Chainsaw wood carving...............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Anybody tried it? I bought a saw, bar and giving it a try as my bear head looks more like a hogs head so far. Maybe I will show a picture if it improves. Here is my finish carving saw and some of the saws cutting out the carving block and doing the pre-finish work.

Well worth the watch......a video cutting out an eagle with a saw...... towards the end using the small pointed bar to do the finish work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyDaxzeFaRk

Here is some of the guys finished chainsaw carving work....

https://www.google.com/search?q=Scott+K ... 24&bih=635

Finish carving saw with a carving bar, 1/4 chain, and sprocket setup.

If interested here is the setup to buy........they sell like hot cakes it looks like.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-12-inch- ... XQgJRQ-pO2

6CmuiPA.jpg

A few of the cutout saws and pre-finish saws.

Stihl MS250

btrWNyn.jpg

Like new very very low hours Stihl MS260 Pro saw

FEz3CFw.jpg

A regular MS260 low hours

6iFGICj.jpg

My favorite of all a Stihl 026 Pro saw with all the features with a 3/8 lo-profile picco bar and chain.

tC9SnsK.jpg

My wife did a fine job of a bear that stands at the end of the driveway holding up our sign. I was pretty nervous about her attempting it because she was a city girl at the time and had never run a chainsaw. But she was undeterred and survived unscathed.

Silver":2mfgf61z said:
My wife did a fine job of a bear that stands at the end of the driveway holding up our sign. I was pretty nervous about her attempting it because she was a city girl at the time and had never run a chainsaw. But she was undeterred and survived unscathed.

It is a lot of fun it just takes time and talent of which I don't have much of.

I tried it and only thing I could make and it be good was a chair... I realized that's not for me especially since I cant draw

I'm with Sky.. can't do artsy stuff worth a darn
I probably ought to be on Hoarders too.. I think I've got around 20-25 running saws... 5x Husky 65's, 2x Husky 61's, 3x Husky 288's, 2x Husky 394's, 4x Husky 2100, Husky 31, Stihl 009L, 028WB, 044, 064, Ford (O&R) Eagle, Pioneer 1073.. Couple little homelites.. Also got a little Homelite water pump

skyhightree1":3kvjkxt6 said:
I tried it and only thing I could make and it be good was a chair... I realized that's not for me especially since I cant draw
Maybe start with something simpler??
I don't want any of this kind of thing around my place, but there's a guy down on Bolivar Peninsula that is making good $$$ making and selling these things every weekend.
(My brother had a wooden mermaid the same guy made..she looked pretty good till one of her boobs cracked open)

Nesikep":26vpzxd7 said:
I probably ought to be on Hoarders too.. I think I've got around 20-25 running saws... 5x Husky 65's, 2x Husky 61's, 3x Husky 288's, 2x Husky 394's, 4x Husky 2100, Husky 31, Stihl 009L, 028WB, 044, 064, Ford (O&R) Eagle, Pioneer 1073.. Couple little homelites.. Also got a little Homelite water pump

I know this sounds stupid but i never took a inventory of how many saws i have.. I have one saw that was my grandfathers id like to fix up

greybeard":2r2uk4o5 said:
skyhightree1":2r2uk4o5 said:
I don't want any of this kind of thing around my place, but there's a guy down on Bolivar Peninsula that is making good $$$ making and selling these things every weekend.
(My brother had a wooden mermaid the same guy made..she looked pretty good till one of her boobs cracked open)

LOL I think i will stick to sawing logs thats about as artistic as I want to go... Funny maybe she had a faulty implant and it busted

greybeard":zhbyq1cf said:
skyhightree1":zhbyq1cf said:

LOL I think i will stick to sawing logs thats about as artistic as I want to go... Funny maybe she had a faulty implant and it busted

Saw a feller doing that up around the Red River Gorge, and some businesses around there have carved out bears, that look pretty good detail. I think that it would take more talent, skill, steadiness, patience, and lots of other qualities that I don't really have a lot of singularly let alone combining all of them.

Nesikep":t1qvqtxz said:

That is a nice line up of saws...I have had a couple 65L Huskys, had a 61 Husky and thought about putting a 372 topend on it to make a 72cc saw, had a real nice 009 Stihl and sold it, those Ford saws are highly collectible and sell high, those 288's and 394's in good shape are still bout as good as you can get and better than the new EPA saws.

jltrent":q37h8wnp said:
Nesikep":q37h8wnp said:

That is a nice line up of saws...I have had a couple 65L Huskys, had a 61 Husky and thought about putting a 372 topend on it to make a 72cc saw, had a real nice 009 Stihl and sold it, those Ford saws are highly collectible and sell high, those 288's and 394's in good shape are still bout as good as you can get and better than the new EPA saws.
I put a 272 top end on one of the 61's, modified a crank from an L65 and made it 77cc, ported, then I put a pipe on it.. the thing is wicked fun now.. 11,500 RPM in the cut with a 34" bar.. The Ford was given to me.. has fuel line issues but runs OK if you keep the tank full.. don't use it much though. I'll keep it for a long time yet.
I just got the 288's and haven't taken them apart to make one perfect saw out of them.. covers are all a little faded, I'm talking mechanical.. one is a little down on compression, that one has heated handles and a low top.. I want a high top... The 394's.. one is ported, high top, the other is a low top.. stock.. all the big saws are full wrap handles

skyhightree1":3b6qw4qv said:
https://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/d/wood-carvings/6592129636.html
cypress knees?
I've seen a lot of table lamps made with them, but that's about it.
I try to keep the knees mowed down.

skyhightree1":12vd5mp1 said:
https://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/d/wood-carvings/6592129636.html

I like that bear, but wonder how much he would charge to make the head a little smaller?

VAgWEhT.jpg

The bear has had a stroke................the whole left side of it's face & head is sagging down including it's eye socket and left ear.

Latest posts