would you buy it?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmboy80

Reaction score
Seven month old bull calf. He's lima-flex crossed with brangus. Both parents are black, but he turned up red. Dad throws 60 to 80 pound calves. He weighs close to 500 poundsI'd guess.
Just wanted to know if you'd buy for a bull? Why or why not?

Uniformity as far as color? I just have cross bred cows anyways, I'm not really concerned with color. Just having average weight calves at birth that grow good.

RiverHills":3ifhxhg3 said:
True Grit Farms":3ifhxhg3 said:
No sell here. Because just like the bull calf now his calves will have no uniformity at all.

+1

What's your plan for him before breeding age?
I just plan on raising him with the cows. They are all bred and not due until, 1late march, the others are due end of june.

Not sure what you mean? I'm going to keep him. I have a different pasture I can split him off in if I need to.

A crossbred bull on crossbred cows will have calves that look like a box of crayons. It'll be a guess of who's your daddy. Good bulls are reasonably priced in this poor market, so why not get a good bull instead of just a bull?

True Grit Farms":jis39wwh said:
A crossbred bull on crossbred cows will have calves that look like a box of crayons. It'll be a guess of who's your daddy. Good bulls are reasonably priced in this poor market, so why not get a good bull instead of just a bull?
I thought this cross would be a good one. And this world is made up of different crayons, and everybody likes something different in cattle.
I do understand what you're saying though, but I thought I'd give this cross a chance. At least see what "Crayons " I come up with.

Thanks. I asked for opinions and thats what I got. Everyone sees things differently. That's what makes America great! We can all have and voice our opinion.

Don't ask if you don't wanna know right? Lol You can have the best red calf that walks but it still won't be certified Angus beef, hence the price deductions.

A crossbred bull in a rainbow herd equals a rainbow crop of mismatched calves. I would just pass on him but it's just me

When talking about a box of crayons that doesn;t just refer to color. Muscle and frame are part of it

You have no idea what you will get. Will he make up for what your cows are lacking? He turned out red because the parents have a red genes. I do use Balancers (cross bred), but they have EPDs and DNA testing, so I have a good idea of what I should be able to expect. If you look you will be able to find a registered bull in your price range. There are people around me that buy some older Bulls (4 or 5 year olds) from me when I get ready to take them to town. Great genetics in the slaughter price range usually. Just make sure something like that has a breeding soundness exam. I believe we should always want to breed for a better animal. For what it is worth.

If you are just breeding calves to sell from a mixed up group of cows and the bulls parents seem of reasonable quality and his price is super cheap then why not. As long as you get calves on the ground is the most important driver of profitability by far and is a priority. After that getting a close calving group so you have an even line to sell as a pen of weaners and then improving the quality and a uniform of type of calf.

It sounds like you are at stage 1 so getting calves on the ground is the priority and the bull is cheap then give him a go but he would have to be very much under the price of a purebred bull which from what the others say you can pick up at a very reasonable price these days.

Ken

farmboy80":f92qta80 said:
Not sure what you mean? I'm going to keep him. I have a different pasture I can split him off in if I need to.

Sorry for not being clear.
It just seems like a hassle to have one young bull around. In this market you have to keep things uniform. With bull prices coming down you could ask around and find a good 5year old for not much more than market price. That way you know more of what your getting in bull and calves.

I'd wager the calves won't match and will sell as singles and you would have to throw another $400 at him to get him to breeding age. A $6000 bull on 30 cows for 5 years will cost you $40 per calf and add 2-3x that to their value. You could buy a bull for half that and still add value :2cents:

wbvs58":2kvrw292 said:
If you are just breeding calves to sell from a mixed up group of cows and the bulls parents seem of reasonable quality and his price is super cheap then why not. As long as you get calves on the ground is the most important driver of profitability by far and is a priority. After that getting a close calving group so you have an even line to sell as a pen of weaners and then improving the quality and a uniform of type of calf.

It sounds like you are at stage 1 so getting calves on the ground is the priority and the bull is cheap then give him a go but he would have to be very much under the price of a purebred bull which from what the others say you can pick up at a very reasonable price these days.

Ken
That's exactly where I'm at right now. And I've been looking for a bull for a while. This one is well in my price range and I like the looks of him and his parents. So I'm trying him out. Thanks Ken

Been where you are, and as Ken says, getting a crop of calves on the ground will be the biggest priority...That said, you also have until next June before you need a bull at the earliest. You could always get this bull calf, and then still keep your eyes open. You might find a bull that someone else is "trading off" because he has used him for 2 or 3 years and has daughters, or something like that. One thing, what color calves sell the best in your area? That should have some impact on what color bull you get. With the market being down, having the "desired" color will add a few pennies to the price and we can use every single extra penny we can get. Also. you didn't say how many cows you have for him to breed??? I am assuming this bull is a spring 2016 calf, so he will only be 15-16 months when your cows are calving. You don't want to overdo it (too many cows)with him the first time breeding.
Yes you should keep him separate from the cows when they start calving and then put him in when they are about 30 days fresh so that you get a uniform age group of calves which will give you more of an opportunity to sell them in groups instead of singles. I wouln't let him breed the early cow right back but keep him out til there is a group to breed. Since the majority aren't calving til June, I would think you might want to get the next calves out a bit sooner so I'd put him in late July to try to back the calving dates up to May instead of june.

Latest posts