Working from home

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
I've been working from home since about the third week of March, and I've got to say that while I of course regret the circumstances I'm kinda liking it. I'm getting up at the same time I always did, but since I don't have that 45 minute commute I'm working by 6:00 am. My wife fixes me something to eat around 11:00, so I eat that and then relax in the recliner for a while, and then go back to work. Around 2:30 or 3:00 pm (depending on how long I slept in the recliner) I'm done, and have the rest of the afternoon and evening to do whatever I want (or need) to do.

A time or two I've woken up extra early and not been able to get back to sleep (which seems to happen more frequently as I get older), so I went ahead and got up and went to work. I've been working at around 3:00 am several times. I know not everyone has that flexibility, but I'm enjoying it. After all this is over I'm thinking seriously about exploring the possibility of working from home 2 or 3 days a week long-term.

Rafter S said:
I've been working from home since about the third week of March, and I've got to say that while I of course regret the circumstances I'm kinda liking it. I'm getting up at the same time I always did, but since I don't have that 45 minute commute I'm working by 6:00 am. My wife fixes me something to eat around 11:00, so I eat that and then relax in the recliner for a while, and then go back to work. Around 2:30 or 3:00 pm (depending on how long I slept in the recliner) I'm done, and have the rest of the afternoon and evening to do whatever I want (or need) to do.

A time or two I've woken up extra early and not been able to get back to sleep (which seems to happen more frequently as I get older), so I went ahead and got up and went to work. I've been working at around 3:00 am several times. I know not everyone has that flexibility, but I'm enjoying it. After all this is over I'm thinking seriously about exploring the possibility of working from home 2 or 3 days a week long-term.

Good to hear from you.

I've been working from home as well. I've settled into a routine of working at night, spend my days on the farm.

Discovered a few things
1. Rainy days are boring
2. It cost a fortune to be home. Every single job on the farm cost money
3. I may not like retirement (very shocked by that)
4. I am more of a loaner than I ever dreamt possible
5. Been trying to work on my own equipment........Gotta stop that......I've totally screwed up some stuff
6. I cook 3 meals a day on the grill, and eat on paper plate. Almost no mess to deal with.

TCRanch said:
You're back! Working at 3:00 a.m.?! I'm up by 4:30 but not functional until at least my 6th cup of coffee.

Yes, I'm back, for better or worse. In case anyone is wondering, I didn't move to another cattle forum, just kind of been busy with other things.

Not usually up that early, but if I'm awake and can't sleep, why not?

I hate coffee. I tried it one time and it took two beers to get the taste out of my mouth. I start the day with a cup of hot chocolate and then switch to water.

Rafter S said:
TCRanch said:
You're back! Working at 3:00 a.m.?! I'm up by 4:30 but not functional until at least my 6th cup of coffee.

Yes, I'm back, for better or worse. In case anyone is wondering, I didn't move to another cattle forum, just kind of been busy with other things.

I hate coffee. I tried it one time and it took two beers to get the taste out of my mouth. I start the day with a cup of hot chocolate and then switch to water.

I've missed your posts! You gave me some great advise when I first joined, thank you.

Two beers after coffee? Hmmm, that might make my morning rounds a lot more fun!

TCRanch said:
Rafter S said:
TCRanch said:

I've missed your posts! You gave me some great advise when I first joined, thank you.

Two beers after coffee? Hmmm, that might make my morning rounds a lot more fun!

I'm glad I was missed, and glad I was able to help. And to be honest, it was in the evening when I tried the coffee and followed it with beer. I won't say I've never drank beer early in the morning, but I don't make a habit of it.

Rafter S said:
TCRanch said:

I'm dying! :lol2: I believe you tried the wrong kind of coffee. 😅

Chevy said:
Rafter S said:
TCRanch said:

I'm dying! :lol2: I believe you tried the wrong kind of coffee. 😅

I don't believe there's a right kind. It all smells bad, and I don't see how something that smells bad can taste good.

It's like marshmallows. I don't like them either, and can't stand the smell. When my children were small they loved Rice Krispie Treats. When we went to the store I'd let them buy some, but they weren't allowed to open the package in the truck.

Good to hear from you again!
I do like coffee, but hardly drink it anymore.. start my mornings with black tea

Bigfoot, if you're a LOANER, can I borrow you while? I got fences that need mending :p

As a school teacher, I've been working at home as well. I must say, if I'm going to teach students, I'd much rather do it in person at school than over the phone and virtually with a computer. It's just much better in person, and I think it's much more beneficial to the students.

On the other hand, being at home has solidified that I don't need a lot of stuff away from home to enjoy life and I'm going to love retirement. I'm not going anywhere to spend money other than an occasional trip to the grocery. I often tell people that a few years after I retire, I'll be one of those guys you see in some movies that people stumble upon his house in the woods. He has a long, white beard and he hasn't been to town in a year. That'll be me.

I like the doctor visits from home. Saves time and money when they just do a call. 😁

herofan said:
As a school teacher, I've been working at home as well. I must say, if I'm going to teach students, I'd much rather do it in person at school than over the phone and virtually with a computer. It's just much better in person, and I think it's much more beneficial to the students.

On the other hand, being at home has solidified that I don't need a lot of stuff away from home to enjoy life and I'm going to love retirement. I'm not going anywhere to spend money other than an occasional trip to the grocery. I often tell people that a few years after I retire, I'll be one of those guys you see in some movies that people stumble upon his house in the woods. He has a long, white beard and he hasn't been to town in a year. That'll be me.

Hey, wait a minute!!!!

By the way, that picture is 1-1/2 years old. The beard is longer now, but I'm still just as pretty.

Rafter S said:
herofan said:

Hey, wait a minute!!!!

By the way, that picture is 1-1/2 years old. The beard is longer now, but I'm still just as pretty.

Yep, That may be me in a few. Do you go to town over once a year? :lol2:

herofan said:
Rafter S said:
herofan said:

Hey, wait a minute!!!!

Yep, That may be me in a few. Do you go to town over once a year? :lol2:

I do, but no more than I have to.

Latest posts