Chainsaw wood carving...............

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":a9249sph said:
skyhightree1":a9249sph said:
https://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/d/wood-carvings/6592129636.html
cypress knees?
I've seen a lot of table lamps made with them, but that's about it.
I try to keep the knees mowed down.

Yep cypress knees lol

jltrent":1d0b0yqb said:
skyhightree1":1d0b0yqb said:
https://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/d/wood-carvings/6592129636.html

I like that bear, but wonder how much he would charge to make the head a little smaller?

VAgWEhT.jpg

lmao

greybeard":3kw8sdtp said:
The bear has had a stroke................the whole left side of it's face & head is sagging down including it's eye socket and left ear.

i wonder what he did or didn't do that created that issue

greybeard":3rtu3kqi said:
The bear has had a stroke................the whole left side of it's face & head is sagging down including it's eye socket and left ear.

Good eye GB, I don't need a bear that has had a stroke..........not interested.

I had a friend in the tree service business who used to bring me loads of wood and one time he brought me a gigantic chunk of an elm that was about 6' diameter. It was about 10' long. I had it stood up on end along side my driveway for quite a while. Whenever someone asked me what I was going to do with it I told them I was going to carve an Indian in full headdress shooting a bow and arrow, with an eagle perched on his shoulder. Obviously this never happened but I always enjoyed telling people that.

This is my setup. Although new at wood carving, its come pretty natural to me. May have been what I was suppose to do all along. This chunk is going to be a life sized deer. I'll put it on our balcony, it will be jumping over it to the downstairs. I use a lot of different carving tools, chainsaw is one. I have a gas and a electric. I use grinders of all sorts. This piece of tree was almost solid doty, which, makes for very easy carving.

My last project..Looked like a shriveled chad for weeks. Everyone that looked at it had doubts..

Going to look into different bars for my chainsaw. My son was telling me of one he saw a while back that sounded interesting...he said you could strip bark off a tree really quick..

When people say the wood tells you what it wants to be, its true. My husband dropped off that chunk of wood, which wasn't the one I wanted. So it sat there for a few weeks. I was chopping away on the piece that will eventually be a bear, because it didn't want to be a wooden indian, the piece on the ground said, "Im that deer you've always wanted." The log I thought was a indian,... I was walking through the house and somehow a clear pattern I used in my projector was on the floor in front of me. It was a bear head I was trying to teach myself how to do the ears, hardest part, and it just laid there looking at me..I was like, OF COURSE!!, that's why I was having trouble seeing a indian, its suppose to be a bear. And in the defense of the above bear, the wood dictates how its cut. A crack, a loose part, a knot that distracts, will alter how its cut. I have a horse head i'm trying to finish and half his nose fell off...So I altered it to fit flat on the wall...Really hated that, could have glued it, but its not what the wood wanted. It also had a knot near where they eye was to go, very very distracting..Probably why its head is not straight on the bear....it happens
I usually have 3 to 5 carving projects going at once....

Latest posts