would you buy it?

Help Support CattleToday:

It's yours, if mine it be one i missed cutting.I wouldn't take that chance.

Just throwing this out there. Every calf crop is supposed to be better than the previous crop. And the calves are supposed to be better than their mothers. And he's not going to see this with that bull. IMO

True Grit Farms":q09fha82 said:
Just throwing this out there. Every calf crop is supposed to be better than the previous crop. And the calves are supposed to be better than their mothers. And he's not going to see this with that bull. IMO

Well said!

dun":3ubl7o8g said:
When talking about a box of crayons that doesn;t just refer to color. Muscle and frame are part of it
Throw a Brahman ear in the woodpile and you will have no uniformity at all.

KR Cattle Co":3na9b76v said:
True Grit Farms":3na9b76v said:

Well said!
+1. Worth repeating!

Without seeing any pics, ect of the calf it is hard for me or anyone to give a fair opinion on the calf. Many are making assumptions. I have no idea how you market your calves or the market preferences if you do sale them. So many are either retaining their calves to feed out themselves or selling directly now. And in those cases color doesn't matter. Quality does. And I have no idea of the quality of this calf. If he is good quality and you like him and he is in your price range I would say give him a chance. I'm keeping a calf off a cow I bought this year to develop. Whether he makes it or not only time will tell. The advantage I have is I know he is out of a good cow something I don't know many times when buying at a sale. Bulls at many of the sales are coming down but many breeders are still asking big bucks. Another reason I'm retaining the calf I raised.

Ken[/quote]
That's exactly where I'm at right now. And I've been looking for a bull for a while. This one is well in my price range and I like the looks of him and his parents. So I'm trying him out. Thanks Ken[/quote] ...... Thats cross breeding. The off spring is ' suppose' to be superior to the parents ,but don't expect him to reproduce himself,..

It depends on how many head your breeding. If it's under 20 head, and there cross bred then I think uniformity is the last thing you need to worry about,or if you calve year around. There going to sell in 2s and 3s anyway. The goal should be a live decent calf as cheaply as possible. If you have more than that buy a good bull, one that's pure bred.

Sounds like a good choice for the freezer. As others have said why risk it when you can buy good pure bred bulls so cheap. At the price I am selling registered bulls I feel like I am giving them away.

wacocowboy":16j97icv said:
Sounds like a good choice for the freezer. As others have said why risk it when you can buy good pure bred bulls so cheap. At the price I am selling registered bulls I feel like I am giving them away.

I have never seen any of your cattle so this isn't aimed at you. I'm speaking of the area where I travel. I thought we would see a decrease in bull prices but for the good quality bulls that will move a herd forward so far I haven't. Priced a yearling this past weekend. Was surprised when they said $5,750. Of course they have some priced at $2,500 they call commercial bulls. Many breeders have these and in years past theses bulls would of been cut. The decrease I've seen so far around here and it is too early to really tell for certain has been in the lower quaility bulls. I was raised to believe to judge a bull on his quality and not what herd he was going into. He is either good or bad.

I hope your market picks up. We all need to make money. But at todays prices it is hard for a commercial breeder to justify over the low 4's for a bull IMO. In closing I will say the lady I help purchased a Balancer(which is a crossbred) and he doing as well as most of the purebred bulls we are using. Again I'm speaking of what I'm seeing in this area.

elkwc":3aep8rzx said:
wacocowboy":3aep8rzx said:

I have never seen any of your cattle so this isn't aimed at you. I'm speaking of the area where I travel. I thought we would see a decrease in bull prices but for the good quality bulls that will move a herd forward so far I haven't. Priced a yearling this past weekend. Was surprised when they said $5,750. Of course they have some priced at $2,500 they call commercial bulls. Many breeders have these and in years past theses bulls would of been cut. The decrease I've seen so far around here and it is too early to really tell for certain has been in the lower quaility bulls. I was raised to believe to judge a bull on his quality and not what herd he was going into. He is either good or bad.

I hope your market picks up. We all need to make money. But at todays prices it is hard for a commercial breeder to justify over the low 4's for a bull IMO. In closing I will say the lady I help purchased a Balancer(which is a crossbred) and he doing as well as most of the purebred bulls we are using. Again I'm speaking of what I'm seeing in this area.

Here recently I saw some good looking registered bulls around 15 months old go for $1650.00. Would be nice if the market picked back up.

wacocowboy":s7pcijgj said:
elkwc":s7pcijgj said:
wacocowboy":s7pcijgj said:

Here recently I saw some good looking registered bulls around 15 months old go for $1650.00. Would be nice if the market picked back up.

That is sure cheaper than I've seen around here so far. Have offered $1,250 for 45 day weaned commercial heifers and been turned down also. Some are still asking in the $1,500-$1,650 range. I agree if they are good bulls it would be nice to see them pick up a little. I feel the prices around here will slowly adjust. There is a bull glut IMO. Like I've said there have been many bulls retained that should of been steers. Many commercial breeders saw the prices and retained bulls also they are selling. The Balancer bull we purchased in one of these. He was the best bull we could find at the time for 4. He is doing as good as those with all of the shiny EPD's. Not going to get in any hurry. Like I've stated on another post I have a nice bull calf I'm letting develop. He can be registered and looks good at this point. But if and when we decide we need another bull the low 4's will be my max for a real good bull.

salebarn junkie":2g16qw89 said:
It depends on how many head your breeding. If it's under 20 head, and there cross bred then I think uniformity is the last thing you need to worry about,or if you calve year around. There going to sell in 2s and 3s anyway. The goal should be a live decent calf as cheaply as possible. If you have more than that buy a good bull, one that's pure bred.
Maybe for 10 or less cows, but most folks I knew preferred use purebred bulls on 20 crossbred cows. It doesn't matter if the cow herd is 20 or 50 cows, the bull is still leaving money on the table.

KR Cattle Co":3809gtpt said:
True Grit Farms":3809gtpt said:

Well said!

Hell, if you were here, I'd sell you a proven reg black bull by the # plus a couple hundred bucks. You could use him a couple yrs, and if market comes back, it'd be free.

I know exactly where he's been and that he's clean---you want to be very careful about that.

your bull is half your herd. most things are not static---get better or worse.

elkwc":2ae6k3my said:
wacocowboy":2ae6k3my said:
elkwc":2ae6k3my said:

That is sure cheaper than I've seen around here so far. Have offered $1,250 for 45 day weaned commercial heifers and been turned down also. Some are still asking in the $1,500-$1,650 range. I agree if they are good bulls it would be nice to see them pick up a little. I feel the prices around here will slowly adjust. There is a bull glut IMO. Like I've said there have been many bulls retained that should of been steers. Many commercial breeders saw the prices and retained bulls also they are selling. The Balancer bull we purchased in one of these. He was the best bull we could find at the time for 4. He is doing as good as those with all of the shiny EPD's. Not going to get in any hurry. Like I've stated on another post I have a nice bull calf I'm letting develop. He can be registered and looks good at this point. But if and when we decide we need another bull the low 4's will be my max for a real good bull.

Wow I saw some nice Brangus type heifers they were asking $1200 and they were bred. Those heifers were on CL for a few weeks so even at that price they didn't move fast.

500lbs @ 7 months.........you buying him for a heifer bull? That's not much of a weaning weight for a 3way cross calf that has already used up all of his heterosis.....I believe I would pass for that and all of the reasons listed above.

FWIW only one of my bulls out of 7 weighed right at 500lbs at 7 months this year and his momma quit milking when he was 4 months old....the rest avgd over 744lbs

That's what BULLS weigh at that age.

Latest posts