Wood working ?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
My old belt/disc sander is giving up the ghost. It has a 1/2 hp motor and bogs down and stops turning with very little pressure on the belt. The majority of the new ones I see are only 1/3 hp but they have different types of motors. Cap start induction, single phase, etc. What type of motor is best for this kind of useage? There are bunch of them all in the same price range but the only real difference between them is the motor.

Morning, Dun. The size of the motor is pretty much your choice but one thing that is common among all electric motors used on woodworking tools is it must/should meet TEFC (Totally Enclosed, Fan Cooled) standards. I know you know this being the geek :D you are that they also make capacitor run motors as well as capacitor start motors. How many caps do you have on your motor? If two then your motor is a cap start and cap run. Change the cap for shifting the phase on the run side and you might not have to replace the motor. And I almost forgot, get a cap start replacement motor. Induction motors really don't have a lot of starting torque.

So what project are you working on? I am doing a remodel of a bathroom. The glass surround for the shower is being installed today. I am about to finish up with a cabinet I built. It has six doors on the front that are driving me nuts trying to get them aligned.

Mostly building whirlygigs. Gives me something to do when the weather is too crappy and I'm tired of reading.
I ordered the middle priced one from Grizzly. It;s direct drive where the old one is belt drive.

Yea, Grizzly does make good tools. I almost bought a Grizzly table saw a few years ago but the cheapskate in me made me get a Jet instead. Been pretty pleased with it.

lavacarancher":271cnab0 said:
Yea, Grizzly does make good tools. I almost bought a Grizzly table saw a few years ago but the cheapskate in me made me get a Jet instead. Been pretty pleased with it.
Anymore I've gotten to the age that I only buy reputable name brands that I know some thing about. It may still be made in china like the crap from harbor freight, but at least I know the company will stand behind their products and the likelihood that I'll have to spend a couple of hours fixing it before I can use it the first time is much less.

We pretty much use Dewalt for the most part. But if I had a shop, I'd probably go with grizzly. I can't stand tools that don't hold up. Been having trouble with my Senco nail guns lately.

Any one near Ardmore Oklahoma and in need of some top of the line power tools. Turning laths, table saws and other tools contact me by PM. The man needs to sell and he told me the tools are 1/2 price of new and in very good shape.

So what project are you working on? I am doing a remodel of a bathroom. The glass surround for the shower is being installed today. I am about to finish up with a cabinet I built. It has six doors on the front that are driving me nuts trying to get them aligned.[/quote]

Anytime things don't line up it can only be the guberments fault.

Latest posts