Working Longer

Help Support CattleToday:

if your smart you wont ever retire to the point of sitting down.because ive seen and know people that done that.well they didnt live to much longer.me ive slowed down alot in the last 4yrs due tobe rough on my body.but i never intend to retire.my oldest is 60 now and he is helping my nephew custom bale hay all summer plus he works off farm 2 days a week.they are on a job now where they rolled 350 5 by 6 bales.an started cutting the last 100acs today.plus they have another custom job when they get done.plus 300 bales to haul in.

TCRanch said:
"Retirement" is subjective.[z/quote]

True. I'm sure everybody has their own definition. My idea of retirement is no longer being tied to a job for my livelihood and I can do what I want when I want. I no longer punch a clock or live by a work schedule.

If I want to sleep late and watch a classic western marathon for a week, I can do it. If I actually want to have some kind of job, I can do that too, and whenever it doesn't suite me any longer, l go home.

Whenever I talk to my boss about how my job is hard and stressful he always says "yeah, but think about what a man it is making out of you." I think there is a lot of truth to that.

I think every situation is different but staying active and enjoying life is crucial. Sometimes you gotta look around and enjoy life.

I've heard people talk about people retiring, slowing way down, and then they didn't live long. I know none of us have a promise of tomorrow regardless of our lifestyle. I think, however, that it applies to people who have been in a whirlwind of work activity their entire lives, and their lives revolve around work. When they suddenly stop in retirement, their body goes into shock from no longer being plugged in to the rat race and it leaves a hole where there career used to be.

As I stated before, I've nevet participated in the rat race, and I pace myself fairly well. I don't think retirement will be that much of a shock on my mind and body.

8 years ago I had two coworkers that were both 62.
One was well off financially and retired. The other is still working.
I saw them both last year at our annual meeting. The one that retired is old, slow and just not the same. His mind isn't as sharp and acts as if he's ready to quit life.
The other still puts in a days work and is physically fit.
He plays golf a lot, him and his wife travel most every weekend and acts like he'll live forever.

I had planned to retire at 40 and go full time into cattle, but when that day came I was too scared to actually do it.

It seems once everything you've dreamed of and worked for becomes a reality that you've built it up in your mind as being grander that it actually is.

I've traveled quite a bit this last year and having cattle has hindered that a lot.
Lots of weekends I had too much too do to get away.
Other times I was afraid to get too far away in case of a problem.
For me it's never been the cattle so much as the lifestyle, the country life, nature and outdoors.

I really dislike my job but I sure don't want to be without it.
Being married to a bunch of cows trying scratch out a profit isn't my idea of fun.

I enjoy fishing and bird hunting, but I don't want that to be my entire existence.
I want a job that I feel like I have to do so when the weekend comes I appreciate it more.

I listened to an economist say that you should retire as soon as possible and pick up a second career. Said you would come out much better financially when you decided to really retire.

I guess I was lucky my whole life. Never had a job I didn't enjoy doing (some more than others) and had one (cnc work) for 7 years I would almost have paid them to let me do.

I enjoyed reading all your posts. :) I remember when my Dad retired from being a businessman and he decided to start farming instead. That energized him.

I retired from the 9 to 5 job back the first of April. I tell people highly recommend retirement. I have stayed busy doing what I want to do. In fact I wonder how I ever had time to go to work. I had bought a boat because I figured I would have time to go fishing once I retired. I used it once since retiring. I see people who retire and pull up a chair in front of the TV. The majority of those people last a year maybe two. Between my pension and SS I take home almost as much as I did when working so money isn't an issue. Once again I highly recommend retirement.

Cross-7":3sm8965v said:
I saw them both last year at our annual meeting. The one that retired is old, slow and just not the same. His mind isn't as sharp and acts as if he's ready to quit life.
He plays golf a lot, him and his wife travel most every weekend and acts like he'll live forever.

I've heard a lot of stories like this, but I never personally knew anyone who fit that negative description after retiring and taking it easy. Anyone I know who actually retires acts like they're walking on air and have the weight of the world off their shoulders.

I must be in a realm that few are in. I was raised to believe that one is supposed to work and not be lazy when there are things to be done. My parents and grandparents both had good work ethic; however, I missed the part where one was supposed to like work and want to work all their lives.

ranchersswiss":2vngt4wv said:
I enjoyed reading all your posts. :) I remember when my Dad retired from being a businessman and he decided to start farming instead. That energized him.
same here,, I use to make money too... :cowboy:

herofan":2t4sbxmf said:
Cross-7":2t4sbxmf said:

I've heard a lot of stories like this, but I never personally knew anyone who fit that negative description after retiring and taking it easy. Anyone I know who actually retires acts like they're walking on air and have the weight of the world off their shoulders.

I must be in a realm that few are in. I was raised to believe that one is supposed to work and not be lazy when there are things to be done. My parents and grandparents both had good work ethic; however, I missed the part where one was supposed to like work and want to work all their lives.
I agree with the part "work and not be lazy when there are things to be done".....the remainder of the time, relax, spend quality time with the family or just do nothing.

TexasBred":2sr8vqzy said:
herofan":2sr8vqzy said:
Cross-7":2sr8vqzy said:

I agree with the part "work and not be lazy when there are things to be done".....the remainder of the time, relax, spend quality time with the family or just do nothing.

That sounds like a good philosophy to me! :nod:

well a part of it is having a job that you can enjoy at least part of....
I hate the government bureaucracy and red tape that I have to deal with...
especially people who don't know what they are doing so they cover their butts with unending requirements and hoops to jump through to make it relate to something they do know...or absolve them of liability.....

but I enjoy working with my producers and trying to be of some assistance to them....
this is my day off but I am here because a producer asked me to come up and meet with him and an engineer about a project he is about to begin...a project that I laid out and designed.....

I will also have an opportunity to discuss a new program that may have some application to him and at least let him know it is available.

so I will work a half day and then go home....

pdfangus":3sh5cvdh said:
well a part of it is having a job that you can enjoy at least part of....
I hate the government bureaucracy and red tape that I have to deal with...
especially people who don't know what they are doing so they cover their butts with unending requirements and hoops to jump through to make it relate to something they do know...or absolve them of liability.....

but I enjoy working with my producers and trying to be of some assistance to them....
this is my day off but I am here because a producer asked me to come up and meet with him and an engineer about a project he is about to begin...a project that I laid out and designed.....

I will also have an opportunity to discuss a new program that may have some application to him and at least let him know it is available.

so I will work a half day and then go home....

Working with the producers was the good part of the job. Trouble occurred when there was nearly a complete change in the board of directors. Turned the place into a hostile work environment. I was lucky in that I was able to retire. Until I moved other agency people and producers were calling me at home. Actually it was better because the red tape didn't matter to me after retirement.

Latest posts