Worst angus bull of the past two decades

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen good and bad calves and cows out of most of the bulls in the breed and i have to say there are alot of bulls that i cant use in my situation but in other places they may work fine. like the last few posts were talking about 8180 and i have an awsome grand daughter of his and the only reason i dont own her dam is that i couldnt afford to buy her she is at boyds in KY now. so like i said i think it all depends on your situation and the cows you own.

buckeyeangus":2rpbz877 said:
I have seen good and bad calves and cows out of most of the bulls in the breed and i have to say there are alot of bulls that i cant use in my situation but in other places they may work fine. like the last few posts were talking about 8180 and i have an awsome grand daughter of his and the only reason i dont own her dam is that i couldnt afford to buy her she is at boyds in KY now. so like i said i think it all depends on your situation and the cows you own.

Ditto. I'm sure everyone has found that some work better than others. Even in our own herd, some bulls mate better than others on the same cow. I suppose that is one good reason for utilizing different bulls to try and make the calf the best possible result, which will differ in each case. Even if there was one "magic or perfect bull" out there you wouldn't use him on everything, or at least we wouldn't - we need and like to offer our bull customers genetic variety (as well as ourselves) that will produce desired end results (which can also vary per customer). This being said, Fame still gets our worst bull vote (for our herd). ;-)

Double A":2wkury31 said:
buckeyeangus":2wkury31 said:

Ditto. I'm sure everyone has found that some work better than others. Even in our own herd, some bulls mate better than others on the same cow. I suppose that is one good reason for utilizing different bulls to try and make the calf the best possible result, which will differ in each case. Even if there was one "magic or perfect bull" out there you wouldn't use him on everything, or at least we wouldn't - we need and like to offer our bull customers genetic variety (as well as ourselves) that will produce desired end results (which can also vary per customer). This being said, Fame still gets our worst bull vote (for our herd). ;-)

While I understand what you are saying, would you not prefer to offer you customers some uniformity?

Crossbreeding certainly doesn't produce uniformity

SEC While I understand what you are saying said:
I couldn't agree more with you on crossbreeding. I believe the more like bred, the more consistant the end result (it just makes sense). However, not all of our customers (especially commercial) are searching for the same bull (some want more frame, others less; some more milk, others pounds, still others calving ease or carcass). We offer consistancy in our quality and actually, even with different sires, our calves are relatively uniform. We, like you, are striving to create the perfect cow or bull; however, none of our cows are exactly alike and have variable strengths and weaknesses. We try and mate up strengths and/or use an animals' strength to help a deficient area. We offer choices while adhering to our goals of producing the best possible animal. What I meant above was, it would be difficult to market a pen of bulls all sired by X, year after year - even if he was the "best" solution. Many of our commercial customers rely on us to keep them from getting inbred. What frustrates us the most is a bull that is promoted as "Super Bull" one year can barely be worth hamburger years later. I know much of this can be avoided by using the higher accuracy (older) sires; but, as you well know, sometimes you have to breed to the "now" bulls to keep your genetics current and just hope that you've made a good choice...

Double A":1yl1109n said:
buckeyeangus":1yl1109n said:

I will agree with you 100% that Fame is also one of my worst votes as well, along with that crazy old bad disposition bull VDAR Lucys Boy.

THG

THG,, I will make a bet with you.. 004 dead in four years.. Mark it down, have you seen any of the carcass coming back on raw killed data on steers average to below, what alot of people don't realize he is one of the most heavily used bulls in 2005 and 2006. What the Semen providers have been telling me is the sales have been down about 25% in 2007. Daughters of him are being culled right now due to lack of milk production at major herds.. He is his fathers son... 100% He will be dead in four years just to make his progeny marketable again... :) . But i could be wrong !!

My steers that have hit the rail in my neck of the woods have dressed out darn good. Also, I don't know about his daughters, but I have complete faith that they will milk well. Where did you hear or see about females in production?

THG

THG":16g8dfjc said:
My steers that have hit the rail in my neck of the woods have dressed out darn good. Also, I don't know about his daughters, but I have complete faith that they will milk well. Where did you hear or see about females in production?

THG

WIth 004 semen in high demand you have been finishing calves off of commercial cows?

Latest posts