Treated wood vs Pipe

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
I'm fixing to rebuild my main corral/lot. Opinions on ground contact pressure treated lumber vs metal pipe. Cost? Durability? Any opinions appreciated.

If you 'have' to go with wood, GO BIG and I mean cut utility poles for posts and repurposed 3" bridge timbers for rails. Regular dimensional PT lumber won't hold up.

I would have loved to have built with pipe but wood was more in the budget. This picture is from 2014 when it was new and we've yet to replace a board. There are heavy gauge wire panels on the inside to absorb pressure.

Biggest obstacle with using pipe is we don't have any good sources to buy any used materials around here to the best of my knowledge. No doubt it would work great but I can't afford to buy new pipe. At least I don't think I can. I do have a lot built out of guardrail that I'm gonna disassemble and reuse.

Out of curiosity, what would a pipe trap work out to per linear foot? I can put up 5 2" x 6" X 12' with a pressure treated post every 6' for about $6 a foot. The actual "working" part of my facility is 2" x 8". 6 boards high. It's close to 7' tall, and nothing goes over it or through it. That's actually a little spendy for my blood.

I haven't priced the pipe lately that I was building with, I know it's lower than what I paid but I have priced continuous fence. 6 bar is 68 a 20' panel and you'll still need post. That's 3.40 a foot.
Even though I only use metal I have thought of using highline poles and continuous fence for a lot I'm needing to build. I have a huge pile of poles.
Only thing by the time I rent the auger and skidsteer for the holes I can prol buy the pipe for poles and I can drive it in.
I don't use used pipe either, get seconds in new pipe. Buy from a place that sells tons of it for fence.

Bigfoot":xtm9fuj9 said:
Out of curiosity, what would a pipe trap work out to per linear foot? I can put up 5 2" x 6" X 12' with a pressure treated post every 6' for about $6 a foot. The actual "working" part of my facility is 2" x 8". 6 boards high. It's close to 7' tall, and nothing goes over it or through it. That's actually a little spendy for my blood.

MY MATERIAL figures in
5 rail pipe 23/8 rails and 27/8 post comes to 8 dollars a foot including welding rods and saw blades , fuel etc.

Additional or less rails about 90 cents per
Cattle panels welded on inside 2.00

callmefence":2ac1ntrd said:
Bigfoot":2ac1ntrd said:

MY MATERIAL figures in
5 rail pipe 23/8 rails and 27/8 post comes to 8 dollars a foot including welding rods and saw blades , fuel etc.

Additional or less rails about 90 cents per
Cattle panels welded on inside 2.00

Thanks. I'd think my cost would be considerably higher. For materials especially.

Bigfoot":2b3ym62t said:

I've got a Lincoln buzz box in my shop, and a little 120 mig. My generator will probably only run my little wire feed. So long story short unless my little wife feed will handle a project like that, I'm relegated to hiring it out. I like the pile corners, I see people doing on here. I would like to get set up to do those. I'm probably looking at several dollars just for the ability.

Latest posts