Wood splitter

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a wood splitterup till now i have alway's used a hammer and wedg but last fall found out that that hammer could outlast me so any suggestions?

Thank's
rattler

TSC sells husky wood splitters.an they are real good splitters.but id get a 30 ton splitter.

I got a local built one for the 3 point hitch, works great and the advantage is if I am splitting 30 plus inch blocks I can almost put her on the ground to roll the block onto. $900

What is bad is that I can't split anywhere except where I can get the cab tractor, and although I am not maintaining another gas engine, I am running an 80 horse diesel to run a wood splitter.

Another advantage is it is so quiet - can put the radio on in the tractor and listen to the news and the world going to hell while splitting wood! :lol:

Mines rated 20 ton.

We have a Briggs and Straton that is 20+ years old, and recently had the first serious work done - a good friend who is handy all but rebuilt the motor on it, but it still looks brand new. It is a wonderful piece of equipment. Anybody who's gonna cut firewood and can spare the cash should get one.

Thank's for all the advice guy's i appericate it.

ALX my Father inlaw has one that work's off the tractor he said i could borrow but i don't like to borrow anything seem's like everytime i do something tear' s up.

rattler

rattler":3vruuff8 said:
Thank's for all the advice guy's i appericate it.

ALX my Father inlaw has one that work's off the tractor he said i could borrow but i don't like to borrow anything seem's like everytime i do something tear' s up.

rattler

They are pretty indestructable rattler, and wood splitting is usually something you can plan ahead for.
Mine weighs only 250 lbs so it's something you can heave in the truck.

Lottsa guys make their own as well. Probably for less than $400.

I built a 3 pt hitch hydraulic splitter. It was OK.
I bought a wore out screw type pto driven splitter for $50. I sharpened the point I like it much better and its faster. Splits while idling and doesnt take much space fits between trailer and tractor. Naturally I sold the hydraulic splitter on craigslist.

Do not buy a new splitter with briggs and stratton motor .... TRUST ME on that.... Now the old stuff I have a old riding mower 17 years old with a briggs and stratton on it .. runs like a champ... I also had bought a pressure washer and had briggs on it garbage.... Its sad for me to say that now but... go with a Honda motor on whatever you buy or use a 3pt hitch splitter those are also good... I own a tree service business and sell firewood trust me on that...

I would like to Thank every one for the info.I hav never owned a wood splitter and to be honest i thought i never would but am looking fowerd to retiring the hammer and wedg.Agin thank's. skyhigh the only briggs we still have on the place is on the generator it is a 18hp I/c plus had the honda engine on my mind.

rattler

The 3 point build your own cost estimates are about right. The spool valve will cost you $100 and the cylinder about $175 if I remember correctly. Wedge is about $20 and you'll need pins, steel for guides, hoses, I beam frame etc. I am pretty sure I spent just over $300 but already had most of the steel and hoses. My only problem was using the wrong type of I beam this time. A guy offered me a lot of nickels for my old one so I let it go. Built the new one with a longer stroke but the I beam is tapered. I have already pushed the foot off and the I beam keeps breaking in the heat affected zone of the weld. (twice now). Next time it breaks I am replacing the I beam.

Where it breaks it does not have a soft foot - the way it is put together. Just sorry material. In the mean time I am looking for a good piece of used beam.

I bought a used huskey from an estate sale and have not regretted it at all. My dad broke the pump handle by tripping over a log and tractor supply gave me a whole new pump because they failed to order the part for me like they said they would. It is a thrirty ton and the tractor never runs ove an idle.

Latest posts