wood floor in stock trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Dsth

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a new stock trailer with a wooden floor. One local dealer has the floor running front to back. The other uses tongue and groove running side to side. I have read online reviews stating that lumber running front to rear can become super slick once it gets wet but have not been able to find any reviews on floors running side to side. I would be interested in pros or cons from anyone that has experience with either one. My old trailer that I scrapped out about 20 years ago had t & g running side to side, so I am leaning in that direction.

A buddy of mine bought a Gooseneck brand pipe trailer a couple years ago with the cleated rubber floor boards, spaced so the manure could go between them and placed sideways in the trailer. Best setup I've seen, personally. You could haul horses on there without the concern of a shoe getting caught under the panel mentioned above.

Cfpinz, that is also what I have and consider it the best floor available. I would not buy a trailer until I could afford one with this type of floor.

Cfpinz, that is also what I have and consider it the best floor available. I would not buy a trailer until I could afford one with this type of floor.
You're spot on. I've got an Eby now with the solid sides other than the vents at top and a small slot at the bottom. I feel like the solid sides are only necessary during January and parts of Dec/Feb here and further South, otherwise a pipe trailer would be a lot handier for me - easier to drag roped/tranq's cows onto for sure. The diamondplate floor is easy to clean, but comes with it's own set of concerns for traction for both cows and horses. I'd love to try an aluminum Gooseneck brand with pipe sides and the rubber cleat floor, assuming the sides could hold up to ropes being pulled through.

Latest posts