Wood chipper

Help Support CattleToday:

Petercoates87

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been a while since I posted. But been thinking about buying a wood chipper. Looking at a 5hp one I can get used locally. I have roughly 8 acres of land I'll be cutting the trees off of that I can chip the branches. My question is. Do you guys think I could chip enough branches to equal the same amount of sawdust I could just go and bag up in the same amount of time. I'm wondering if it might be worth it. You know what I mean.

I'd say the cheapest option would be a larger 3 point version for a tractor. Or just buy a used professional grade Vermeer and sell it after you're done.

Might consider just renting a bobcat with a forestry mulcher attachment. A couple weeks with one of those will turn a lot of trees into wood chips

Think those 8 acres of tree branches would rot on their own before you could get them stuffed into a 5 hp chipper. How big are these trees? Is the goal to get rid of the branches and trees or make chips and sawdust for another use?

The plan is to use the wood chipper when I'm cutting off some trees not to use it just for clearing the brush. And I'm planning on using the wood chips as bedding for the my cattle.

The plan is to use the wood chipper when I'm cutting off some trees not to use it just for clearing the brush. And I'm planning on using the wood chips as bedding for the my cattle.
It is going to take a lot of chips to make enough bedding to use for more than just a few cattle. While it can be done, I think it will take more than a 5hp machine to get the job done. I see that @kenny thomas has seen this thread. I would like to know his thoughts.

It is going to take a lot of chips to make enough bedding to use for more than just a few cattle. While it can be done, I think it will take more than a 5hp machine to get the job done. I see that @kenny thomas has seen this thread. I would like to know his thoughts.
I had a 12hp DR. Had the thought of trimming the limbs around the fences. Worked about an hour and put it in the barn and 2 year later sold it. If you need chips for bedding just buy them.

I had a woodland mills chipper that was PTO driven and I ran it with a JD 5075e. It was rated for 8" diameter stuff and would do it with ease. Other then getting something like the commercial tree guys have it might be one of heaviest duty types you can get, not sure but it was a beast.

With all of that said, I had better ways to spend time then fiddling with chipping stuff up with that thing. I could of hired someone to come in with a forestry mulcher and done more then I could accomplish and I could of been sipping some tea or lemonade and counting a few extra dollars I would of saved. I imagine I felt the same feeling some do when they sell their boat or get rid of their pool when that thing left here.

Seems like cows pooping and peeing on wood chips would make some really nice compost.

Seems like cows pooping and peeing on wood chips would make some really nice compost.
Some of those regenerative guys that right books talk a lot about using wood chips for bedding. Looks like pretty good compost by the end of the year. Looks like a lot of work too. But I'm not in a part of the world were there is ever really a need to supply bedding of any kind.

I have one I could sell you! I started it up once when it was new just to make sure it would run. 2 years later looking to sell. Every time I get ready to fire it up I remember the Fargo movie...will make you a great deal.

Wood chippers are a great tool for slopping the hogs too. Census Enumerator Casserole and Jehovah's Witness Delight are among the favorites.

The small chipper that I used a few years ago didn't make real fine chips. Was more like garden mulch.

If you want good, fine chips, find someone that processes a lot of rough sawn lumber with a planer and see if they'll give you some of their chips.

Quite often a tree service company is looking for a place to dump wood chips. Could be a free source.
Gotta watch those people. They were trimming on our road and I ask to have them dump a few loads. I wasn't there when they dumped and when I got back there was a bunch of logs in the pile that they didn't chip. Got a bunch of fire wood out of it but It was sure a pain to have those piles.

I use shavings in my horse trailer, and around my calving chute to soak things up. But they are dry shavings, not green sawdust or chips. I don't think That would make bedding that I'd be interested in.

Latest posts