next to go. I expect more out of my cows. Had she not caught on her first heat, then she would be behind once again this year!
My recips are the ones that seem super good. My spring group that usually calves in Feb and March all calved in December this year! I have backed them up each year about 45 days, so now they are fall calvers. Once came in yesterday at 39 days post calving, and my vet does not like to put an egg in one unless she is at least 45 days post calving so he is coming out next week to look at her (since I have another recip that was in and will get an egg) and if he thinks she is OK we will put it in.

M5 at the top i said im not commenting on these particular cows, i dont know there situation. In general would you keep a cow that calves at 13 months? In some other post it was about bad advice or whatever, im just putting in here what I think is real world, just couldnt have those type here, but I cull for fertility.

M5farm":b6lfsoov said:
I would look at #3 and if she was bottom of the barrel Maybe. The rest NO! based on calving only.
BSE this is my original reply and it should have been #2 and #3 but I waited to long to edit it. I based it on calving only. I personally think a cow should calve in 12 months. I have one in my herd right now that at 13 months since last calf and heavy now . Last year she calved at 11 months so I have a decision to make on her.

My point was with him being brand new and they are calving he needs to figure out what hes going to do. to jump in a cull cows based on what everyones opinion is could be a bad for the OP. IMO he deserves a grace period and the cows do too.

:lol2:
bse":18svu6f6 said:

I've got a few that are 6,7 and even 8 months ahead, thru years of year round calving. Some may go 13 months one year. Even nearly 14. Then turn around and calve at 11 months for a couple of years.

Then there's number 32. She's calved February 6 the last three calves. Interesting what may happen this year. She's old but her teeth are solid. If she went 16 months she'd still be way ahead of the game.

M5 i know what your saying and not disagreeing with you or anyone else, just saying a cow that goes 13 months is not functional(for me) if you have one that calves at 11 months regular she will have you 2 more calves over her life than the one having them at 13 months, whats that worth? If this person is new and wanting advice thats my 2 cents dont keep a problem.

We run our bulls year round and one of them is with 50 momma cows. He is a young bull and it looks like so far he is getting the work done but we just got him in May so we will know for sure next year how he does. I think you cows are fine and i don't see a reason in culling any of them. Maybe see how # 2 and #3 do on their next calf and unless they just raise humongous calves at weaning I might would cull them if they go 13 months again but you really don't have too. I might would look at culling the bull however. 7 years is pretty old for a bull in my opinion but he still shouldn't have any problems. I would let him breed some of those that just had a calf so you don't over work your new bull right when you get him and replace him around May with a 2 year old virgin bull. 45 cows to one bull shouldn't be a problem if you run him year round with them. Like i said we run ours with 50 momma's he seems to be doing fine. If we start getting to high over 50 that's when I feel like we may start having a problem.
If your bull starts getting thin and poor that means he is being overworked and that's when I would look at adding two bulls to the herd otherwise I wouldn't. Your operation looks to be doing just fine to me.

Latest posts