Work Style

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2sc5sx1k said:
I can't just sit in a rocking chair or watch tv.
I am piddling on something most of the day. Now replacement parts changed on how I approach a lot of things, thank goodness for them.
Replacement parts for what you're working on or for that ragged a$$ old body you're dragging around?? ;-)

Some people cannot work and talk at the same time. I never understood that.

Also don't understand why I have to stop any activity when company or family shows up. If they want to talk, they can come on out and see me in the berry patch or chicken pen or where ever. We don't have to go sit in the living room in front of the television to have a conversation. Different upbringing I suppose.

backhoeboogie":2u3abces said:
Some people cannot work and talk at the same time. I never understood that.

Also don't understand why I have to stop any activity when company or family shows up. If they want to talk, they can come on out and see me in the berry patch or chicken pen or where ever. We don't have to go sit in the living room in front of the television to have a conversation. Different upbringing I suppose.

Different upbringing is probably correct. When I was growing up, I used to think that all "normal" people were wired the same deep down, but for some reason, people just chose to do different things at times. As I've gotten older, however, I've learned that people are just wired differently and are influenced by many different things like upbringing and environment, and now I'm fascinated at what makes people tick. Workaholics can't understand why some people like tv and the recliner in the evening, and people who love vacations can't understand homebodies, and the list goes on.

Concerning people stopping by, I suppose it would depend on several things as to whether I stopped and chatted. For one, it would depend on who it was. If it was somebody I saw all the time and they were just coming by a few minutes, I might keep piddling if it were something I could keep working on and be sociable at the same time. If I'm in the middle of mowing hay, they're not going to stop just to socialize anyway when they see what I'm doing. If I'm mowing the lawn, on the other hand, I'd feel silly to just keep mowing while someone was standing there. If it's a friend or relative I haven't seen in a while and I'm glad to see them, or if it's the preacher, I'm sure I'd stop what I'm doing and socialize.

I don't have that issue anyway, because a "living room" visit is not really something people around here would expect in the middle of the day unless it's Sunday. It wouldn't be odd at all to have "company" on Sunday after church time since nobody is working, or at least no more work than what has to be done like treating a sick cow or something.

Neighbor behind me is busier than heck. Burns up the road going to town. Stock trailer one trip, flatbed the next. Always in a hurry.

But it takes him forever to get anything done. He doesn't plan his day and he never gets everything he needs in one trip. I think there are days when I have more done before lunch than he gets done all day, but he stays busy and probably looks more productive than me.

We were working on our shared fence a couple of years ago, and I bet he made 6 trips to his shop while I made 1. He drove back to get bar oil for his saw, gloves, a drink and I can't remember what else while I already had everything I needed with me. And those trips always involved a snack or something else that took an extra 5 or 10 minutes.

Does it really matter when your working for yourself how much or how fast you work? I like getting stuff done but I'm not going to let work ruin my fun. I pushed really hard to get the most and be the best at what I did for years. If I knew then what I know now, I'd of slowed down and enjoyed the moment. You get where you can afford to do things that your physically not able to. Life's short enjoy it when you can.

True Grit Farms":wpftnxgn said:
Does it really matter when your working for yourself how much or how fast you work? I like getting stuff done but I'm not going to let work ruin my fun. I pushed really hard to get the most and be the best at what I did for years. If I knew then what I know now, I'd of slowed down and enjoyed the moment. You get where you can afford to do things that your physically not able to. Life's short enjoy it when you can.

No, it doesn't matter at all how much or how fast you work when you work for yourself. My point in the original post was that there are those who are "out and about" all day, but don't really get anything done and aren't working all that hard, yet they consider themselves a cut above their neighbors who are sitting in the shade at 4:00 or put in 8 hours and call it a day.

When I helped my friend that I described in my original post, I actually didn't mind the day at all. It was rather enjoyable, and I certainly didn't feel overworked. His work-pace only got my attention because he is one of those who will stay out all day and doesn't get done what most do by dinner, but he will speak negatively of others who don't appear to be on the go all the time. I've noticed there are a lot of people like this.

After observing how people operate, however, I've noticed it's more of a lifestyle preference. Some people would rather just be outside all day, so they consider it honorable that they appear to be in work-mode as opposed to being in the recliner after 8 hours like their neighbor. I'm actually surprised that some people here indicate they do a little slower pace and try to not let work ruin their enjoyment of life. A few years ago there was a thread here about work, and some were even quoting Bible verses trying to convince people that they should work all the time; even on Sunday.

I believe work and busy are often used as interchangeable. When I think of "work," I think of more physical labor. My mind runs back to my young days when my grandfather ran the farm and putting wooden fence post around the farm with hand diggers, or hauling in baled hay without an elevator to put it in the loft or "grubbing" as they called it. My grandfather never owned a bush-hog, so they would go in the fields with a brier hook and clear weeds. I also remember putting on shingle roof when we carried the bundles up the ladder instead of an elevator. Oh, and we actually used hammers instead of nail-guns. My father also remembers when someone came to your house to work, such as building a shed or whatever, they came in the morning, worked all day, and left in the evening. They didn't make 5 trips to town during the day.

I haven't described anything that is tougher than anyone else has done. I'm just saying that I think of physical labor when I think of work. I remember hearing an old-timer once say that anybody who says they enjoy working all the time isn't working too hard.

True Grit Farms":13ifd90u said:
AMEN BRO. !!!!!!

TexasBred":29scr2pm said:
True Grit Farms":29scr2pm said:
AMEN BRO. !!!!!!

I agree. There is not enough money in cattle to not enjoy it. :clap:

True Grit Farms":2e6ca22i said:
time is money! But how you spend your time or money doesn't matter to me, if you like to take it slow I don't see how I could possibly take issue with that

ez14.":2oxcq76v said:
True Grit Farms":2oxcq76v said:
time is money! But how you spend your time or money doesn't matter to me, if you like to take it slow I don't see how I could possibly take issue with that

Father Time and Ma Nature will slow you down like it or not sooner or later.

Caustic Burno":3sd5camp said:
ez14.":3sd5camp said:
True Grit Farms":3sd5camp said:

Father Time and Ma Nature will slow you down like it or not sooner or later.
all good thing must come to an end! I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

Latest posts