Metal or Wood ?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
When looking for storage of machinery or a shop for a junk haven or hay storage which do you choose ? I have been looking at some metal sheds where I get my carports from and these are some im looking at.

carport%202_zps3lspdkby.png

carport_zpscfgz07he.png

looked at this for hay storage but seemed kind of high to me what do you all think? I think it can be done way cheaper with wood even if you bought the wood from a store or used telephone poles. I have logs I get milled so I know I can do it way cheaper. The major factor is no termites or carpenter bees on metal.

carport%203_zpsx3pm9nfu.png

dun":1ovt3u7w said:
My preference is always metal over wood for structures

I like metal too .. I will have to save up some before can do the metal.

greybeard":1ovt3u7w said:
Are those assembled/installed prices or a bundled kit you have to put up yourself?

Those are installed prices

i just got quoted 7800 for a 40x40x10 wood frame w/ metal exterior.. material price

ddd75":3o75m9c4 said:
i just got quoted 7800 for a 40x40x10 wood frame w/ metal exterior.. material price

Will a 10' sidewall be tall enough to meet your present and future needs? I've got a shed with 8' sidewalls and wish it was taller because only cars, pickups, or non-cab tractors will fit in it :oops: IMO, most cab tractors and round balers need a minimum height of 12' :idea:

Yes metal is nice (don't buy anything other than galvanized), but wood is so much cheaper and yields a larger roof/building.

My dad and I just finished building our shop which we built a metal pole shop. We used 4" scrap pipe instead of wood posts. If I was to do it over again, I would do a wood post and metal truss building. For example: 40x60x12 roof kit is $4800 in my area - http://lafayette.craigslist.org/grq/5098701561.html

Co-worker just built a similar shop but I'll have to ask him about his pricing. I know his was complete with slab and all.

Latest posts