Words from back in the day

Help Support CattleToday:

Tommy Ruyle

Reaction score
If you remember all these words and phrases, retirement is very close.

A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like "curb feelers"

"Steering Knobs." (AKA) suicide knob

Any kids will probably have to find some "older" person to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When is the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply"expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in use. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now. "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" in affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this. :D

I still use "store bought" all the time. Used it yesterday in the Plasma cutter thread.

Light Bread.

Sweet Milk.

We still use dash board, floor board and such to describe automobiles and they haven't been boards in years. You all probably remember board beds in pick-ups. You all probably remember what fleet side means. Turtle hull too. Rumble seat is going to take ya'll way back. I actually rode on a rumble seat once.

Jim62":7kmmvce3 said:
"Bras" are not used too much any more either, Tommy, no matter what you call them. :banana:

I don't know how the wimmens dress where you are, but in my part of the state, I should hope they still are a vital part of the wardrobe experience. I don't need to see the twins dangling.

Yea, I used to "peel out" in my "chopped and channeled" "Vic" with "ported, polished and relieved" "flat head" with "three dueces"-"Strombergs", no less. We used to go to the "drive in" where they served pop corn with "oleo" on it. We would "make out" in the back seat and then read the reviews in the paper so's we could describe what happened in the movie to our folks the next day. They always had "double features" with "news reels" and a "serial" and cartoons, all for a quarter. Even at that price there would be 6 or 7 folks in the "trunk" sneakin' in.

Earl Thigpen":fqhp3i7n said:
Yea, I used to "peel out" in my "chopped and channeled" "Vic" with "ported, polished and relieved" "flat head" with "three dueces"-"Strombergs", no less. We used to go to the "drive in" where they served pop corn with "oleo" on it. We would "make out" in the back seat and then read the reviews in the paper so's we could describe what happened in the movie to our folks the next day. They always had "double features" with "news reels" and a "serial" and cartoons, all for a quarter. Even at that price there would be 6 or 7 folks in the "trunk" sneakin' in.

My home town had a drive-in forever, one of the last, and may still. I can remember going there as a family to see Disney films and us kids would just run around. Pink Panther cartoons. It was a great place to be in the middle of the summer. I never went a lot as a teenager. I didn't date much and I spent most evenings studying and practicing music. Did sneak out of the house one night on a date with a boy my dad fobid me to see. It was after my parents left for the evening. I ran out to catch his truck and we went to the drive-in. It was Kramer vs Kramer. I didn't remember the movie, but my parents were at the same show, and we didn't know it till the movie was over and we were leaving. He had to take the back roads and drive on two wheels to get me home before they got home. \

I was sitting waiting for them when they came in, with my clothes on under my robe. I was watching Romeo and Juliet on PBS.

That is my drive in story. Pardon the hijack. :heart: :D

And
Fender skirts
Lake pipes
Cut outs (exhaust)
Curb finders
and also we used to split the manifold on the old inline 6 cylenders to install duals.
And used chery bombs.

Cal

Jalopy":3qkehoje said:
A car that was "jacked" was just on spacers on the coil springs not stolen
lake pipes- for the exhaust
sodie for pop

Actually, I don't hear "Jalopy" much anymore..........

When did "necking" become "making out"? I recall wehn dad got a "super heterodyne" radio, for it's era it sure had great sound.

Latest posts